I wonder what the next Nexus phone will be called?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I know it's around a year away, but I've been curiously amused as to what the next Nexus phone will actually be called. The Nexus 4, 5, and 6 all followed a naming scheme that had two meanings; the number represented both the number of Nexus phone it was (i.e. the Nexus 4 was the 4th Nexus phone), as well as the screen size.

But aside from the fact that I don't ever see phone screen sizes going above six inches, the "Nexus 7" name has already been used for the Nexus tablets. So the Nexus 6 will likely be the last of this naming pattern.

So, do they ignore that and call it the Nexus 7? Do they add some kind of non-numeric description to the title (Nexus X, Nexus _____, etc.)? Do they ditch the Nexus line completely, and start a new brand that serves the same purpose (perhaps the rumored Android Silver)?

What do you think?

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I know it's around a year away, but I've been curiously amused as to what the next Nexus phone will actually be called. The Nexus 4, 5, and 6 all followed a naming scheme that had two meanings; the number represented both the number of Nexus phone it was (i.e. the Nexus 4 was the 4th Nexus phone), as well as the screen size.

But aside from the fact that I don't ever see phone screen sizes going above six inches, the "Nexus 7" name has already been used for the Nexus tablets. So the Nexus 6 will likely be the last of this naming pattern.

So, do they ignore that and call it the Nexus 7? Do they add some kind of non-numeric description to the title (Nexus X, Nexus _____, etc.)? Do they ditch the Nexus line completely, and start a new brand that serves the same purpose (perhaps the rumored Android Silver)?

What do you think?

My guess is they try keeping Nexus name after a multi carrier launch.. I'm also guessing they have the Nexus 6 2015 edition

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Since the Nexus 7, Google has gone with relative screen size.

Nexus 7 (2012): 7" tablet
Nexus 4: 4" phone
Nexus 10: 10" tablet
Nexus 7 (2013): 7" tablet
Nexus 5: 5" phone
Nexus 9: 9" tablet
Nexus 6: 6" phone

It wouldn't surprise me to see them re-use 4 or 5 (as 2014).

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Since the Nexus 7, Google has gone with relative screen size.

Nexus 7 (2012): 7" tablet
Nexus 4: 4" phone
Nexus 10: 10" tablet
Nexus 7 (2013): 7" tablet
Nexus 5: 5" phone
Nexus 9: 9" tablet
Nexus 6: 6" phone

It wouldn't surprise me to see them re-use 4 or 5 (as 2014).

The nexus 4 had a 4.7 inch screen, not 4 inch.. plus look at the other previous nexus phones, the nexus one by HTC, then the 2nd and 3rd generations from Samsung, nexus s and galaxy nexus which were not associated with screen sizes either.. doesn't have to be associated with screen size, I think the 4, 5, and 6 were just reference to what generation they were on..

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 4 had a 4.7 inch screen, not 4 inch.. plus look at the other previous nexus phones, the nexus one by HTC, then the 2nd and 3rd generations from Samsung, nexus s and galaxy nexus which were not associated with screen sizes either.. doesn't have to be associated with screen size, I think the 4, 5, and 6 were just reference to what generation they were on..

Nexus 7 as a 4, 5, 6 inch phone sounds odd.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Except the Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Right its a tablet, totally different device so different naming schemes apply.. Doesn't really matter what google names their next phone, people will love it and buy it regardless..

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Rumor has it google will be making it's own products. No more HTC, LG, Samsung or Motorola or anyone else.

I say it will be called The Google Nexus.

Posted via Nexus 4

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
To start fresh, they could call it Nexus [alphabet letter]. Subsequent iterations would then add numbers. However, X is currently used by Motorola, S by Samsung, M by HTC, G by LG, and Z by Sony.

Nexus W. Now that sounds silly.

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 6s

No but really though, I was wondering the same thing. Could they possibly go away from the nexus branding and just call it the Google phone? Or maybe a G phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Let me add my 2¢
Nexus5(2.0)
Or
Nexus10
That would be confusing wouldn't it?
Because its not a tablet, and doesn't have a 7 inch screen. Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics