VZW Dual-Core w/Physical Keyboard

Girth

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Looked around the forum but I didn't really find anything that satisfied my question. I am going to be upgrading at the end of march and was wondering if there was going to be anything coming out with a physical keyboard a dual-core. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
There was a lot of talk about the HTC Merge a while back coming to Verizon, which had a slideout keyboard (although no word on it having Dual Core), but all Merge talk has basically stalled. As of now, I don't see anything coming that will have both a physical keyboard and dual core...I'm sure we'll see it eventually.

makav3ll1

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I Really dont think they will be making those for a while, possibly the droid 3 when that comes out, but other than that most phones are all touch.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
...possibly the droid 3 when that comes out...

^This. There really aren't that many full keyboard Androids on VZW (Droid/2, LG Ally, Motorola Devour, did I miss anything?), let alone show stoppers. Droid 3 will probably have dual core and LTE, that is if VZW offers any faith to the phone that got them started with Android.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I plan on upgrading end of March as well. I'm interested in seeing what will be in store for me by then :D! Or if I should be waiting longer for something better :D!

intrimazz

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I have the LG Ally and love the physical keyboard to death, but yesterday at a Superbowl party someone had the Samsung Fascinate & since it was family and close friends of friends, people were trusting enough that phones were being passed around for others to check out and out of all the phones in the room (25 people and everyone had a phone - the only duplicates were the 4 fanboys that had the iPhone 4) the Fascinate has the most responsive, easy-to-use Virtual QWERTY using Swype. I was very impressed!

And yes 19 phones were Android OS :p, one was WebOS (Palm Pre Plus) and 4 iPhones.

I am looking forward to seeing the LG Revolution and am curious about the iPhone 5 coming out this summer.

Last edited:

Girth

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I was looking here and saw the rumors of the Droid 3 possibly being announced at MWC I would wait for it if the specs are good. If not I would just like a phone with a physical keyboard and the ability to run custom roms.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
^This. There really aren't that many full keyboard Androids on VZW (Droid/2, LG Ally, Motorola Devour, did I miss anything?), let alone show stoppers. Droid 3 will probably have dual core and LTE, that is if VZW offers any faith to the phone that got them started with Android.

I haven't looked that closely, but isn't the Droid Pro a full keyboard? Just in a portrait format?

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat here. I currently have the original Droid running 2.2 and most of the time, the phone runs well enough except when I need it most. Sometimes, it just seems sluggish to get up and go. As such, I'm looking for a new phone with a physical keyboard. It doesn't have to be dual-core. Someone had mentioned the HTC Merge and I saw Phil's hands-on review which got me excited about that phone but it has been quiet.
Verizon has been very good to me and their service has been very reliable where I live, so I would like to stay with them. Although, If they aren't getting any decent qwerty-slide-out phones than I might jump to T-mobile for the HTC G2.

gambit07

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat here. I currently have the original Droid running 2.2 and most of the time, the phone runs well enough except when I need it most. Sometimes, it just seems sluggish to get up and go. As such, I'm looking for a new phone with a physical keyboard. It doesn't have to be dual-core. Someone had mentioned the HTC Merge and I saw Phil's hands-on review which got me excited about that phone but it has been quiet.
Verizon has been very good to me and their service has been very reliable where I live, so I would like to stay with them. Although, If they aren't getting any decent qwerty-slide-out phones than I might jump to T-mobile for the HTC G2.

First off if you're not afraid of running a custom rom I would load Peter Alfonsos stock Gingerbread rom. Peter Alfonso
Gingerbread runs much better on the droid than Froyo as far as I'm concerned. You may have to tweak it a bit though as I have done. Second the Droid 3 should be coming out in Q2 or Q3 and it's supposed to have a dual core chipset. There's also been rumors of an HTC slider Verizon?s 4-Inch Dual-Mode CDMA/GSM HTC Slider Takes on the FCC | Android Phone Fans but I haven't heard anything about it for awhile, hope it comes out soon though! Anyway hope that helps.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's the mysterious Merge. :p
Mysterious? I'd say more like flaky. ;)

Every time you think it's going to get announced, something else comes up. It even has all the regular leaks coming out, just a reminder that it is still interested in hanging out. Reminds me of one of my roommates.