Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default My thoughts about the Motorola Xoom, IPad, and other Tablets

    Before I get started on what really is just the opinion of one man, let me say this first, I want One! I know that once I post this on a forum I will be open for criticism and will be attacked for what really are just my views. Some comments will be constructive and yet some will be completely off topic. But that is the price I will pay for giving my opinion.

    There has been a lot of speculation about what tablet is the best, what the price is for the Xoom and why that is comparable to IPad and what makes it better than the IPad. So I am going to look at this from my standpoint. I am a Network Engineer, married with a 1 year old son. And I love technology. I love Android, owning first a Droid 1 and now a Droid 2. I am not rich. $800 is a lot of money to me and my family.

    First I am going to point out something about the Apple, they are always more expensive! This has always been the case when comparing a Mac with a PC. They used to be a bit more powerful but MACs were for certain types of people. The overall consumers didn’t fall into Apple hype because the truth was the average American family wouldn’t pay that much when they could get it cheaper with a PC.

    So Apple has done two things when they came out with the IPAD. First they opened the market to a new technology and new idea, and a new toy. Thank you, Apple. Second they set the benchmark on Price. Thanks a lot Apple (sarcasm).
    There has been a lot of comparing the Xoom to the IPad. I think this is the incorrect comparison for us to be making. We should be comparing the Xoom or IPad or any tablet to a Laptop. Why? Well let’s be honest we, at least I, want the tablets to do what a laptop can do; otherwise it is pointless for me to get one. My current work Laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400, no longer for sale, but the average selling price was $969. I’m not going to go into a full spec rundown on this, just a couple things that I like and would want in my tablet. First, 150 GB HDD, can purchase upgrade of 250 GB HDD, compared to 32 GB in the Xoom. I’m not impressed. Wireless, Bluetooth, tethering when connected to my Droid 2, 14 inch screen, Windows 7, Office 2010, Keyboard, dock, webcam, 4 GB ram. These are just the small things. The point I am trying to make is that “MY” tablet needs to perform like a laptop. It needs to be able to replace my laptop! Otherwise it is just a toy, a very expensive toy. I have business needs to be met that my laptop can take care of. In today’s economy I cannot afford too many toys without justification. Plus MY tablet needs to not just be like my phone with a couple hardware enhancements and a bigger screen. Let’s be honest my Droid 2 is pretty awesome, with 32 GB storage, it does a lot. There needs to be a reason why I need the Tablet to replace my laptop and it still does more than my Android phone.

    But like I said, I want it still. I’ll wait and see, save my money, and be patient and see what happens when I have $800 to spend on such a luxury. Maybe things will be different by then.
  2. #2  
    HKM
    HKM is offline
    HKM's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

    Default

    For one Mac is PC :P PC = Personal Computer, and guess what Mac is? I know you meant to say was x86 IBM comptable microcomputer. Going off topic yet? lol BTW I also remember using Rio (anyone remember those 64mb?) based mp3 player long before iPad was even ill conceived by Job (did't use Steve so yall get confused with WoZ/Other Steve and Job). lol sorry thats where I stop reading and go pooof as your post is simply way to long but that is the price you must pay for sharing your opinion as you stated, good luck guy whatever you buying.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    So you only read the first couple of paragraphs, missed the point becuase your ADD kicked in, and you feel you have room to critisize about something that really is only leading into the point of the article. Awesome.
    LOL this is the stuff I am talking about.
  4. #4  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    There are a couple tablets that are running the new ssd drives and that's what I'm looking for. And as apple goes there have been tablets before iPad large clunky and mainly business use only. And just like the touch screen phone they took it and improved it made it slick added apple logo to it and every one thought it was amazing.

    Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  5. #5  
    Jaredshoes's Avatar

    Posts
    462 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HKM View Post
    For one Mac is PC :P PC = Personal Computer, and guess what Mac is? I know you meant to say was x86 IBM comptable microcomputer. Going off topic yet? lol BTW I also remember using Rio (anyone remember those 64mb?) based mp3 player long before iPad was even ill conceived by Job (did't use Steve so yall get confused with WoZ/Other Steve and Job). lol sorry thats where I stop reading and go pooof as your post is simply way to long but that is the price you must pay for sharing your opinion as you stated, good luck guy whatever you buying.
    that really made no sense at all because you didnt read his whole post
    nothing nothing nothing
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    neilept's Avatar

    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts

    Default

    because of the price, as much as I love my EVO, and really don't like Apple, I am seriously considering an Ipad, I can get a refurb for just over $400 with 16gb and connect to my EVO, as compared to the huge prices of the Android competitors so far. Even the Galaxy tab is more expensive with a much smaller screen.

    Of course, not being able to do flash is a deal breaker, so I patiently wait to figure this out, because I don't see myself paying more than $500 (and I will cry when I pay that much), for a tablet.
  7. #7  
    DolfanCole's Avatar

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

    Default

    I don't think the iPad or Xoom should be compared to a laptop, because simply, they cannot compare. There are so many things that a laptop can do that a tablet simply cannot. Even considering the cheapest laptops. I remember when the iPad first came out and people were being warned that it's not a laptop replacement, and not to confuse it as such. So, in effect, you're correct. It's an expensive toy.

    This also presents a problem in pricing IMO. The iPad and Xoom are priced like mid to higher end laptops, but yet don't provide nearly the same functionality. They do provide their own type of functionality, and there's some "cost" associated with more portability. But, I find it quite hard to justify the cost of a tablet over a laptop considering the functionality.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    @DolfanCole Ah HAH, someone gets my point, thank you
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    Theot's Avatar

    Posts
    212 Posts
    ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

    Default

    Not to mention, I've been told and heard that typing much more than a few words on an IPAD is a real PITA. I was in the Verizon store this weekend and they have a docking station with a full keyboard for the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Right there your over $700 for both, which I can get a really nice mid range 17" dual core laptop with a solid ATI graphics card and 4GB ram for easily (I have an 18.4" Toshiba dual core with 4 GB ram and an ATI card that I paid $650 for a year ago).

    I'm with Vanlanjl, my cousin has an IPAD, it was cool to play with, but really didn't do anything but surf the web and/or read with it and its big enough that I had to pretty much sit with it propped in my lap on a pillow or something, so at that point, I might as well use my laptop, which has a way bigger screen and I can actually type on. I have had my Fascinate for a week and while Swype is nice for texting and IMs or short emails, if I'm going to actually type something, like this post, I'll do it on my computer, not a tablet or a giant version of my phone.

    However, if you are looking for a cheap tablet/reader and like to read and have your book library with you and still have the capability to use it like a tablet, the Barnes and Noble "Nook Color" is $250 and runs Android 2.2 and is a steal of a deal. FYI.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    nice post Theot

    One thing to note is that Nook color has also been rooted which makes the cost ot it even better.

    Also the Xoom will be having a dock and keyboard also

    Please understand everyone, I love the concept of the Tablets, I am excited about the Android tablets, I want one, but when doing some real logicla thinking about it, the lack of what I can do with it compared to laptops does not justify the cost.

    I still want one though....
    lol
  11. #11  
    DolfanCole's Avatar

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanlanjl View Post
    nice post Theot

    One thing to note is that Nook color has also been rooted which makes the cost ot it even better.

    Also the Xoom will be having a dock and keyboard also

    Please understand everyone, I love the concept of the Tablets, I am excited about the Android tablets, I want one, but when doing some real logicla thinking about it, the lack of what I can do with it compared to laptops does not justify the cost.

    I still want one though....
    lol
    Full disclosure ... I have an iPad. But, it was a gift. I didn't buy it, but I do like it. And I have a laptop as well. Since I have both, I use each for what they were intended. For instance, if I'm sitting on my couch watching TV and want to browse the internet, I grab my iPad. If I'm working on a presentation for work, I grab my laptop.

    So, there's a place for tablets such as the iPad and Xoom., as there's a place for a laptop. The issue, for me, is mainly the cost and how that relates to their "places", because that's where the conflict arises.
  12. #12  

    Default

    +1 for the Rooted Nook Color. I have one and it makes a great intermediate device between my laptop and my Droid X. I really would have no use forcthe tablet you described because it would be so big and heavy that I wouldn't want to use it as a tablet. Like you said that's your ideal tablet and I wish you good luck in finding it.
    Enjoy every day.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HKM View Post
    For one Mac is PC :P PC = Personal Computer, and guess what Mac is? I know you meant to say was x86 IBM comptable microcomputer. Going off topic yet? lol BTW I also remember using Rio (anyone remember those 64mb?) based mp3 player long before iPad was even ill conceived by Job (did't use Steve so yall get confused with WoZ/Other Steve and Job). lol sorry thats where I stop reading and go pooof as your post is simply way to long but that is the price you must pay for sharing your opinion as you stated, good luck guy whatever you buying.
    yes i had a rio got it for my sister was not bad!
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    Not to mention, I've been told and heard that typing much more than a few words on an IPAD is a real PITA. I was in the Verizon store this weekend and they have a docking station with a full keyboard for the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Right there your over $700 for both, which I can get a really nice mid range 17" dual core laptop with a solid ATI graphics card and 4GB ram for easily (I have an 18.4" Toshiba dual core with 4 GB ram and an ATI card that I paid $650 for a year ago).

    I'm with Vanlanjl, my cousin has an IPAD, it was cool to play with, but really didn't do anything but surf the web and/or read with it and its big enough that I had to pretty much sit with it propped in my lap on a pillow or something, so at that point, I might as well use my laptop, which has a way bigger screen and I can actually type on. I have had my Fascinate for a week and while Swype is nice for texting and IMs or short emails, if I'm going to actually type something, like this post, I'll do it on my computer, not a tablet or a giant version of my phone.

    However, if you are looking for a cheap tablet/reader and like to read and have your book library with you and still have the capability to use it like a tablet, the Barnes and Noble "Nook Color" is $250 and runs Android 2.2 and is a steal of a deal. FYI.
    well im thinking too since i got my new android phone Motorola Defy i can do soo much than just make a phone call like i used to do with my blackberry bold i mean i did surf the web but the screen was small and it was sloooow,

    people who has a big screen phone like a 4-4.3 in even me with my 3,7in why do i need a tablet for to have a bigger screen phone? does it do more than a decent touch screen android phone? maybe more memory ,
    ok its has a bigger screen .....if you watch a video,

    When i come home from work i jump on my laptop which is a Dell xps 15in compared to a 10 in screen,
    when i go to bed and i realized i forget to check something on my laptop well i can do that on my phone in the bed if its nothing serious,

    maybe i would use it in my bed because its lighter ....
    when im on the road and i need to check something like direction or some website i can do that on my phone ,i use it as a GPS, play music over bluetooth ,etc

    So when i get a tablet would i skip going on my laptop after work and just use the tablet , well maybe, because its lighter, but its a smaller screen so im not sure , an other thing when i try to edit pictures i need to go on my laptop i cant do that on my tablet... i cant insert a CD disc.

    Am i sitting in the starbucks and playing with my laptop no i dont so if i have a tablet would i do that no i wont because i dont have time for that.


    so for me its hard to find a reason to buy one, other than its a cool new thing.. do i really need one im not soo sure
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanCole View Post
    Full disclosure ... I have an iPad. But, it was a gift. I didn't buy it, but I do like it. And I have a laptop as well. Since I have both, I use each for what they were intended. For instance, if I'm sitting on my couch watching TV and want to browse the internet, I grab my iPad. If I'm working on a presentation for work, I grab my laptop.

    So, there's a place for tablets such as the iPad and Xoom., as there's a place for a laptop. The issue, for me, is mainly the cost and how that relates to their "places", because that's where the conflict arises.
    yes lets say 800$ for the xoom or 500$ for the ipad is it a luxury just to brows the web ? well it all depends if you can afford it
  16. #16  

    Default

    I've been going back and forth on the whole tablet thing, including whether or not to get an HP webOS tablet vs. a Xoom. I already have a nice relatively portable notebook (HP Envy 14) and a serviceable Tablet PC (Dell Latitude XT), so why would I want a tablet?

    I think the reasons for a tablet would include: great battery life (compared to either of my other relatively comparable machines), instant-on, and being optimized for touch. However, because as mentioned input is limited on this sort of tablet, its use would be limited to media consumption and very lightweight text input (e.g., maybe some Twitter posts and quick emails). And adding a keyboard to a tablet seems silly to me--doesn't doing so make it just a less conveniently portable notebook?

    So, is the ability to read ebooks, watch video, and do light Web surfing etc., a little more comfortably than on my Epic really worth the $500+ plus price? That's my quandary. While I'm a geek and love playing with new toys, and these are certainly the toys de jour, it seems difficult to justify. If one were released with the same benefits plus an active digitizer/pen so that I could take copious handwritten notes in meetings and such, then perhaps it would be more interesting.

    Ultimately, I might buy a wifi-only tablet if a decent one comes in at less than $500. But otherwise, I think I'll pass.
  17. #17  

    Default

    these are nice posts with respect to the actual functionality of tablets versus laptops/notebooks. Like others, I would love to have a tablet because I like gadgets, but hesitated and will continue to hold off on getting one because I just don't have any need for it. My work is heavy on word documents, so a laptop/notebook makes more sense.
  18. #18  
    Rhody's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

    Default

    I agree with the original post.

    I have been tempted to buy a HP Slate 500. It's almost everything I want. It has a digitizer pen, capacitive touch screen, WiFi, can run Office, USB, SD card slot, etc. If I could find confirmation that it runs Manga Studio well, then I would probably buy it.

    The problem with the HP Slate 500 is that it's Windows 7. Let's face it, Windows 7 is not a tablet operating system no matter how much tablet functionality they add to their desktop operating system. You pretty much HAVE TO use the pen. Alos, it's not instant-on like iOS, Android, or WebOS. The OS is bloated. I'm hoping Windows 8 addresses this problem. People expect an instant-on and touch-friendly OS these days.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Pretty much everyone here already has a tablet....it's your phone. That's what the iPad is, a large smartphone that doesn't call. But the apps take on a whole new life in tablet form.

    I do alot of personal investing research. Those apps sure do look and read alot more nicely on a 10" screen vs. a phone screen.

    Books....quite honestly I prefer to read a book on my Droid X over my iPad. There is so much lit screen surface on the iPad that I cannot read more than 30 minutes at a time on one. Note the Nook color is also backlit. Much easier on the eyes (for me) to read on a Kindle....love that thing.

    So yes I have an iPad....it is much more than a toy because many of the apps have real utility and the 10 inch screen is way better to use than a phone screen. No boot up time, no battery concerns, very portable....the thing rocks. I can't see myself getting the Xoom because iPad will do almost the same thing and I already have it. I understand that the Xoom will have a slightly better screen resolution since it appears we'll have to wait for iPad 3 to come along before screen resolution is increased.
  20. #20  
    Draiko#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default

    Stay tuned, the perfect device for you is almost here.

    The Motorola Atrix is the first step into the future of Home/Office computing. For lack of a better name, I've dubbed these Atrix-class devices "Multi-modal".

    One superphone with a few inexpensive docks that allow the phone to become a laptop/netbook, Desktop, Media Center, and Tablet.

    The Atrix is almost there but has four major problems...

    1. It's on AT&T. Bad quality of service and data caps.

    2. Desktop/Laptop UI needs a little more work

    3. iPad-style dock doesn't exist.

    4. Needs SDXC support for larger storage

    Once we have a device that conquers these limitations/weaknesses, I think we'll be able to kiss most traditional computing devices goodbye.
  21. #21  

    Default

    The way I see it is that if you have an Android phone, why would you get an Android tablet. You should get an iPad or any other tablet with similar hardware but different OS. People like/desire change so why buy 2 tablets that are the same on the inside. It's like going out with twins. They both have the same face body ect but each has their own personality so you don't get bored that fast. You want to buy something and say, "I wonder how this is going to be like." With regards to the original post, for the most part I agree. Why should we get a tablet when laptops are just as portable. But then ask yourself, how long does it take you to do something like going to the new york times website on a tablet as compared to a laptop. On a laptop you would have to turn it on if its off then wait for it to load then finally go to the website. On a tablet you turn on the screen and boom click on nyt bookmark. A laptop is definitely more of a sit down thing. this is all my opinion of course. Critic at will!
  22. #22  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragon0503 View Post
    The way I see it is that if you have an Android phone, why would you get an Android tablet. You should get an iPad or any other tablet with similar hardware but different OS. People like/desire change so why buy 2 tablets that are the same on the inside. It's like going out with twins. They both have the same face body ect but each has their own personality so you don't get bored that fast. You want to buy something and say, "I wonder how this is going to be like." With regards to the original post, for the most part I agree. Why should we get a tablet when laptops are just as portable. But then ask yourself, how long does it take you to do something like going to the new york times website on a tablet as compared to a laptop. On a laptop you would have to turn it on if its off then wait for it to load then finally go to the website. On a tablet you turn on the screen and boom click on nyt bookmark. A laptop is definitely more of a sit down thing. this is all my opinion of course. Critic at will!
    While I totally see your point, I think it might fail to address the fact that a lot of people like familiarity, myself included. If I'm familiar with the Android platform, it's apps, and how it runs, then an Android tablet allows me to get into that field with a little bit more ease. Granted, Honeycomb is a huge leap in the Android experience we're all used to, as well.

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  23. #23  

    Default

    I looked at the Ipad about two weeks ago and I really wanted one. I went into the Apple Store and began to ask questions. I told them that I wanted to use it for school (college) and asked what the functionality was. They told me that it could do everything that I needed for school. They said, however, that I would need to get a new printer that the Ipad can communicate with. I thought very hard about that. Then they mentioned that, oh yeah it doesn't play Flash. I walked a few minutes later. I went home looked online for a new laptop and settled on one with 4GB Ram, a 750GB hard drive and is an HP DV6. I paid the same price for the laptop as a low-end Ipad.
    I love new gadgets but cannot justify purchasing an Ipad or any other tablet over a laptop, just because the tablets are portable and cool. I hope one day to get a tablet that has the same functionality as a lap-top (even if it weighs the same as one). IMO*
  24. #24  

    Default

    Ios = games, graphic, media, hardware design, great apps, no update fragmentation. <<< so a bigger device with bigger screen would play nice with the IOS characteristics such playing games, reading book, etc.

    Android os = customization, great varity of hardwares from diver manufacturers, open platform, flash. <<<< those will be great in a phone such widgets, tethering, play flash, google acct syns constantly.

    So i want to have a best of both world an android phone and an ipad.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  25. #25  
    tjhop4292's Avatar

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default

    The original concept here, that tablets are giant expensive toys, is really the true idea here. They are near worthless unless used to show off/fit in or to simply have the newest and best toy.

    As much as I love technology and am fascinated by it (obviously right, on a site like this?), tablets have no REAL benefit to the end consumer. When i bought my phone (droid x back in the middle of august) i made sure that i was getting a top of the line phone, so that even when newer ones replace it, i would not be 'left behind'. My laptop was paid for by my college and is literally worth ~$8000 because its hardware is SO new and the amount of software on it.

    That being said, literally every computing need i have is more than capable of being handled on one or the other, and a tablet is just a cool way to lessen the gap between the two. It is a giant phone, and a (relatively) small, less powerful, touchscreen laptop.

    I will however commend apple for being the innovator and the marketing genius in this situation. their mobile division has 1 product, and thats the iphone. as popular as that is, obviously their sales would be boosted by the addition of another 'new' product. all they had to do was stamp the apple on it and advertise it, and apple makes millions, probably billions. and just as phone manufacturers did with touch screen phones, they recognize this as an opportunity to make money and suddenly decide they wanna play that game too. as cool as some of these concepts and tablets are (i personally think the xoom looks pretty cool), i do still believe that they are a waste of materials and are a niche product, being bought only by the idiots who buy into the superfluous craze, or the tech people like us who just want to own a piece of this technology history.

    you can bet that if someone came up to me tomorrow and handed me a xoom or ipad i would take it. but do i need it? not in the slightest. i would like to have it to work on my programming developments, and to play with. thats it. it wouldnt really serve much of a purpose to anyone who knows even a little bit about technology.

    ps. sorry for the long *** reply. just thought i would be fair and voice my honest opinion as well. peace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions