Rollable, foldable screens next year?

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Realistically, are we going to see these next year, or are we still some way off yet? Are there any other really groundbreaking features that are expected in next years phones, or are we just looking at even bigger, faster slabs of plastic, metal & glass?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think we'll see them this year. As to how useful that'll be, remains to be seen. Bendable/Rollable electronics are definitely out of the question right now (the fact that you can bend the screen doesn't mean you can do the same with the rest of the device, and a transparent rollout screen is not very clever, as several LCD products in the past have shown). Think about this: You can bend your screen around your device, so the same screen falls all around it. Then you drop your phone and it lands on one tiny corner, or on its side. Bye bye screen. Phone case? Will probably get in the way and detriment from your phone experience.

Another feature that's poised to be trending this year is haptic feedback, or screens that make you 'feel' the things you touch. Samsung already has this to some extent on a few of their devices, but it will pick up because the rumor mill has it that Apple is set to 'invent' this technology with the iPhone 6.

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The haptic feedback sounds fun, sounds like the iPhone 6 will have it.

Will probably get another slab of glass, plastic & metal to keep me up to date for the next couple of years, and then get a phone with teleportation, invisibility cloaking and time travel features.

sogard1977

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
i don't see any roll able, fold able screens any time soon..not until the graphene technology becomes viable and mainstream and that will be probably in 10-15 years maybe more.Most likely the first graphene application that will see will be the batteries.The energy created just by picking up a phone from the table to answer a call will fully charge the phone.Try google graphene and you will see a full table of amazing applications that this material has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34