Sprint, why can't they have a pure Android device?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
First, manufactures have to specifically build the phones for Sprint and Verzion as they use CDMA, not the global standard GSM.

Second, both carriers like having more control than TMO seems to want.

Third, keep in mind the only vanilla Android phone on AT&T is the N1, and they didn't even subsidize it when it launched. On all their other phones they try to prevent non-Market app installs.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
First, manufactures have to specifically build the phones for Sprint and Verzion as they use CDMA, not the global standard GSM.

Second, both carriers like having more control than TMO seems to want.

Third, keep in mind the only vanilla Android phone on AT&T is the N1, and they didn't even subsidize it when it launched. On all their other phones they try to prevent non-Market app installs.

Good point, I would love to see one on a CDMA network I don't really care witch one.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CDMA is viewed globally as obsolete and is dieing, therefore google wouldnt make something "outdated". I definately do not agree though, the two best carriers are CDMA...

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon won't allow a stock Android device that they have no control over on their network. This is partly because then they can't do things like lobotomize features of the OS and make you pay extra for them (a la tethering). Basically, you can't just make a CDMA phone and put it on a network of your choosing (at least not easily). A stock device on a CDMA network will only happen if the carrier allows it, and it's not Google's fault for this.

T-Mo is the most open carrier, they'll sell stock/unlocked devices and even offer subsidies with contract. AT&T is much less so, but because they have a GSM network (and a promise not to block devices from their network), Google can release stock/unlocked devices for it too, like they did with the Nexus One. You'll have to pay for it unsubsidized and set up the plan seperately though, because AT&T doesn't want to support it. It's certainly there if you want it, but they don't have to make it easy (or affordable) for you.

Hope that sheds some light on things.

jessb

Dec 14, 2010
www.bestdroidcases.com
Verizon won't allow a stock Android device that they have no control over on their network. This is partly because then they can't do things like lobotomize features of the OS and make you pay extra for them (a la tethering). Basically, you can't just make a CDMA phone and put it on a network of your choosing (at least not easily). A stock device on a CDMA network will only happen if the carrier allows it, and it's not Google's fault for this.

T-Mo is the most open carrier, they'll sell stock/unlocked devices and even offer subsidies with contract. AT&T is much less so, but because they have a GSM network (and a promise not to block devices from their network), Google can release stock/unlocked devices for it too, like they did with the Nexus One. You'll have to pay for it unsubsidized and set up the plan seperately though, because AT&T doesn't want to support it. It's certainly there if you want it, but they don't have to make it easy (or affordable) for you.

Hope that sheds some light on things.

Thanks for the info- it was enlightening. But what about Sprint? The always seems to have to worst phone selection. I would think they would just be happy to get another phone...

----------------------
LG Optimus M

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Optimus S is a stock Android device. The stuff Sprint put on there are just apps. So quit whining and get it if you want vanilla android on Sprint.

Yes it comes loaded with an LG launcher but guess what? You can get rid of it. It's much less obtrusive than Sense, touchwiz, or motoblur.

Unless you guys are talking about a Nexus phone being on Sprint. That's a different story. Sprint woulda got the N1 if it wasn't for the EVO, same thing with Verizon getting the Dinc. Those two phones stopped the CDMA carriers from getting the N1.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to sound harsh, but at least look at the current lineup before asking if they have something. A Nexus phone and pure Android phone aren't the same thing, either. A Nexus phone is pure android, but a pure android phone isn't necessarily a Nexus phone.

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Come on now in the world of n1 and g2 your saying get an optimus s. That phone though nice can't be considered high end. Yes I understand its pretty much stock android but you won't see me im line waiting to get one. Now as for the question who knows maybe next year they will release some but don't hold your breath

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Optimus S can keep up with an EVO in EVERY benchmark. Don't doubt the phone because it's not expensive. I rolled with an Optimus T before it got bricked when I was testing an experimental custom recovery. That phone has absolutely zero lag. It can actually keep up with the mt4g in some of those benchmarks.

There's a reason they've sold 2 million of them, and it's not just price.

And stock android is stock android. That's all the OP asked for.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Now I never said the optimistic s was a bad phone I actually think its a great phone especially for the price but I do think its in another league when you compare it to the mt4g and the g2. But its supposed to be. And yes he asked for stock Android and the optimistic s and the samsung transform are both stock

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
They have sprint id and bloat. That's not stock...

Sure you can remove the lg launcher but it requires root. If you wanna bring rooting into it in running stock android on my evo right now... and just about any phone can be stock. Hell, look at the wildfire/buzz even it has cm support.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info- it was enlightening. But what about Sprint? The always seems to have to worst phone selection. I would think they would just be happy to get another phone...

I'm sure their EVO and Epic are doing extremely well, and perhaps they don't want to cannibalize those sales for another high end Android option. For most users, pure Google isn't something people come in the store for.

Judging by my wife and son, both of whom are on their first smartphone, something like Sense is preferable simply because it's good looking.

Last edited:

sandplasma

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Well if we think a little we can see that Tmobile received the Nexus One and ATT could ''use'' the Nexus One. Fast Fwd to now and we see that Tmobile is getting the Nexus S and ATT is left in the dust with only 2G compatibility- so they can ''use'' the Nexus S but not necessarily to its max.

Can it be that since Tmobile was the first and only company to support Android directly, they're getting special treatment? I mean, would Android be the huge hit it is now if it wasnt for Tmobiles support and subsidization (?) of the G1? I think not. My guess would be that Tmobile is reaping the rewards of a risk they took a few years ago. A behind the scenes agreement maybe?