New CAT phone with FLIR

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone heard about this upcoming phone from CAT?

CAT S60 is the first Android phone with built-in thermal camera, can withstand drops of nearly 2 meters | 9to5Google

The thermal imaging camera sounds cool, but I'm interested in the durability. I'm getting tired of phone's being made thin and fragile, and so light that a stiff breeze could blow it out of my hand. The only thing that's kept me from looking at "rugged" phones is they all seem to sacrifice a lot of performance. This one sounds doable with 3GB ram and 32GB internal storage. My concern with performance is how well the Snapdragon 617 will preform. Granted it's running a smaller 720p display, so I'll have to see. My other concerns are if it'll have SD card support and a removable battery. Being water proof to 5M, I wouldn't be surprised if it lacked those. If not, it's an instant deal breaker for me.

Having a thermal camera, this begs the question: Would images from those be acceptable in the AC photo contests? :sly:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I was sitting too far from my monitor... when I read the title of this post, I thought it said.... "New Cat phone with FUR"

HushH

May 11, 2011
Visit site
This phone has actually caught my interest as well. I'm definitely looking for something more rugged and can think of several practical applications for the FLIR camera. My biggest concern is the pocketability of such a phone as it looks pretty thick. It also might be difficult to go back to a 4.7 screen after using a 5.5+ for so long

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The phone and specs look interesting, but I don't have a use for FLIR imaging right now. Neat looking phone though!

This however is the most interesting claim to me on that page...
Drop proof to 1.8m, MIL Spec 810G
Drop proof? Hahahahahhahahaha!!!! :D

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I also could use this phone in the process industry where i work as it is MIL spec and is than certified intrinsically safe. The 5m waterproof is also catching my eye. Flir on my phone would just make my life so much easier, if the plant will certify it that is..... Wish they would release this sooner.

Posted via the Android Central App

4given_p8ntblr

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
That almost looks like a Casio G'zOne type of a phone, and I'd be all over that, and I'm sure I could find some neat uses of the thermal imaging.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't verified this yet, but I was listening to a podcast the other day that said there's a ban on importing FLIR cameras into the U.S. And only one U.S. manufacturer state side. So this phone may not make it over here if that's true.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I am absolutely thrilled over their feature phones, they're a true throwback to the golden MOTOROLA age before they went lazy and changed it to just "MOTO" (how stupid and pointless was that?).

Ahem, and yes, I look forward to something like this, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781