Sub 4" superphone? why not?

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if this is the right place but...

Where the heck are the normal sized Tegra 2 phones? I would LOVE to see something like the HTC Shift / Merge but with:
  • Tegra 2
  • Front Facing Camera
  • LTE
  • Extra Large Battery
  • Keyboard (Obviously)
  • Normal Sized Screen, but a resolution as close to 1080p as is economically feasible.
  • Notification LED (multicolor would be nice)

So basically a smaller thunderbolt with a keyboad and a better battery (oh and Tegra, but that ain't happening unfortunately)

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not surprised they aren't making them, but I do think they should make a few at 3.7". I really like 3.7" screens as do many others, but will be ok with a 4". Thats my limit for a "pocket phone." Most new phones seem to be going 4.3" which is too big to comfortably hold in my hand (ala EVO), so as long as they release good 4" phones like the Atrix, I'm good :cool:

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this topic

I actually feel the Droid Incredible is the perfect size for a phone.

If HTC would release another Incredible but with top of the line specs (since the original incredible has been out for a while) I would be in heaven

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That's how I feel about the droid. Droid2 wasn't really enough for me to upgrade to...and especially so once I figure out how to root my droid1.

Gimme a droid with tegra2 plz. Atrix with keyboard would be perfect. (Atrix is 4" screen?)

cwisuth11

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised they aren't making them, but I do think they should make a few at 3.7". I really like 3.7" screens as do many others, but will be ok with a 4". Thats my limit for a "pocket phone." Most new phones seem to be going 4.3" which is too big to comfortably hold in my hand (ala EVO), so as long as they release good 4" phones like the Atrix, I'm good :cool:

My feelings exactly, 4" is the limit to what I want in a phone that I can comfortably use and carry around. Not everyone wants a 4.5" screen to lug around in their back pocket.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Im sure there will be some 3.7 in phones coming out this year. The size is just to convenient qand popular to ignore. I think that many manufacturers are making larger sizes in an attempt to really outshine the iphones small screen. The huger popularity of the Droid X and the Evo 4g didn't hurt either in sure.

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Just saying, I've gotten so used to my Evo that I'm starting to think the screen is small. I want a bigger screen now!
Yeah but that is why we have slates like the Tab and [ahem] the iPad*. Those do movies quite well and verious other things a small form factor takes a hit on. I realize 2 devices is a bit much, but think about it. It's called a PHONE. Shouldn't that be a cornerstone of the design as opposed to taking a back seat? Something that is used to communicate, not to replace a computer.

To that end, it wouldnt hurt to have a front facing camera, great battery life and the power to keep me going for the 2 or so years I am hanging on to it. Being a phone first and foremost I don't see how something that I cannot hold comfortably (skype or calling) would be a good user experience. Yes I can get a headset. Yes I can get a stand. But why? Why do I have to buy accessories that cost more then the phone to make it work right before I walk out of the store?

Maybe we should look at it this way: If I had, for instance, the Moto Xoom in my briefcase, what would I then not need my PHONE to do? What features are intrisic to a device built for communication?

* Sorry, but it's place in getting tablets a marketbase shouldn't be ignored.

Last edited:

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I really don't refer to my device as a phohe anymore. It's really a hand held computer that can also make phone calls. Most health care professionals will advice you to use a bluetooth device with your device. I couldn't amagine using mine without one. I would love a device with a screen at 5 to 6 inches that goes edge to edge. I use it as a phone only about 20% of it's overall use.