Will Nexus 6 be a 64-bit processor?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
When Apple first pulled this stunt of putting in a 64-bit processor into their i5s it forced the industry to follow suite to compete on marketing terms for market share. Sure a 64-bit wide backbone and processor would move data faster than a 32 bit backbone but cell phones can't send or receive enough data fast enough to RAM memory making that extra 32 bit width useful. The data modem and available storage in the phone or SD card in the cell phone is the real speed bottleneck. Every modern day computer including data servers are mostly idle the majority of the time waiting on more data to crunch since they are the fastest part of the hardware design. For a Smartphone the major useful advantage of 64-bit processor is over coming the 32-bit processor address limitations of 4GB of RAM memory. Since the Apple i5s only has 1GB of RAM memory it seems that Apple did this for marketing and future proofing the i5s. Even the Samsung Notes 3 only has 3GB of memory and our Nexus 5 has 2GB.

More and more rumors are pointing to the Nexus 6 having a 64-bit processor.

Leaked Nexus 6 details suggest Google will follow Apple’s lead

G4Games has spotted a new report from Taiwan’s Economic Daily News that claims Google will use a MediaTek 64-bit processor for its upcoming budget Nexus smartphone, often referred to as the “Nexus 6.” The blog says that if the report is accurate, then the next-generation low-cost Nexus will either run a “quad-core MT6732 64-bit chip clocked at 1.5GHz, or the octa-core MT6752 SoC running at a frequency of 2.0GHz,” either of which would be an incredibly powerful processor for a supposed budget device.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can see it being very possible. 64 bit is the next level, next step and it appears that Google with the Nexus 5 realized the importance of not only showcasing its latest Android OS but also jumping on the new trending hardware.

I wouldn't rule out seeing this happen on the next Nexus 6 (Smartphone) and/or the next Nexus tablet.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the MT6732 64-bit Quad-core LTE platform that was the slower of the two listed above with support for 13-megapixel image signal-processor.

Not that I think I need a 8-core CPU but I like the MT6752 that supports a Integrated 16MP camera image signal processor. Well I liked Snapdragon that are used in the Nexus 5 but hey this is just like Intel and AMD so what do I care as long as it works well.

MediaTek Launches MT6752 – a 64-bit octa-core LTE SOC Latest LTE product to enable Super-mid market

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

TAIWAN, Hsinchu – 25 February, 2014 – MediaTek today announces the MT6752 , a 64-bit octa-core LTE SOC. The MT6752 deploys eight 2.0GHz ARM Cortex-53 CPUs and a Mali-T760 GPU – the next-level 64-bit mobile computing and LTE. It is pin compatible with the previously announced quad-core MT6732 – shortening the product development cycle.

The solution is the latest in a series of announcements MediaTek has made to give consumers in the Super-mid market high performing smartphones at an affordable price.

The MT6752 platform delivers:

Advanced Multimedia Features

Supports low-power, 1080p, 30fps video playback supporting the emerging video codec standard H.265 and legacy H.264 and 1080p, 30fps H.264 video recording
Integrated 16MP camera image signal processor
MediaTek ClearMotion™ technology eliminates motion jitter and ensures smooth video playback at 60fps on mobile devices
MediaTek MiraVision™ technology for DTV-grade picture quality

Integrated Multi-mode 4G LTE Modem

Rel. 9, Category 4 FDD and TDD LTE (150 Mb/s downlink, 50 Mb/s uplink)
3GPP Rel. 8, DC-HSPA+ (42 Mb/s downlink, 11 Mb/s uplink), TD-SCDMA and EDGE are supported for legacy 2G/3G networks

“The MT6752 is part of our commitment to provide high performance yet cost effective solutions, accelerating the global demographic and cultural transformation for the Super-mid market. We continue to democratize technology as previously seen in the TV and DVD industries. We launched world’s first true octa-core solution in November 2013 and now we continue to extend our lead to deliver on our vision to make the world a more inclusive place,” said Jeffrey Ju, General Manager of the MediaTek Smartphone Business Unit.

The MT6752 platform will be commercially available early Q3 of 2014, with a complete reference design and mass production in Q4.

###

About MediaTek Inc.

MediaTek is a pioneering fabless semiconductor company, and a market leader in cutting-edge systems on a chip for wireless communications, HDTV, DVD and Blu-ray. MediaTek created the world's first octa-core smartphone platform with LTE and its CorePilot technology released the full power of multi-core mobile processors. MediaTek [TSE:2454] is headquartered in Taiwan and has offices worldwide. Please visit MediaTek Inc. - MediaTek for more information.

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Google is going with silver ... Basically they have Google editions of s5 m8 etc

They just do the software and leave the hardware to oem
Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

newandroidguy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Google is going with silver ... Basically they have Google editions of s5 m8 etc

They just do the software and leave the hardware to oem
Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

This is done so pure Vanilla android is avaliable to developers. They have never advertised the phones they also come with unlocked boot loaders.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze