Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Auto add-on for existing cars?

I feel as though they should sell this also as a dashboard add-on in the same vein as a CD player or DVD player, after all it is just a unit that mirrors your phone, so it would make sense. I think it would make adoption incredibly widespread if I only had to pay ~200-300 bucks to get this tech on my car.

But who knows with car manufacturers...

Default Re: Android Auto add-on for existing cars?

The keynote listed manufacturers like clarion and a few others, so it would make sense to see these popping up some time.

Man I hope so. From the looks of it, all Android Auto needs to operate is a "dumb" touch-capable display that can plug into your phone via USB. If something like that can get power from a car outlet and connect to in-car Bluetooth for audio and calls, there wouldn't even need to be any dashboard installation. I'm thinking something that looks like a Nexus 7 that you can mount easily in any car, like older Garmin/TomTom GPS units. The phone is doing all the processing, so all you'd be buying is the screen.

Better yet, give me the option to use my old Nexus 7 for Android Auto.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

I really hope it is more than that. I have my phone mounted on my dash now. I installed an AMPS plate, and mounted a ball to it that was compatible with the phone's car dock. I installed a Bluetooth device that connected to the car's AUX port. Other than screen size, I have what you just described already, and it is ok at best. Really, the car functionality of my Droid RAZR was better then the Droid MAXX. Third party car docks and car dock apps that break my home button don't cut it. That's another topic, but considering how it has gotten worse, I have been waiting for a secondary device to take over auto functions.

I want an in-dash unit that links to my phone with Bluetooth as soon as I am in range. I don't want to plug my phone into anything. I want to leave it in my pocket and get in the car. The in-dash unit should have its own Android apps and be upgradeable. The phone should only supply a connection to the internet, and stored music if I'm not streaming. The in-dash unit should do the rest, including having its own GPS received, because my phone in my pocket may not get as good of a signal. I want apps that provide what I want while I drive, such as a GPS app with music controls on-screen, so I don't have to app switch.

What else do I want? I want it to interface with the car and provide EVIC functions. I want it to send collected data on my car to an online account that I can review from my desk. Gas mileage, tire pressure, maintenance information, error codes, and more. I want customizable notifications. I want it to alert me when tire pressure reaches a threshold I set, not the car. I want it to analyze my driving habits and recommend alternate routes I might not have thought of. I want it to massage my back while I drive and tell me I'm handsome in a sexy female voice, too. Seriously though, this is a new device. I look at it the same way I'm looking at the upcoming Moto 360. I want it, but I also want to know what it will do for me beyond the basics. For my car, I have the basics already.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post
    Man I hope so. From the looks of it, all Android Auto needs to operate is a "dumb" touch-capable display that can plug into your phone via USB. If something like that can get power from a car outlet and connect to in-car Bluetooth for audio and calls, there wouldn't even need to be any dashboard installation. I'm thinking something that looks like a Nexus 7 that you can mount easily in any car, like older Garmin/TomTom GPS units. The phone is doing all the processing, so all you'd be buying is the screen.

Better yet, give me the option to use my old Nexus 7 for Android Auto.