Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: The "real" galaxy s5 may still be in its way, S5 prime specs revealed

I'd be mad if I bought my S5 only to find out there is a better one coming out

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

Wouldn't surprise me. Cancelled my pre order to wait on 32gb version so will see how this plays out too

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps just an early version/prototype of the Note 4? I understand the display size isn't right, but who knows.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps just an early version/prototype of the Note 4? I understand the display size isn't right, but who knows.

It can't be a note, it wouldn't drop in size that drastically. I think the real question is what will the phone be branded as. Will it be a galaxy s? Will it be a new line?

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

My guess is that Samsung is going on a 6 month refresh cycle at this point, and may release this around the same time as the Note 4 to compete with the other fall release devices. How many people do you think bought the S4 after the iPhone 5S came out? Especially with the LG G2, Nexus 5, Xperia Z1 out at the same time with a faster processor? I might have been pissed if this came out immediately after the S5 (though who knows what compromises this would bring), but I would be surprised if this comes within the next few months.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

My guess is that Samsung is going on a 6 month refresh cycle at this point, and may release this around the same time as the Note 4 to compete with the other fall release devices. How many people do you think bought the S4 after the iPhone 5S came out? Especially with the LG G2, Nexus 5, Xperia Z1 out at the same time with a faster processor? I might have been pissed if this came out immediately after the S5 (though who knows what compromises this would bring), but I would be surprised if this comes within the next few months.

I don't think they should position it to compete with their other flagship, it can hurt their sales.

They should release it during the summer, bring the regular s out in January or February and let the note get space to breathe in the fall

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

It can't be a note, it wouldn't drop in size that drastically. I think the real question is what will the phone be branded as. Will it be a galaxy s? Will it be a new line?

I meant like maybe it's a Note prototype that doesn't have the new screen yet; they're just testing other aspects of the hardware/software. Honestly, I have no idea how phone development works so that may not be how they do it at all.

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

I really hope it's the note 4. I would be beyond pissed off if I bought the gs 5 only to find out a "newer" and more improved 5 will come out a few months later. Not cool Samsung. Not cool!! Lol

Posted via Android Central App

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I don't think they should position it to compete with their other flagship, it can hurt their sales.

They should release it during the summer, bring the regular s out in January or February and let the note get space to breathe in the fall

That might be true, but I am not sure how much the S series and Note devices directly compete with each other - I (and probably a lot of other people) would pretty much never get a Note because I need to use my phone with one hand. While this could take away some sales from the Note, the bigger play is to take sales away from the other non-phablet size fall devices as listed above.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

That might be true, but I am not sure how much the S series and Note devices directly compete with each other - I (and probably a lot of other people) would pretty much never get a Note because I need to use my phone with one hand. While this could take away some sales from the Note, the bigger play is to take sales away from the other non-phablet size fall devices as listed above.

I think it's a bad idea to release them both in the same window and at the same price range. It would be better to let each other get space to breathe in the market, and since the summer is pretty open since no one that can actually compete with samsung releases phones at that time, it's best to drop it there.

jonhcox

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

They (Samsung) won't care. The Galaxy line of phones are for the masses. This will be a new premium phone demonstrating their ability to build a high-end device. The S5 is a nice phone with great features, but a new handset with premium metallic body, IP rating, QHD display, would be their way of saying they can truly deliver build quality compared to HTC and Apple.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

They (Samsung) won't care. The Galaxy line of phones are for the masses. This will be a new premium phone demonstrating their ability to build a high-end device. The S5 is a nice phone with great features, but a new handset with premium metallic body, IP rating, QHD display, would be their way of saying they can truly deliver build quality compared to HTC and Apple.

If they can make this premium device with removable battery and sd slot, it will be a home run, for me! Otherwise, not interested.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

But they don't need to prove anything, I'm not really sure it's about proving anything either. They already produce two high end devices that lead in sales, they are the clear and dominant force in the android space and are top two overall in sales for any OS. I just think this makes smart business sense to go this route.

We have seen them create a lot of different new lines over the past year, and they are the only top phone sales manufacturer to have multiple flagships (note and s line) and I think it just makes sense to have one more.

They have a q2 and a q4 flagship, time for a q3 flagship, corner the market, keep yourselves in the face of the consumer throughout the year. I just think that this new line, if it is a new line, must do something to separate itself from it's other flagships, and build quality probably isn't enough, it will need some interesting software I think.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

If this pans out, I'll sell the S5 and get this bad boy.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I got money on a galaxy s pro moniker

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith