It's safe to say after Apple unviels iPhone 6, Samsung will be the first to use Sapphire in S6?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
MKBHD just uploaded Apple's 4.7" iPhone 6 Sapphire.

I'm very impressed but will continue to use Screen Protectors.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks awesome... And I don't use screen protectors

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to need him to exert damage beyond "regular use". Thank you very much. Please smash away with said jagged edge rock and take that knife like a narcissistic out of mind blackjack dealer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to need him to exert damage beyond "regular use". Thank you very much. Please smash away with said jagged edge rock and take that knife like a narcissistic out of mind blackjack dealer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Besides entertainment or curiosity, what is the point in doing that?

Sent from my amazing Galaxy S3

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that Gorilla Glass 3 wouldn't have scratched from any of the tests Marques performed on the sapphire. Because sapphire is more scratch resistant due to its superior hardness stuff like quartz sand wouldn't have scratched the sapphire, but would have scratched Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass, however, can handle more pressure.

If I had a choice I would go with sapphire protection only because drops will shatter either displays, but at least one wouldn't have to worry about scratches for one of them.

The Me

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If I had a choice I would go with sapphire protection only because drops will shatter either displays, but at least one wouldn't have to worry about scratches for one of them.

The problem isn't scratches, it's cracking the screen. Let's start making screens that are unbreakable...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The stress from the bending is what is impressive. Glass does not like that.

However I am afraid that this will be the most prone to shattering of and glass material. You do not get a material that hard without also making it very brittle. I imagine the point impact resistance is nothing on this stuff. You drop your phone on its corner and goodbye.

I don't think any other companies will use sapphire. Apple has invested huge amounts of money into the manufacturing process. I don't see any other companies doing so. Too much investment for minimal rewards.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a lot of money to spend on something entirely unnecessary. Scratches are NOT the biggest problem... it's shattering. My Nexus 5 has a GG3 screen and it was spotless for the two months I had it without anyting protecting it. I've since thrown in a $8 temptered glass screen protector.... 5 months in, not a scratch on that one either. Everything I've seen points to sapphire screens being pretty much just as prone to shattering as GG3...

So what's the point?

Seems to me to be an expensive marketing gimmick...an attempt to keep justifying to their user base why they should keep overpaying for an iPhone. Look... we have a sapphire screen.... it's a jewel.... not like the low-rent glass on that Android phone... phsaw....

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Because sapphire is more scratch resistant due to its superior hardness stuff like quartz sand wouldn't have scratched the sapphire, but would have scratched Gorilla Glass.

I think this trait is what will make screen protectors irrelevant on sapphire screens. If it doesn't get scratched (even micro-scratched) by sand, which is likely the hardest material any screen is likely to come into contact with, then nothing will affect it. Hopefully all the OEMs will jump on the bandwagon and make it mainstream for the next iteration of their flagship devices... and hopefully, 3rd party manufacturers will be able to sell sapphire glass screen protectors to everyone else at a reasonable price.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Scratches are a huge problem... they made zagg millions

Sent from my Galaxy S5

That's why it isn't a problem. There is an easy, relatively inexpensive solution to keeping scratches off your screen; slap a protector on it. If you don't like the feel of the plastic ones, get a glass protector (which I highly recommend anyhow), which not only feel like the stock glass screen, but the good ones are cut to be nearly indistinguishable from the stock screen. The only real tell the one for my Nexus 5 has is the cutouts around the speaker and prox sensor.

Sapphire screens are still going to shatter. And to avoid that requires you to slap what is oftentimes a honkin' big case around the thing. Yes, there are slim cases, but they only marginally improve matters... I have a well-known brand of slim profile case that I've used on my Nexus 5. Had a worst-case drop... on its corner on a tile floor. Yes, without the case, my screen would have been a goner, but as is, the phone took a hard enough hit that a corner of the back cover pulled away.... if it took that much damage, the fact that I didn't end up with a spider's web for a screen comes down to luck and not so much the case.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Apple had to buy/build a $500 million (don't remember exact number) factory to mass produce these screens. Unless Samsung or Corning does the same, we will not be seeing sapphire screens on any mainstream Android phones. The only ones that have it are Vertu phones

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
So is sapphire indeed stronger than gorilla glass? I know that corning has some in-house tests in which GG3 wins out for scratches and bending, but I've been unable to find any other literature on the subject.

Posted via Android Central App

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
To put it in perspective, most mid-to-high-end watches use manmade sapphire crystals in lieu of mineral glass or advanced plastic. Mine is sapphire, and I mercilessly submit it to a vast range of scratching and nicking impacts daily, and after two years, I have not even one tiny scratch.

20140716_173848-1-1.jpg

Now, the crystal itself is 4mm thick, so pressure/impact cracking is not so much an issue as it might be with a phone screen. But I, for one, will be happy when such screens are available on anything other than the Fisher-Price phones.

mjc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781