What's next for Nexus

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay so we have a new N7 and N5 what will be next from the Nexus line we need a new N10 but what about next year do we see a new N& and Nexus phone again??

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I presume a larger tablet is next. Just for golf's reason and a new one hasn't been released yet.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay so we have a new N7 and N5 what will be next from the Nexus line we need a new N10 but what about next year do we see a new N& and Nexus phone again??

Right now and onward is to improve on design and soft on current N7,N5 and soon N10 2013. They will continue come out with two new tablets and one phone year at least.

They have now a nice and recognizable design for nexus line and more important a trademark design for Google. With the Nexus 5 now their software has a Google eccentric purpose. All this will naturally progressive for the better.

Google has watch and the glass still to add to their Android ecosystem. This will probably shape most of android software updates to come.

I like 4.4 launcher but I just wish Google would add the more useful widgets that sense and touchwiz have. Furthermore add some of the stapled features that are in every oem skinned android os but not in stock android.

Regardless I happy with what Google has done and see an exciting future for the Nexus line especially for next year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

FrankA1

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: What apps enhance Nexus

I like 4.4 launcher but I just wish Google would add the more useful widgets that sense and touchwiz have. Furthermore add some of the stapled features that are in every oem skinned android os but not in stock android.

I really like the point you bring up here - I just got my 1st Android device, "Nexus like" Moto X, what widgets do you find useful from the OEM skins and what apps would you advise to fill in the blanks so to speak for Nexus owners who don't have those "company widgets"?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I really like the point you bring up here - I just got my 1st Android device, "Nexus like" Moto X, what widgets do you find useful from the OEM skins and what apps would you advise to fill in the blanks so to speak for Nexus owners who don't have those "company widgets"?

Well the "company widgets" I speak of are simply just on aesthetics mostly. The "company widgets" Google should have there version of are

A full clock weather widget
(Touchwiz,Sense,etc)

Full seven day weather widget
(Ditto)

A full calendar widget that displays the whole month
(Ditto)

Calculator Widget
(Ditto)

Flash light Widget toggle/App
(Sense,Touchwiz)

Battery Percent Widget and in notification Bar)
Touchwiz...and sure OEM skins have as well)

A Feed Widget
(Sense,Flipboard, Pulse, etc)
Google Currents Widget doesn't cut it at all.

A fullscreen music widget
(Every OEM Skin has one)

Quick Toggles in the notification bars)
(Ditto)

The apps I use or used in the past.

Beautiful Widgets
HD Widgets
Android Weather App
Calculator +
Nexus Torch
Battery Reborn Widget
Power Widget

The play store as fixed what has been missing in my Nexus but I just feel why is it missing to begin with.

I have heard the reasons why Google doesn't have theses "company widgets" but I haven't heard illegitimate reason.

What confuses me about Google is how they don't have the most obvious features and widgets that are in other Androids Devices. Then there is the Nexus 5 with Google Home Launcher. The Nexus 5 has such an overhaul on the look of stock android OS which seems to be design for the purpose of being more mainstream. If the purpose was to be more mainstream why not have the mainstream or "company" widgets and features that are standard on all android devices?

But I digress....

Last edited:

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Looking forward to a new Nexus 10 2. Have the original Nexus 10 and with the upgrade to 4.4, it absolutely flies and is very smooth. Had the Nexus 7, but think a Nexus 8 with great specs and HD screen would hit the sweet spot.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I would like a Nexus 6 phablet. :)

Looks like your call and a call for 8" have been answered. Sure, they are not Nexus but GPE is basically the same thing. Sony is pricey though... But no Nexus even comes closer in terms of build quality.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Well the "company widgets" I speak of are simply just on aesthetics mostly. The "company widgets" Google should have there version of are

(Touchwiz,Sense,etc)

(Ditto)

(Ditto)

Calculator Widget
(Ditto)

(Sense,Touchwiz)

A Feed Widget

(Every OEM Skin has one)

(Ditto)

Beautiful Widgets
HD Widgets
Android Weather App
Calculator +
Nexus Torch
Battery Reborn Widget
Power Widget

The play store as fixed what has been missing in my Nexus but I just feel why is it missing to begin with.

I have heard the reasons why Google doesn't have theses "company widgets" but I haven't heard illegitimate reason.

What confuses me about Google is how they don't have the most obvious features and widgets that are in other Androids Devices. Then there is the Nexus 5 with Google Home Launcher. The Nexus 5 has such an overhaul on the look of stock android OS which seems to be design for the purpose of being more mainstream. If the purpose was to be more mainstream why not have the mainstream or "company" widgets and features that are standard on all android devices?

But I digress....

Isn't kind of the purpose of Nexus though? To not have all of those pre-loaded things? I thought the main draw of the Nexus line was "hey, we're not going to overload you with bloaty crap that you may or not may not like, and won't be able to do anything with. Instead, here's a blank slate that you can do whatever you want with."

I think your last point is a good one though - it does seem that with the 4.4 launcher that Google is heading in a more "consumer" direction with Nexus, so if that's the case, why didn't they go further? I don't know. I actually prefer not having much of those things you mention above. Maybe it's just because I've never owned a phone with those features, so haven't gotten used to having them.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

(Touchwiz,Sense,etc)

(Ditto)

(Ditto)

Calculator Widget
(Ditto)

(Sense,Touchwiz)

A Feed Widget

(Every OEM Skin has one)

(Ditto)

Beautiful Widgets
HD Widgets
Android Weather App
Calculator +
Nexus Torch
Battery Reborn Widget
Power Widget

But I digress....

So, everything you can very easily get from the Play store or elsewhere should be stuffed into vanilla Android on the system level?! You many want all that crap, but most of us Nexus fans (and generally anyone else that wouldn't use it) would call that bloatware, and is anti-Nexus idealogy. If you want it, go get it. It's brilliantly simple, efficient, and takes just as little time as finding it in your 8GB bloated OEM skin. Now, some of the OEM features you can't easliy find elsewhere makes sense to complain about, but fortunately those are VERY few and far between.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

So, everything you can very easily get from the Play store or elsewhere should be stuffed into vanilla Android on the system level?! You many want all that crap, but most of us Nexus fans (and generally anyone else that wouldn't use it) would call that bloatware, and is anti-Nexus idealogy. If you want it, go get it. It's brilliantly simple, efficient, and takes just as little time as finding it in your 8GB bloated OEM skin. Now, some of the OEM features you can't easliy find elsewhere makes sense to complain about, but fortunately those are VERY few and far between.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/5/5069310/the-nexus-5-isnt-pure-android-its-pure-google
So for a long time now, we've found ourselves asking the two questions again and again: what exactly is Google trying to accomplish with the Nexus program and what's the strategy with these Android updates? We sat down with three of the four main leaders of the Android team to ask those questions yet again. "Nexus stands for high specs at a really fair price," says Hiroshi Lockheimer, vice president of engineering for Android. "The other thing is the updates come directly from Google. Those are the attributes of Nexus that I think people have really enjoyed and we're not changing that strategy."

"[T]urning the Nexus from the premiere Android phone into the Google phone, but it does change things for Google and for the rest of the Android ecosystem. KitKat is about "polishing," "refining," and providing a "long tail set of features," but it's also about honing and sharpening. The result is a new edge, Google's services, which reach their highest and best form on the Nexus 5"

The "nexus ideology" does not exist in any set principal or rule by Google and never defines clearly what is bloatware or what is or makes a Nexus or stock android. So sure the "Nexus fans" have a lot of ideas on this supposed "nexus ideology" which all a farce or assumption since Google has never clearly define the term.

If Google was to provide all the features I have mentioned then Google would deem them as part of their Google Service the same as the Google Now/Hangout/Cloud/Google Plus integrated on the Nexus 5/android. Which many "Nexus fans" base on this "nexus ideology" have consider bloatware and step away from Android is. However Google does not consider the Google Now, Hangout etc as going against the "nexus ideology" because Nexus and android is what Google makes it.

The Nexus 5 is changing of guard that I made an observation with criticism. These vague definitions of "bloatware" and "nexus ideology" that are way more concrete and apparent to "Nexus Fans" then they are to "Google".

Side note on the play store

Finding third party widgets to find features to replace what OEM skins would have leaves you with a few dozen sets of widgets Then out of the plethora of widgets you pick a mere handful to actually. Now your left with a library of widgets you don't use.....sort seems like bloatware.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781