Android Silver Devices

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If this end of nexus line it hard to say what Google did right or wrong with the nexus program.

Google nexus devices was the fact they want make device for developers and decide make a few more. That is literally as much incite to nexus program for past few years.

Google number purpose was to make android device how they wanted and have fun doing it. Sales never seemed important to Google and never seem to give end goal for Nexus line.

Google for whatever reason seems either nexus line has run it course or want to add more to their Google Ecosystem with the Silver program.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My hopes for android silver

I hope with android silver their is consistent design language between android silver devices. Having similar design cues will Android Silver device stand out better as whole and be more recognizable to the average consumers.

Software updates need to roll out like nexus devices though the software up does not have to come by Google but they new updated no latter than GPE devices. Software update need last more than couple of years. This not make break or deal with android but I would love these devices to be support to 4 years.

Lastly I think android silver devices need set set three standard screen sizes for smartphones and not change over year . They need a Mini(4.3in), Medium (5in), and Large (5.5in)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I never see Google becoming the major outlet of Android phones since that would put a lot of their other Android phone manufactures out of business. That is the Fruit company's plan not Googles. I think Google will produce the Android Flagship phone for App developers that shapes the direction they want the other Android phone manufactures to move as they introduce new features like the "Ok Google" where voice commands becomes the major user interface. With smart watches and other Android wearable and Android in our cars we won't even have to pull the phone out of our pockets or purses to do most things like text and voice calls. With Android in our autos communicating to our cell phones we will see devices in our autos that does everything we do today with a smart phone without even touching the phone.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
My hopes for android silver

I hope with android silver their is consistent design language between android silver devices. Having similar design cues will Android Silver device stand out better as whole and be more recognizable to the average consumers.

Software updates need to roll out like nexus devices though the software up does not have to come by Google but they new updated no latter than GPE devices. Software update need last more than couple of years. This not make break or deal with android but I would love these devices to be support to 4 years.

Lastly I think android silver devices need set set three standard screen sizes for smartphones and not change over year . They need a Mini(4.3in), Medium (5in), and Large (5.5in)

I kinda agree on the common design but rather standards instead of language. Not everyone likes the same design and it's one of the main reasons I like Android... Device choices. If they just stick to SW buttons (like Nexus) I'll be satisfied.

Why does there have to be screen size "standard"? Apps scale seamlessly between 4.5 and 5.2". Maybe even up to 5.5 (haven't done side by side comp)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get the point of killing off the Nexus line for this.

1. The whole point of Google selling Nexus devices on their own Play Store was so that they could AVOID having to go through carriers and getting software held up with carrier testing. The Galaxy Nexus fiasco was a horrible lesson for Google. The whole point of the Nexus line was pure experience and 'fast updates'. We've been hearing Google talking about 'fast updates' for years now. It hasn't happened, and I don't believe this will finally be cracked with Android silver program. The carriers are the gatekeepers to fast updates, not Google.

2. They will need to do more than just sell slightly modified versions of existing phones. The Android silver slides say it'll choose the top 5 phones from OEM's, seems like they'll just slap stock android on it and sell it at a store. So basically sell GPE devices in store. *Yawn*. So you're trying to make it easier to buy an android phone by having a HTC version of a phone and a Google version of a HTC phone? Yeah, what would be confusing to the consumer about that? What is the sales assistant going to say? "Oh yeah, all those features that are in Sense 6? Blinkfeed, Ufocus, TV remote, Zoe's FM radio, super power saving modes, do not disturb & highlight videos? Yeah forget all that, the Google version doesn't have that.....but we can transfer all your data over in 5 minutes or less!!!"

3. This could potentially sour Google's relationship with it's OEM's. I really doubt Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Moto etc want another competitor in the marketplace, especially if it's backed by one of the largest companies in the world who create the base software their own phones run on. Google directly competing with Apple and Samsung for the high end could potentially p-off Samsung, and Samsung could just fork the Galaxy line to run on Tizen instead of Android. I doubt many people would really know the difference either. Samsung have their own app store, could have Tizen looking and running like a regular Galaxy phone and take tens of millions of customers with them.

4. The article states Google are offering financial support to struggling OEM's such as HTC to compete against Samsung. Again, this just screams bad relationship and I really don't think Google would want to p-off Samsung. It's thanks to Samsung that Google have such a big android smartphone presence in the marketplace. Pissing Samsung off is not the thing Google want to do.

5. Google can't even do correct data transfer *now* on their own devices. If I went from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5, why do I have to re-save all the words I saved on the keyboard? Why aren't my apps/widgets installed/set up on my homescreens as I had them on the previous Nexus phone? But this silver program is going to fix all that? Ok....

I don't know. To me this just sounds like a generic wet dream wish list for an android fan. 'Premium phone line from Google? In retail stores? Fast updates (like we've been told time and time again for years now) but this time is really, truly, totally happening?! Google fighting against Samsung to show how android phones should be? OMG SIGN ME UP.'

Please....I'm not believing it till I see it. I personally don't care if the Nexus line dies. I think OEM's have superseded Nexus phones and I enjoy certain OEM's UI's over stock android. I don't think putting GPE phones in retail stores will make any difference or be of any significance. To me this just sounds like a bs rumour and a pretty stupid idea from Google. Then again, they did purchase Motorola for $12.5 billion and then sold them in under 2 years for $3 billion, so Google are very capable of making some completely dumbass decisions from time to time.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but this sounds like a pipe-dream.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I kinda agree on the common design but rather standards instead of language. Not everyone likes the same design and it's one of the main reasons I like Android... Device choices. If they just stick to SW buttons (like Nexus) I'll be satisfied.

"Standards instead of language"
Sorry not quite following what you mean in this quote?

SW buttons?

Why does there have to be screen size "standard"? Apps scale seamlessly between 4.5 and 5.2". Maybe even up to 5.5 (haven't done side by side comp)

The standards in size and sharing similar design cues for uniformity. Furthermore to stand out of mass variety of android ecosystem.

Google can't have the android silver devices be complete different then another silver device. They also can't have random sizes with every android silver device because these are small series of devices that I spec they will make sequels to each device. Between all android's most popular devices they try have standards in design to be successful. The android silver is going to series device then they need to have same standards.

Android Silver can't be what " Android" is currently or Android Silver devices will just random bunch devices with stock android phones. They will just be lost in the android ecosystem because they have nothing to distinguish themselves from rest.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Android Silver to Kill off Google Nexus!!

Why wouldn't Google Just keep going with the Nexus?
Instead of killing off the Nexus brand and making a new line (silver)
Call it the Google Nexus Silver edition.

The only differences that I've heard and read between the Silver brand and Nexus brand is
instead of it only being LG making it. everyone can within Googles Design and requirement.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

1. The whole point of Google selling Nexus devices on their own Play Store was so that they could AVOID having to go through carriers and getting software held up with carrier testing. The Galaxy Nexus fiasco was a horrible lesson for Google. The whole point of the Nexus line was pure experience and 'fast updates'. We've been hearing Google talking about 'fast updates' for years now. It hasn't happened, and I don't believe this will finally be cracked with Android silver program. The carriers are the gatekeepers to fast updates, not Google.

2. They will need to do more than just sell slightly modified versions of existing phones. The Android silver slides say it'll choose the top 5 phones from OEM's, seems like they'll just slap stock android on it and sell it at a store. So basically sell GPE devices in store. *Yawn*. So you're trying to make it easier to buy an android phone by having a HTC version of a phone and a Google version of a HTC phone? Yeah, what would be confusing to the consumer about that? What is the sales assistant going to say? "Oh yeah, all those features that are in Sense 6? Blinkfeed, Ufocus, TV remote, Zoe's FM radio, super power saving modes, do not disturb & highlight videos? Yeah forget all that, the Google version doesn't have that.....but we can transfer all your data over in 5 minutes or less!!!"

3. This could potentially sour Google's relationship with it's OEM's. I really doubt Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Moto etc want another competitor in the marketplace, especially if it's backed by one of the largest companies in the world who create the base software their own phones run on. Google directly competing with Apple and Samsung for the high end could potentially p-off Samsung, and Samsung could just fork the Galaxy line to run on Tizen instead of Android. I doubt many people would really know the difference either. Samsung have their own app store, could have Tizen looking and running like a regular Galaxy phone and take tens of millions of customers with them.

4. The article states Google are offering financial support to struggling OEM's such as HTC to compete against Samsung. Again, this just screams bad relationship and I really don't think Google would want to p-off Samsung. It's thanks to Samsung that Google have such a big android smartphone presence in the marketplace. Pissing Samsung off is not the thing Google want to do.

5. Google can't even do correct data transfer *now* on their own devices. If I went from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5, why do I have to re-save all the words I saved on the keyboard? Why aren't my apps/widgets installed/set up on my homescreens as I had them on the previous Nexus phone? But this silver program is going to fix all that? Ok....

I don't know. To me this just sounds like a generic wet dream wish list for an android fan. 'Premium phone line from Google? In retail stores? Fast updates (like we've been told time and time again for years now) but this time is really, truly, totally happening?! Google fighting against Samsung to show how android phones should be? OMG SIGN ME UP.'

Please....I'm not believing it till I see it. I personally don't care if the Nexus line dies. I think OEM's have superseded Nexus phones and I enjoy certain OEM's UI's over stock android. I don't think putting GPE phones in retail stores will make any difference or be of any significance. To me this just sounds like a bs rumour and a pretty stupid idea from Google. Then again, they did purchase Motorola for $12.5 billion and then sold them in under 2 years for $3 billion, so Google are very capable of making some completely dumbass decisions from time to time.

Ease up on the drama, put your coffee down, and go outside for a change.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I agree the promise faster updates have not at speed any one expected. They are improving on updates just not on a substantial rate.

Yes I have same fears as well mass consumer version on GPE devices would be good for no one.

This idea of bad relations with the OEM partners if Google was to compete seems a little farfetched. Google still have to make,design, convince and market a product to sell to consumer no different then any OEM's would have to do. Google has large amount money but that won't buy them customers their products have too.

Google will have one advantage though software updates and education market that who's the father of android devices. This could be a strong selling point if the product itself is appealing. Google would position their products as what started who android ecosystem. This would make all OEM partners inferior on sense that masses will have the PC perspective where Google is the windows of android devices. The masses will have this understanding that success of all these top android devices stem from Google. Now that has the big potential to "p-off" Google OEM partners. However is it wrong though? Should Google have this credit to begin with?

These OEM partners have been running with Google's idea with no acknowledgement to Google. Google has been in shadows which cause not have much success in their own endeavors with mass consumers because they seem as just another company entering the game. The problem is they created game to begin with.

Samsung is large influence to Google's success with android I agree but don't see harm in supporting other oem partners financial. The OEM partners still have to do rd,design, and market product that will appeal to customers which comes from ideas not cash. Samsung will get same financial help if they were to needed it. Google actually going help pay the lawsuits that Samsung is being handed.

Um...I agree with you but not at that severity.

Harsh but true and share same cynicism.

Please....I'm not believing it till I see it. I personally don't care if the Nexus line dies. I think OEM's have superseded Nexus phones and I enjoy certain OEM's UI's over stock android. I don't think putting GPE phones in retail stores will make any difference or be of any significance.
A matter opinion with the Nexus line. The nexus line is a niche market that is not your cup of tea. The Nexus line and OEM devices can't compare in terms success it just again matter of preference. Those Nexus is not well receive mass consumer friendly product it is a success in it's niche market.

Again GPE devices in stores is a bad idea, yes.

To me this just sounds like a bs rumour and a pretty stupid idea from Google. Then again, they did purchase Motorola for $12.5 billion and then sold them in under 2 years for $3 billion, so Google are very capable of making some completely dumbass decisions from time to time.

You are wrong in this statement above. Yes buying company for $12.5 billion then selling less than quarter of what you purchases for seems illogical. However what did Google get from Motorola?

Google took Motorola's patent portfolio and DARPA special rd team with know project Ara.( We don't know what other projects Google has from this team that they have not announce or what other projects they are working on). Are patents, a DARPA Special RD Team and project ara worth 9.5 billion? Yes.

First let's talk about the value of patents. Remember the Samsung verse apple back last year or more. Apple had like over 40 patent that Samsung infringe on. The courts dwindles the patents to about six but let's just say ten.( I will explain later) Samsung was slapped with 1 billion dollars over 10 patents. So patents are worth billions. Now we understand the value of patents how many patents did Google acquire from Motorola. Google has almost 20000 patents from Motorola. Now now each patent is not worth a billion but they are well over 9 billion dollars worth of patent lawsuit protection. Moto's patents don't earn Google anymore money but they save an unimaginable am amount money from lawsuits. Therefore on the patents alone Google made a wise decision to buy Moto for them.

Now Project Ara which is a project Google want long time ago. The team behind Project Ara was bought by Moto long before the phone block concept spread across the internet. Now hard to say if this team is worth billions of dollars as they stand now but I believe the knowledge, tech and ideas they creating have potential to be billions. If Project Ara makes revolutionary change from rotary phones to digital then the net worth again is unimaginable. Even then project Ara is not success Google will have new found knowledge, tech and patents to continue project till it's a success.

Google is not dumb company. They are company that seem to be caught up in many ideas but can't fully realizing any particular idea before moving to the next.

Though each idea Google has been to revolutionize way we connect with data in all facets of our life. This being end goal for Google it's hard have fully focus one particular idea when they have bigger all encompassing idea.

Last edited:

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
We don't know enough about it yet to say for certain but I'm open to speculation and discussion unlike some of the close minded responses I received in a similar thread. Having said that I'll repeat what I said there. Some of the OEMs are doing a much better fork of Android than google's own now and I've switched from being a nexus/GPE fan to loving what the OEMs have been doing.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
As long as Motorola doesn't stray from the software strategy introduced with the Moto X and Moto G, I have no need for "Android Silver".

I'm inclined to agree, though I'm still really debating if I'll go with another Moto after my X. If the silver devices are nice and available on VZW I may be convinced to ditch Moto.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
First let's talk about the value of patents. Remember the Samsung verse apple back last year or more. Apple had like over 40 patent that Samsung infringe on. The courts dwindles the patents to about six but let's just say ten.( I will explain later) Samsung was slapped with 1 billion dollars over 10 patents. So patents are worth billions. Now we understand the value of patents how many patents did Google acquire from Motorola. Google has almost 20000 patents from Motorola. Now now each patent is not worth a billion but they are well over 9 billion dollars worth of patent lawsuit protection. Moto's patents don't earn Google anymore money but they save an unimaginable am amount money from lawsuits. Therefore on the patents alone Google made a wise decision to buy Moto for them.

Motorola's patents aren't worth jack crap. Motos patents are patents like radio frequency patents and stuff like that. Things that are considered standard essential patents that the courts won't let you sue for. That's what the majority of their patents are, technologies, not trade dress.

This was proven when Google tried to sue Microsoft for $4 billion a year using Motos patents, the outcome? $1 million and that's it.

There is no way in hell Google's finance team thought 'hey let's buy a company for $12.5 billion and sell it off for a quarter of what we bought it for in under two years'. Sorry, I'm not buying it. That's just a boneheaded decision any way you try to slice it.

The patents are worthless. Google have tired to use them to sue people, and been told they're worthless. The Motorola acquisition was a snap decision and it turned out to be a bad decision.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't believe you're going to see that with the Note series. Its software features all come from Touch Wiz (it's what makes it a Note!). Otherwise you just have a large screen device with a general stylus (no advanced functionality of the S-Pen). :(
Maybe that will change. We've already seen with the M8 that it's got all of the features of the original in the GPe. I think we could see it happen with something like the Note or Moto X with the touchless control and active display notifications, etc.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Motorola's patents aren't worth jack crap. Motos patents are patents like radio frequency patents and stuff like that. Things that are considered standard essential patents that the courts won't let you sue for. That's what the majority of their patents are, technologies, not trade dress.

This was proven when Google tried to sue Microsoft for $4 billion a year using Motos patents, the outcome? $1 million and that's it.

There is no way in hell Google's finance team thought 'hey let's buy a company for $12.5 billion and sell it off for a quarter of what we bought it for in under two years'. Sorry, I'm not buying it. That's just a boneheaded decision any way you try to slice it.

The patents are worthless. Google have tired to use them to sue people, and been told they're worthless. The Motorola acquisition was a snap decision and it turned out to be a bad decision.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

20,000 patents are what Google are sitting on. The patents used against Microsoft were just small few which I said not ever patent is worth billions. Business Analyst have compared net worth of Motorola patents more than $4.5 billion of Nortel patents. Nortel patent portfolio is only made up of 6000 patents. Google again has 20,000 and 7,000 more to be approved. They have at least 4.5 billion worth patents

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/2011/08/15/google-buys-motorola-and-its-giant-patent-portfolio/

"Yes, $12 billion is a lot to pay for that privilege. But, unlike the $4.5 billion an Apple/Microsoft-led consortium payed for the Nortel patents not too long ago, that $12 billion buys a lot of other tangible assets that Google can sell off. It wouldn?t surprise me if Google?s expenditure on the deal actually nets out to less ? and Motorola?s patents will be much heavier artillery than Nortel?s. Motorola, after all, was making smartphone precursors like the StarTac well before the Danger hiptop or the iPhone; it*will*have blocking patents."

Google really only spent 4 billion on Motorola in the end. Google bought Moto for 12.5 billion the then sold the company for about 3 billion. They spent 9.5 billion on Moto but went acquire Moto they also took Moto 3 billion cash the company had saved. Now Google has spent only 6.5 billion. Lastly before selling company Google sold individual properties of Moto for about 2.5 billion in total. Therefore Google spent about 4 billion on company with patents worth more than 4.5 billion at least. I may not be able to convince you but facts remain the same.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/30/google-paid-4b-for-patents-why-the-motorola-deal-worked-out-just-fine/
"Sure, Google bought the company for $12.5 billion and sold it for around $3 billion, but that doesn?t necessarily mean it was a bad deal from a patent perspective. While the spread suggests Google lost its shirt, the amount it will*actually spent on Motorola at the end of the day is around $4 billion ? and it?s keeping the patents."

"The $4 billion figure, as analyst*Benedict Evans,*the*New York Times*and*Bloombergnoted, results from the fact that Motorola had around $3 billion in cash on hand, and from the $6 billion Google recouped from selling off units of the device maker."

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can look at Nexus phones as a whole and say Google had one vision for the entire line that has continued through from Nexus One through Nexus 5.

Nexus One: I saw this one as purely the developer device. Even though this launched with Eclair, it was the launch device for Froyo. IIRC, you could only get it from Google. It was priced similarly to full-retail of other smartphones at the time. Shows off the "pure Android" experience.

Nexus S: Launched Gingerbread. Starts the "no SD card" trend. Was priced similarly to full-retail of other smartphones at the time but was also available on-contract with Sprint so with the retail presence, it wasn't a purely developer focused phone to me. Continues the "pure Android" experience.

Galaxy Nexus: Launched Ice Cream Sandwich. Was priced similarly to full-retail of other smartphones at the time but was also available on-contract with Verizon and eventually Sprint so again, it wasn't a purely developer focused phone to me. Continues the "pure Android" experience.

Nexus 4: Launched Jelly Bean. Started the lower-cost trend because it wasn't priced similarly to full-retail of other smartphones. It also started the "non-removable battery" trend. I believe it was available on-contract with T-Mobile. Continues the "pure Android" experience.

Nexus 5: Launched KitKat. Continued the lower-cost trend. Available on-contract with Sprint. But no longer shows off the "pure Android" experience. With the Google Now launcher bringing Google Now to the forefront, the Nexus 5 starts the "pure Google" experience.

Michael Arguelles

May 6, 2014
Visit site
100% agree, i mean the Nexus line is on par with some of the top phones already, so what's really going to change? I mean if you're telling me that they could have made a better phone all along, then I have to ask what are they waiting for?

Michael Arguelles

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Can we bring the conversation back to the Silver program.... Currently I'm in the market for a phone and I was leaning towards the Nexus 6, but now that google is throwing around the word "premium" with the silver program it makes me wonder how much better a silver phone is going to be.

Michael Arguelles

May 6, 2014
Visit site
This all is very possible. Google is just rebranding because they already have a successful tablet in the Nexus 7 and probably don't want to associate their phones with the success the tablet has had. I like the Nexus line, but the truth is most people haven't even heard of it and if they have they may not know it's google.