Nexus 8 Rumor Mill

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It would be sick and i'd be willing to pay a premium for it... But the problem is that nexus devices keep the price down by using cheaper materials and making them feel premium...so i dont know how likely a metal tablet would be.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What I'd like to know is if they'd think about using the One's ultrapixel camera. The camera on pretty much every tablet is either downright terrible or an afterthought, and I'm not advocating holding iPad size devices to take pictures, but it could potentially be the first tablet to have a decent camera.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The camera on pretty much every tablet is either downright terrible or an afterthought, and I'm not advocating holding iPad size devices to take pictures, but it could potentially be the first tablet to have a decent camera.

Cameras on tablets can be a good idea if you give a compelling reason.

For example, smartphone camera modules must be extremely compact because there's not a lot of room if you want to design a thin phone. Since tablets are physically bigger, you might be able to put a bigger camera with more capabilities. However, you still need to be careful because no one wants a huge camera hump protruding from the back.

Specialty cameras may also be a good idea. Perhaps you could put a camera that excels at scanning documents, checks, and receipts. Since more and more people are using tablets for productivity, having one that's good with documents may be an advantage.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Cameras on tablets can be a good idea if you give a compelling reason.

For example, smartphone camera modules must be extremely compact because there's not a lot of room if you want to design a thin phone. Since tablets are physically bigger, you might be able to put a bigger camera with more capabilities. However, you still need to be careful because no one wants a huge camera hump protruding from the back.

Specialty cameras may also be a good idea. Perhaps you could put a camera that excels at scanning documents, checks, and receipts. Since more and more people are using tablets for productivity, having one that's good with documents may be an advantage.

They could be; I like the large screen as a huge viewfinder, and I see the advantages of that when I connect my Nexus 7 to my camera when it's on a tripod, but I figure since tablets are used more as media consumption devices, there aren't many people who use the camera to begin with, and in a choice between using your phone or a tablet, most people would chose their phone which would decrease that number further. Few people really want to use their tablets to take a picture when they can just use their phone and send it to their friends easily from there, unless they're already holding it, and you have to actually have it with you to be doing that, and it goes full circle when it's easier to carry your phone so you probably are. OEM's know this so they don't put much attention towards it. Another point would be that tablets are usually cheaper than the flagship phones with great cameras. Screens are usually the first thing people see when looking at a tablet, so it's automatically an important aspect, while the camera is likely one of the least important on a tablet. When trying to hit a price point, after all the internals have been taken care of, there might not be much wiggle room so the camera is an easy cut for the aforementioned reasons.

There can be a benefit to using a tablet as the medium for a great camera, but there just isn't a big market out there looking for it. The S4 Zoom didn't sell all that great, the S5 Zoom might do better but not by much; I don't really see a tablet doing the same thing come out as a big seller either. Specialty cameras for productivity is a good idea, but the problem with that then is it will largely transform the device itself into a specialty product. If you put in a camera that's great at scanning objects, then most of the people who buy one will for that function. I'd like to see more business-oriented tablets, but if you have a good well-rounded tablet with a function like a specialty camera, and you market it as the all-around good tablet, it might miss out with some of the market the function was designed for, and if you market the function it could lose most of its mass appeal. It's a bit of a Cornelian dilemma this way, so it's best to make a specialty device with a specialty function for an intended market.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
There can be a benefit to using a tablet as the medium for a great camera, but there just isn't a big market out there looking for it.

I would be open to Google putting the same camera module in both the Nexus phone and the Nexus tablet. Perhaps that's all you need to change people's minds.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I would be open to Google putting the same camera module in both the Nexus phone and the Nexus tablet. Perhaps that's all you need to change people's minds.

Yeah, but that might be tricky if HTC really is making this one. I know Samsung uses Sony's sensors, and I think LG does too, but HTC makes their own, so they'd probably want to go with that.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If the price is right, I will buy it.

I will never buy a tablet without front facing speakers again. I am so tired of cupping the sides of devices. On a device like a tablet where media consumption is the primary use, front facing speakers is a must.

That plus the 8 in for factor is awesome.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont really like the idea of HTC making this, have they ever made a good tablet. Asus seems to do a good job on the 7 and Samsung with the 10 so who knows

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I dont really like the idea of HTC making this, have they ever made a good tablet.

I think if HTC is working with guidance from Google, we don't have anything to worry about. Google probably sees something good in HTC that is not obvious to people on the outside.

We also have to remember that Asus could probably submit a tablet design of their own as a Google Play edition device, similar to what LG did with the G Pad 8.3. Samsung could join the party, too. The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and the Tab Pro 12.2 have 2560 x 1600 resolution, which is mind-blowing by itself. It would be great to get those with stock Android, too.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but that might be tricky if HTC really is making this one. I know Samsung uses Sony's sensors, and I think LG does too, but HTC makes their own, so they'd probably want to go with that.

That should be fine if Google approves the design. I just feel that if they put the same camera on both the Nexus phone and the Nexus tablet, people may change their view on taking photos with a tablet.

To use the current Nexus devices as an example, it would be like putting the Nexus 5's camera module on a Nexus 7 tablet. If the Nexus 7 had that, it would probably take better pictures than any other tablet on the market today. If price is an issue, I have no problem with putting the better camera on the more expensive model. It would be similar to how only the 32 GB Nexus 7 ($349) has LTE and the 32 GB ($269) and 16 GB ($229) models only have Wi-Fi.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have two 32GB Nexus 7 tablets. Wi-Fi and LTE (to arrive tomorrow). This is my main tablet - I also have a Surface and an iPad. I would like it to be a just a tad bit bigger and hence I am very tempted to buy the GPad but I want LTE and unfortunately that means the only available option is the VZW flavored version of it:-( And I do not like VZW at all....

Why can't LG sell an LTE/GPE version of it? So if Nexus 8 LTE came out that would definitely be on my list since I think one extra inch would do the Nexus a whole lot of good....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith