3 sided displays, e.g. Note 4 rumors: like or not like?

Do you like possible 3 sided display for Note 4?

• Total voters
Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
When I read rumours about the Note 4 having a 3 sided display and when I see concept pics of 3 sided displays, it seems to me that the downside outweighs the upside.

Why would I want to view material on a small portion of the screen from an angle instead of directly head on?

What would phone cases for this kind of phone be like, in a way that is functional and attractive?

A moderator on this forum once said that people clamoring for big change in smartphone hardware are only a small segment of the consumer base and that Samsung's overall philosophy is to appeal to the masses by not rocking the boat too much with big hardware changes. I agree. So, my questions to you are:

1. Do you like or dislike the concept of a 3 sided display for the Note 4?

2. Do you believe that Samsung will actually go in this direction for the Note 4?

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't want a three sided Note 4 display. If Samsung does try something like a three sided Note 4, I would guess that it would be in some variant of the Note 4 and not on the flagship version.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would want to see a 3 sided display in action first, but I have no inherent like or dislike for the concept itself. So far, I've only seen the 3 sided display used for limited functions. For example, you would slide to unlock the phone from the side. If you were scrolling through your contacts alphabetically, the letters of the alphabet would be on the side, while the contact names would be on the front. If you had your phone lying on a table and a notification pops up, you could see it from the side.

Whether these are compelling features remain to be seen. However, Samsung has a reputation for doing just about anything. At the very least, it doesn't look like Apple could convince a jury that a 3 sided Samsung phone is copying the iPhone.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Great! So when I drop my phone there is a greater chance for screen on ground contact!

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't get what the benefit would be. I certainly don't like the concept art showing icons on the side that for me is useless. I am lookking for the Note 4 to be a big change for Samsung but I suspect it won't be much of a change in terms of design. The run the risk of going too far in the opposite direction and alienating customers.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't want a three sided Note 4 display. If Samsung does try something like a three sided Note 4, I would guess that it would be in some variant of the Note 4 and not on the flagship version.

+1 My thoughts as well. :)

IMO, if they made the regular flagship with a three sided screen, they run a very high risk of losing a lot of existing Note owners/fans. Can't see them doing that. Instead I'd expect them to put out a variant first to test the waters and then depending on the response may be look to implement it on the flagship Note 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2