USB 3.0 -- Who's gonna have it?

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I know that many are not familiar with it, but the Note 3 has USB 3.0 as the standard connection (still can use regular USB 2.0 cables as well) and it is a very overlooked feature.

While it does transfer files faster (which is a bonus for me) it real selling point is that it charges the phone REALLY quickly.

Has anyone seen any rumors or anything about it being on any phone coming at and around MWC this month?

It is a feature that really flies under the radar so I figured I would ask...

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes,I`ve recently built myself a PC which has 4 usb3 ports...really fast data transfer(2gb movie transferred in about 40 secs) and MUCH faster charging

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I know that many are not familiar with it, but the Note 3 has USB 3.0 as the standard connection (still can use regular USB 2.0 cables as well) and it is a very overlooked feature.

While it does transfer files faster (which is a bonus for me) it real selling point is that it charges the phone REALLY quickly.

Has anyone seen any rumors or anything about it being on any phone coming at and around MWC this month?

Since everything is sync'd via WiFi nowadays, I don't see this as a big selling point. In fact, if the adapter is just like on Note 3 (NOT your usual micro USB), I don't want it.
I actually don't remember the last time I used USB for file transfer. I use the OTG cable to play movies on N7, but it's fast enough anyway.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Transferring files from my phone to my PC or Laptop is pretty slow. I'd like to see more OEMs adapt USB 3.0 and include it in their flagships (which should support faster charging)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Since everything is sync'd via WiFi nowadays, I don't see this as a big selling point. In fact, if the adapter is just like on Note 3 (NOT your usual micro USB), I don't want it.
I actually don't remember the last time I used USB for file transfer. I use the OTG cable to play movies on N7, but it's fast enough anyway.

You do realize that the USB 3 connector, such as the one on the note 3, is 100% backwards compatible with a standard micro USB connector, you must use the bigger USB 3 connector with a USB 3 port of course to get the faster charging and data transfer, but you can still use a "standard" micro USB cable if you wish.....win - win in my opinion.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that the USB 3 connector, such as the one on the note 3, is 100% backwards compatible with a standard micro USB connector, you must use the bigger USB 3 connector with a USB 3 port of course to get the faster charging and data transfer, but you can still use a "standard" micro USB cable if you wish.....win - win in my opinion.

I did not realize this. By my point still stands... I'd like to hear use cases on using USB cable for data transfer.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I did not realize this. By my point still stands... I'd like to hear use cases on using USB cable for data transfer.

I agree with you, wifi transfer is great, but, the note 3 is capable of shooting 4k video (snapdragon versions), and these files are HUGH, much much faster to transfer using USB 3, I expect more and more phones to have this capability in the future, if it's needed or not is another point all together, USB 3 is capable of transferring data at up to 5 Gbit/s ? more than ten times as fast as the 480 Mbit/s top speed of USB 2.0. It is also able to deliver almost 1 amp of power, almost double what USB 2 can deliver. Do I need it personally? no, but i'm sure some do, or will at some point, but since it's backwards compatible, I have no problems with it, eventually it will be the standard, replacing USB 2.0 all together, and that will happen very soon.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Good discussion here guys.

I do transfer a couple of gigs at a time, but really do not think about the speed. I am more of a set it and forget it kinda.

The charging rate is off the hook though. In a world where everyone is all hyped about wireless charging, which would be faster if 2 monkeys were using a bike to charge it, USB 3.0 seems to charge from 0-full in a little over an hour.

I think that is the real bonus. It will come in handy if Samsung ever closes the cover, and quite a few of the OEMs out there could use it.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I use my cable for data transfer all the time. Faster and easier than offer Wi-Fi

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I use my cable for data transfer all the time. Faster and easier than offer Wi-Fi

What data? Pictures and sync'd automatically and "faster" is not a factor here... what's the rush? Same with music and documents, it's all seamless on the background.

Anyway, whatever works for you, I personally don't care for wire transfer speeds and it's one of the reason I don't get the obsession over the Lightning port.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
What data? Pictures and sync'd automatically and "faster" is not a factor here... what's the rush? Same with music and documents, it's all seamless on the background.

Anyway, whatever works for you, I personally don't care for wire transfer speeds and it's one of the reason I don't get the obsession over the Lightning port.

I don't store stuff in the cloud. That's what my sdcard and pc are for

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I use dropbox for the pictures and drive for documents/other files but it is easier and faster to move large files via cable.

I actually use my phone like a thumb drive for work. I have a ton of work files and the like on my phone. Several large projects and such.

The cloud is an option in a lot of ways, but no one should be dependent on it at this point. Unfortunately OEMs are just catching on to that and knocking off the stupid 8-16GB crap.

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I like to control what goes in and out of my phone so I don't sync a lot of anything.
If I'm putting a couple movies on my phone (or tablet) to watch someplace else, the faster transfer speed does make a huge difference. 20 gigs of data can take a while.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It should be noted that the higher charge rate really only applies to when the device is plugged in to the PC. When it's plugged in to the wall charger it draws the normal amount (not something crazy like 3A). When on the wall charger you can thank QuickCharge 2.0 for the charging speed, which is dependent on the chipset and not USB port.

I would love to see widespread adoption of USB 3.0 just because it's more future proof.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love USB3. Its hard for me to use USB2. I replaced most of my USB sticks with USB3 to make my life easier.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It didn't charge any faster using the stock Wall charger. Both my note 2 and Note 3 take about the same amount of time to charge.

Now the usb 3 computer port will charge faster than a computer usb 2 port, but both charge slower than the wall charger

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It didn't charge any faster using the stock Wall charger. Both my note 2 and Note 3 take about the same amount of time to charge.

Now the usb 3 computer port will charge faster than a computer usb 2 port, but both charge slower than the wall charger

DP, I sorta have talked to you in the past but I am calling BS here. Maybe it is my ROM but I can charge at a 10% rate in less than 15 Minutes. Almost at a 1% per minute rate. Do that on the Note 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
DP, I sorta have talked to you in the past but I am calling BS here. Maybe it is my ROM but I can charge at a 10% rate in less than 15 Minutes. Almost at a 1% per minute rate. Do that on the Note 2

Both my Note 2 and Note 3 were stock and both used the stock cable (usb 3 on the Note 3). Both charged at around 2a max according to the Battery Monitor widget. My Note 2 took about 2 hrs 30 min from 0 - 100%, or about 150 minutes. So 10% in 15 minutes is about right. Also, the charging tapers once you hit around 85%. At max charge, in the first hour it gets about 50% charge. I have attached screen shot from charging my Note II.

My Note 3 does the same.

7ehu3una.jpg
enude7ub.jpg

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

dpham00 is absolutely correct, from the same power supply, there is no difference between USB 2 and 3, a USB 3 computer port can supply almost double (900 vs 500ma) the current. You will only see a difference when charging from a computer. That said, it is possible the note 3 could charge faster than the GN2, different hardware, different battery, different charging algorithm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol