"Lenovo will launch one of the last Nexus product"

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
"last" or "latest"? If it's the former, as stated, that implies that Google is killing the Nexus line, assuming you read it in English.

Yeah that sounded weird to me too. "Last" Nexus implies that the Nexus line is getting the cull. Maybe the person doesn't have English as their first language and mistyped the tweet.

Would be interesting to see what Lenovo do with the Nexus. Possibly a Motorola Nexus phone?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that sounded weird to me too. "Last" Nexus implies that the Nexus line is getting the cull. Maybe the person doesn't have English as their first language and mistyped the tweet.

Would be interesting to see what Lenovo do with the Nexus. Possibly a Motorola Nexus phone?

Doesn't make sense seeing as Google just got rid of Moto...

Posted via Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't make sense seeing as Google just got rid of Moto...

Posted via Android Central App

What does that have to do with anything? Every Nexus phone that has been made has been from a company that isn't owned by Google. Don't see what Google getting rid of Motorola has to do with Lenovo making a Nexus phone under the Motorola branding.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. If anything, it'll be a "thank you" gesture from Google for taking this huge money losing machine off their hands. This will bring huge exposure to Lenovo and will certainly help them move up the market. I heard about Lenovo phones but this is the last name I think about when I think about phones. If they make Nexus, it'll change big time.
I can totally see this happen based on future Motorola phone (which is already in design stages).
What's I'm scared to hear is the "last" part. It simply makes no sense because just today Google was complementing Nexus 5 for helping with revenue stream (together with ChromeCast). The thing is, Google doesn't HAVE to sell Nexus so cheap just to break even. They can charge a bit more to make more money and Nexus will still be dirt cheap in comparison to competition. I actually feel bad Google is basically giving them away.
Also, isn't Nexus 7 the most popular small size Android tablet on the market? It's simply stupid to kill it

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. If anything, it'll be a "thank you" gesture from Google for taking this huge money losing machine off their hands. This will bring huge exposure to Lenovo and will certainly help them move up the market. I heard about Lenovo phones but this is the last name I think about when I think about phones. If they make Nexus, it'll change big time.
I can totally see this happen based on future Motorola phone (which is already in design stages).
What's I'm scared to hear is the "last" part. It simply makes no sense because just today Google was complementing Nexus 5 for helping with revenue stream (together with ChromeCast). The thing is, Google doesn't HAVE to sell Nexus so cheap just to break even. They can charge a bit more to make more money and Nexus will still be dirt cheap in comparison to competition. I actually feel bad Google is basically giving them away.
Also, isn't Nexus 7 the most popular small size Android tablet on the market? It's simply stupid to kill it

Rumors have been floating around that Google is killing Nexus, one I read said only phones, would continue tablets, who knows at this point what will happen, I for one hope it's not true.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Moto X and Moto G were the two phones that made me considerably less interested in the Nexus 5 (also, err, its inability to get on Verizon). Hasn't the N4/N5 consistently been on the top of the phone charts (sales wise) for their life cycles though? Nexus brand has a lot of goodwill in the Android community. Outside of the 10 which has just sat there. I'd be surprised if it was completely killed.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Moto X and Moto G were the two phones that made me considerably less interested in the Nexus 5 (also, err, its inability to get on Verizon). Hasn't the N4/N5 consistently been on the top of the phone charts (sales wise) for their life cycles though? Nexus brand has a lot of goodwill in the Android community. Outside of the 10 which has just sat there. I'd be surprised if it was completely killed.

That's just it though...Now that Google doesn't own Motorola anymore, we can't rely on "Nexus-like" devices, such as the Moto X & G....

Hope that Google doesn't kill the project or at least still provides a similar alternative.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That's just it though...Now that Google doesn't own Motorola anymore, we can't rely on "Nexus-like" devices, such as the Moto X & G....

Hope that Google doesn't kill the project or at least still provides a similar alternative.
Can't disagree with you more. There is a decent amount of Google Edition devices and more to come (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=V3NWpaqK) and I am certain Nexus line will not discontinue.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Can't disagree with you more. There is a decent amount of Google Edition devices and more to come (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=_flBfI9T) and I am certain Nexus line will not discontinue.

Google Edition devices (at least those we've seen thus far), cost a LOT more than a traditional Nexus phone and also still rely on the manufacturer to provide updates (as opposed to getting them directly from Google).

Granted, you can't exactly download a factory image for the Moto X/G either, but both devices are at least priced in a similar fashion and with Google at the helm seemed to be getting updates on nearly the same schedule as the Nexus devices.

Not trying to put down the GE concept, I just don't believe they are a lateral substitute for the Nexus line...but the Moto phones are/were in many ways.

His English is somewhat broken so it could be either

Agreed. Of course, I also saw rumors elsewhere that the Nexus line was being discontinued...but who knows if those rumors also stemmed from this tweet?

Regardless, it's silly to panic and/or speculate until more official information is known.

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I bet the biggest reason for the majority of non technical and androidcentral members for buying a Nexus is that it's $300+ cheaper off contract for an amazing phone that also get's first dibs on software updates. You are NOT going to see that kind of price anywhere if the Nexus line is killed off and that's too bad. And also that the Nexus works on every carrier unlocked straight out of the box, is that even a reality with Google Play Edition phones?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Granted, you can't exactly download a factory image for the Moto X/G either
Yes you can if you get the Developer Editions:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

but both devices are at least priced in a similar fashion and with Google at the helm seemed to be getting updates on nearly the same schedule as the Nexus devices.

Not trying to put down the GE concept, I just don't believe they are a lateral substitute for the Nexus line...but the Moto phones are/were in many ways.
And for those on Verizon, this is huge as we can't get Nexus devices.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It wouldn't have made sense for him to say "latest" because the Nexus 5 is the latest. I think he meant to say last. But I truly hope he's wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Not on verizon, which last I checked was the largest carrier in the US.
It's not the Nexus fault, it support the frequencies required to work on their network. BTW, I hope there won't ever be a Nexus for Verizon again, they truly messed up the last one and gave the brand a bad name, not the mention the Nexus 7 LTE debacle. Unless of course, it's out of their control, which is not going to be happen and is the reason why the N5 is not allowed on their network in the first place. The only hope of Nexus phone on Verizon is with VoLTE.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It's not the Nexus fault, it support the frequencies required to work on their network.
I get that it is Verizon's fault, but I was just correcting the poster who said the Nexus works on every carrier. It doesn't.

BTW, I hope there won't ever be a Nexus for Verizon again, they truly messed up the last one and gave the brand a bad name,
The worst problem with the GNex wasn't Verizon - it was Samsung and its crap radios. I would have nothing to complain about my GNex if Samsung didn't produce dog dung radios. The updates weren't that delayed, but man did those radios suck.

not the mention the Nexus 7 LTE debacle.
Now THAT was entirely Verizon's fault.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not the Nexus fault, it support the frequencies required to work on their network. BTW, I hope there won't ever be a Nexus for Verizon again, they truly messed up the last one and gave the brand a bad name, not the mention the Nexus 7 LTE debacle. Unless of course, it's out of their control, which is not going to be happen and is the reason why the N5 is not allowed on their network in the first place. The only hope of Nexus phone on Verizon is with VoLTE.

Or...Verizon doesn't care about having a Nexus on their network at all and only capitulated on the N7 LTE because they were already obligated by Google's announcement. Verizon makes little to no money off of a Nexus device vs a branded device because they can't bundle any apps on it. That sounds more likely to me. Nothing to gain for them, no money to make on it, so why do it from a financial standpoint?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay