Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Default Why I think the Nexus S might be the best choice for the google phone

I keep seeing complaints about the fact that the nexus s is from Samsung. However, this might be for the best, and here's why. This is based on the assumption google knows more than we do about android.

There have been a bunch of very high end phones "announced" lately, from the motorola t2, to the nexus s, to several htc phones. It would not surprise me at all if at least a few of these phones were "bids" at the flagship google phone. If this is true, then google chose the nexus s for a reason, whatever that might be. This is where the "google knows android better than we do" assumption comes into play.

Interested in hearing other thoughts on this. I don't think google would just assign a manufacturer to build thier top titer device without a set of"tryouts", would they? If it had been just adb assignment like that, I would have thought htc or motorola for it.

Sent from my phone. Ignore the typos.

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks

I figured Google would continue to work HTC on the Nexus line, since they choose HTC to launch the G1 (first Android Device) and the Nexus One (first google phone).

And, just maybe, Google took on the lowest bidder. Google is in business of making money too.
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8 = BOOM
    You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

I think its more related to Samsung has sent out its flagship device in all carriers something Google failed to do with n1.

Therefore they know that Samsung is undoubtedly capable of doing this.
    Also Samsung has the Orion processor. Which would certainly be another turning points for cell phones as the original n1 was too

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

I think Samsung sucks at the software side of things, but their hardware is pretty solid. Super AMOLED is the best screen tech on the market, and their CPUs/GPUs are the best. It's also worth noting that their cameras are incredibly good. Now realize that GOOGLE, not Samsung, will be handling developing the software for this phone, and it suddenly becomes an amazing prospect.
    Thanked by:

make sense....or the Nexus S are just one of the many Google Experience Phone that will flood this market in a few months

i agree with the post above....you guys gotta remember, this isnt Touchwiz, this is Google taking the lead in the software, and Samsung is just providing the hardware! I cant wait to get this phone! and another thing, my N1 speakers are TERRIBLE! HTC doesnt know how to make good speakers, idk why! Samsung is a lot better in that area! i have trusted Google from the very beginning (went from Iphone to G1 when G1 came out), i have no reason to not trust them in the decision to move from HTC to Samsung! im excited!

IMO the chances of Samsung and Nexus are the same chances of getting poinsettias in pink and yellow. Why would Google suddenly go from HTC to Samsung, not to mention the massive amounts of conflicting rumors in the psat couple weeks, the worst one is Best Buy releasing it tomorrow at the same time as it being delayed for a dual core (which Samsung announced TWO MONTHS ago), along with the picture with a photoshopped Google logo.
    HTC Desire / CyanogenMod 7.1
    Motorola can kiss my a##

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

(I think Samsung sucks at the software side of things, )WrlsFanatic
    This could be true. maybe this is away for Samsung to build up there UI. If Google is working with their hardware they can also inprove on the software. If the next Google phone is a Samsung they might work on the updates faster and that in turn would make me happy.

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

I'd actually like to see Google get around to all the major manufacturers and give each a "Nexus" shot. Say about 18 months apart. I'd be really interested in seeing a Moto Nexus.
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

sndplace --> I too am a bit concerned about Samsung. However, if Google decided to name this product as their next "Nexus" phone then as mentioned elsewhere, I can only assume that they will stand by it. I have a G1, had a Nexus One (now with our daughter), have a HD2 and use a Vibrant. Yes, I am a phone nut. I am skipping the current generation (like the MT4G) and probably get the Nexus-S when it comes out. Will that be my last phone? Heck no! BTW, I played with the HD7 and although I like the form/fit/function aspect, I dislike Windows Phone. As Microsoft recently mentioned, it was designed to give you an AOL feel. In other words, for the masses who want a warm, comfy and secure platform (ok, maybe not that secure ;-). I want to root and customize my phone so I don't like the boxed-in look & feel.
    Last edited by Flashfox; 11-13-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't know why everyone wants HTC to make it, every HTC device I have used had a defect of sorts(dead pixels, things under the screen) they cut corners and the quality of the device just ends up being diminished greatly. I think some of you are right, Samsung succeeded in delivering a rich Android experience on every major carrier in America, something Google failed to do with the Nexus one. Plus, Samsung has the best hardware out of any single manufacture.
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

i cant deny samsung has done what google has failed to do. but if they could have done it with stock android it would have been great
    Rooted for life

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    I don't know why everyone wants HTC to make it, every HTC device I have used had a defect of sorts(dead pixels, things under the screen) they cut corners and the quality of the device just ends up being diminished greatly. I think some of you are right, Samsung succeeded in delivering a rich Android experience on every major carrier in America, something Google failed to do with the Nexus one. Plus, Samsung has the best hardware out of any single manufacture.
    I never used an HTC android device before but I heard about the same defects as well. This whole issue for most people is that Samsung products are made out of plastic vs the whole aluminum from HTC. Wasn't the Droid Incredible and Evo made from plastic (Imma have to check out my brother's Evo again)? I didn't hear alot of complains about that. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, dont buy it. this whole issue to me is just a brand war. HTC to many people is just plain cooler than Samsung. So even if an HTC device have a known defect, ppl will still buy it like Apple fanboy does with the Iphone 4.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

^^ so true i want a htc device but they have been known to cut corners their is no reason the dinc released with that small battery when a 1750mah battery fit. ill take samsung with google providing updates any day of the week the galaxy s series of phones are great and with stock gingerbread they will only be better
    Rooted for life

smokey and luke opinion make alot of sense. When I was first into android, i wanted a HTC device too. I just thought HTC phones were really cool. Now I just go for whichever phone have the best available spec. for the network im on regardless who is the manufacturer.
    Last edited by frozencloud; 11-13-2010 at 11:44 PM.

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by judasmachine View Post
    I'd actually like to see Google get around to all the major manufacturers and give each a "Nexus" shot. Say about 18 months apart. I'd be really interested in seeing a Moto Nexus.
    I think that is an amazing idea. I believe it would in a way force companies to really try hard on the specs because they would want their nexus phone to be better than everyone elses. but would it create too many nexus phones??
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

not necessarily as long as their stock android and root-able i mean very easy to root bring them on. the manufactures can make all kinds of devices. but the nexus line could be high end stock android and completely open just how i like it
    Rooted for life

Would love a Nexus S as a Verizon world phone with quad band GSM/UMTS, but alas I doubt there'll be one.

Samsung makes good screens, but there phones are cheap plastic

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's official Eric Schmidt just stated that gingerbread will come on an upcoming device that is still unannounced. He even used it and everything. As for the "quality" debate, I still think Samsung has the best quality and hardware. HTC only uses Qualcomm processors, which are still great, but the dual cores don't even go up to par with the Hummingbird processors. Any way, Samsung may use plastic but the devices are built extremely solid, the glossy feel is better on your hands than cold aluminum(coming from me at least, I hate my sweaty palm brushing against aluminum). Also, we are not even sure if the device is even made of plastic, it's just pure speculation. The Nexus one looks like it is made of aluminum, when it isn't.
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Now im wondering if it will have a front camera and be on Tmobiles 4G speeds.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Stupid gsm radios.

I'm praying it will be dual mode radio... God, please...
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Quote Originally Posted by JoseN305 View Post
    Now im wondering if it will have a front camera and be on Tmobiles 4G speeds.
    I'd assume it'll have both. (Engadget photos showed front facing camera)

Hoping for 16gb on board storage w/ microsd slot expandable up to 32gb

Also, Orion or 1.2ghz Hummingbird?

I hope Orion.

Global Posts
    10,401 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Honestly, the nexus one by HTC with the track ball never thrilled me. Anything is possible I suppose...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast