1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Liberty 1.5

Default Why no android devices with E-ink keyboards?

Just curious if there's any reason why they aren't any android phones with E-ink keyboards. I know 2 years ago when I got my BB storm, my mom upgraded to a samsung alias 2, just a messaging phone but I thought it had a cool concept. You could open it like a flip phone and the keys would show a keypad or open it clamshell and you had a qwerty keyboard. The Alias 2 was a bit plastic-y and not a smartphone so it wasn't quite my thing but it was just an entry level phone (think it was like $80 after $50 rebate). An Android phone like that could have the keys change for a media app or game controls with the right software. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why no android devices with E-ink keyboards?-samsung_alias_2_big.jpg  
    HTC Mugol>BB Storm>Droid X>Thunderbolt>VZW Galaxy Nexus (in car now)> Droid DNA
    Acer Inonia a500- CM10
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

I don't know what this is, but is it a touch screen or real keys that change there function based on phone and screen placement. That is a cool concept. You can put your game pad into settings so when you open up a game the keys would change.

thanks for the information. I didn't know they made something like that.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

Honestly I probably would want to use it...a portrait flip phone would definitely hinder the screen size...I would like to see the changing keys though..it would be nice if you had a full qwerty keyboard that switched between letters and numbers

Sent from my SuperSonic....
    I tweet too - @enzofall

I like this concept, too. I'm new here and not real phone hardware savvy ... what's E-Ink?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Liberty 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by debsdroid View Post
    I like this concept, too. I'm new here and not real phone hardware savvy ... what's E-Ink?
    E-ink is like the display on a kindle, it doesnt need a backlight, shows text very clearly and once an image is displayed, it takes very little power to keep it there.
    HTC Mugol>BB Storm>Droid X>Thunderbolt>VZW Galaxy Nexus (in car now)> Droid DNA
    Acer Inonia a500- CM10

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have a friend who has this exact phone, and it’s a pretty cool concept. The only problem is the keys can be very difficult to read in direct sunlight, so that might be an issue.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

my sister and i owned this phone , i loved the keyboard, you could have less keys and more funtions because they keys would change, but what chris says is true its hard to see in sunlight but i would still purchase it if it was part of a good design

this can also be acomplished by using OLED keys which would make it better in sunlight but would be much more expensive and battery usage would be more than E-ink

i agree though if they could find a way to add E-ink into the game they would have something really good, it would use little battery and keyboards would be much easier to use

My guess is that it is not worth it since the phone already will have a touchscreen

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Good idea for Android, since most of their phones with physical keyboards have backlit keys. If they were bright enough to see outside, however, they would be entirely too bright to look at in a dark environment. I'm typing in bed right now and can barely look at my screen on the lowest brightness setting, let alone an OLED keyboard lol.
    Droid 3 XT862 working on T-Mobile using XT883 radio.img and custom build.prop

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by BenSWoodruff View Post
    Good idea for Android, since most of their phones with physical keyboards have backlit keys. If they were bright enough to see outside, however, they would be entirely too bright to look at in a dark environment. I'm typing in bed right now and can barely look at my screen on the lowest brightness setting, let alone an OLED keyboard lol.
    Throw on a pair of Ray Bans and stop complaining lol