4.7in Flagship Android Phone

crazyralph90

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Anybody else sick of how big phones are going? I think the sweetspot is 4.3-4.7 in. I just hope Moto X2 has high end specs with a nice camera, all the mini s5 and mini HTC phones are just way too low of specs for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I can deal with up to about 5 in, but anything bigger feels too big and blocky in my hands. I have a Moto X right now, and it feels just right.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I love the bigger phones. I have large hands and anything smaller than 4.7" feels ridiculously small to me. That's why I have the Note 2 and am waiting and hoping to see if they build a larger Note 4.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I smell an opportunity for competitors to stake out some unclaimed turf. Either that, or the sub 5 inch niche just might be the province of affordable second tier phones.

crazyralph90

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I hoping Googles newly acquired Project Ara changes the smartphone game on its head like Android did in 2009.

Posted via Android Central App

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I would jump in if there was a premium 4.7" phone..I agree Moto X is right up there but the camera, oh the camera experience needs to rival iPhone and/or the Lumias....in every other sense I think the Moto X is a perfect phone. Now keep in mind though, I don't like paying too much for a phone so the iPhone is obviously out for me. I currently use a Lumia and a Nexus interchangeably....

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Anything 4.5 or smaller is useless to me that I would never buy. My sweet spot is 5".

I agree. 5in. feels like the sweet spot. I really hope the trend isn't to get bigger with every new flagship phone. Otherwise we'll be walking around with tablets held up to our ears.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It's just easier to make larger phones. More room to put components. This combined with the success of larger handsets has pushed the entire market in this direction.

I would love to see a 4.5" screen will bezel like the moto x. Just to see how it would do. I personally think 5" with no bezel will be the sweet spot for me, but I would like someone to make a smaller flagship just to see how it sold.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The 5.1 on the GS5 is as big as im willing to go on a full time phone and it wasnt too much of a difference between the 4.7 of the nexus 4. Id go with a bigger screen only if the phone got smaller and it had on screen buttons

Regulator

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I love the 4.7 inch screen size for the HTC One and think it is a great size . . . and this after I didn't want anything larger than the 4" DInc2. We just updated my wife's phone to the GS5 with it's 5.1" screen and it's pretty nice to look at without being much bigger than my One. I think the size of the HTC One M7 is ideal for me. I handled the M8 in the store and it was just a little too tall for my personal tastes, but i'm sure that would change after having it for a couple days.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
But if every flagship phone is over 5"(in the near future), where's the choice?

The lack of choice in phone sizes is definitely a problem. So, let's say you had to design a smaller phone. You won't have as much space as a larger phone for components. What are you willing to sacrifice to bring the size of the phone down?

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have and love the GS4 GPE. I'm toying with going with the Sony Xperia Z2. I already have and love the tablet Xperia Z2; incredible device. The Xperia z2 phone version is 5.2" with a small bezel. Reviews state that it appears to be a "big" phone due to the squareness of the form factor. 5.2" would be the largest size I can see myself using. I'm 6'2" 205lbs FWIW.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It's just easier to make larger phones. More room to put components. This combined with the success of larger handsets has pushed the entire market in this direction.

I would love to see a 4.5" screen will bezel like the moto x. Just to see how it would do. I personally think 5" with no bezel will be the sweet spot for me, but I would like someone to make a smaller flagship just to see how it sold.

Agree It's just easier and much cheaper to make larger phones. Everyone wants a smaller Flagship phone to have all the features of the lager Flagship phone. Including a long battery life of the larger Flagships phones but there is no room for that in the smaller phones. Yet these same people don't want to pay extra for a smaller sized phone that cost more to design, cost more for parts and cost more to manufacture. Miniaturization is very a expensive process.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have and love the GS4 GPE. I'm toying with going with the Sony Xperia Z2. I already have and love the tablet Xperia Z2; incredible device. The Xperia z2 phone version is 5.2" with a small bezel. Reviews state that it appears to be a "big" phone due to the squareness of the form factor. %.2" would be the largest size I can see myself using. I'm 6'2" 205lbs FWIW.
There is going to be a Xperia Z2 Z3 Compact, it's already out in Japan but with a different name, it also have flagship specs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith