Did I spot a 2016 Moto X prototype?

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I think , but am not sure, that I spotted a Moto prototype device last week.

Location: I live in Chicago, working about a half mile north of Moto's headquarters and living in an area west of downtown which is reasonably popular with young tech types.

A certain sense of curiosity makes me just glance at what phones people around me are using, especially if it's a device that I can't recognize at first glance. I was taking the bus from work to home one day last week in mid/late afternoon. The route I was on has/used to have a Motorola facility (that didn't have a lot of branding, but did have banners visible in their entry way), and again, was on a route that a Moto employee might use to either get to that facility or from Moto HQ home.

This device was very eye catching, though I didn't want to stare. What I first noticed were long, flat speaker grilles that started at the very top/bottom of the device - no bezel whatsoever above or below. The device had a dark back, and from the edge looked very thin. When the guy was using it in his hand, it became clear that it had a tapered back, just like the Moto X always has, but the edges of this device looked significantly thinner than any Moto device I've actually seen. I didn't get a good look at the camera part on the back, but it didn't seem to be in a raised circle like the Moto Z

At this point, the guy seemed to kind of notice me glancing at his phone so I stopped looking, but I did notice: 1) What looked like a small 'M' logo etched in the glass top left of the phone, and 2) what looked like a series of numbers/letters (maybe 6 long?) etched into the glass elsewhere.

I had a 1st gen Moto X (but never as my daily driver), so I'm familiar with that device (and a Moto G I used for a short while), and this phone looked like it wasn't that much larger but was much thinner at the sides. If I had to guess, I'd say a 5- to 5.2 inch screen, again, curved at the sides (unlike the Moto Z), with no camera 'island.'

It wasn't until after getting off the bus that the pieces clicked in my head - this device looked premium, it was definitely smaller than the near-phablet that the Moto X has become, and way thinner; it definitely had a Moto logo etched into the screen, and that suggested to me that it might be a prototype. I looked up images of Moto's past few years of phones, and none have that. So, I'm wondering: Could I have spotted a new Moto X? If so, it's actually a device that I'd be interested in buying (I've liked the X's design but since the original, it's felt too big and bulky).

Thoughts?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The M logo you describe sounds like all the Motorola prototypes.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
At this point, the guy seemed to kind of notice me glancing at his phone so I stopped looking, but I did notice: 1) What looked like a small 'M' logo etched in the glass top left of the phone, and 2) what looked like a series of numbers/letters (maybe 6 long?) etched into the glass elsewhere.

Did he notice you because he felt you breathing on him? My only thought is, Why didn't you just ask him about the phone?

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was a few seats away. I totally wish I had asked him about it, but 1) the guy seemed kinda weirded out and 2) I don't expect to find myself staring at an unreleased phone prototype on a bus. By the time that I pieced it together, the window had kinda closed (and the guy got off the bus without being on there too long).

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That's what I figured. Well, I will say this. I just bought a OnePlus 3, but if this phone is half as good as it looks, I'd be sorely tempted. (No offence to your choice of phones, but for me, the Moto X line has always had a 'fatal flaw' that kept me from buying after the first one; mostly, that they were just too big for my tastes - the OP3 weighs 20 grams less, and it really is at the top end of what I'd want).

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
That's what I figured. Well, I will say this. I just bought a OnePlus 3, but if this phone is half as good as it looks, I'd be sorely tempted. (No offence to your choice of phones, but for me, the Moto X line has always had a 'fatal flaw' that kept me from buying after the first one; mostly, that they were just too big for my tastes - the OP3 weighs 20 grams less, and it really is at the top end of what I'd want).

I'm looking at the opo 3 and I don't like giant phones either. Being of that mindset yourself, how is the the day to day use ? Looks to be a bit more narrow than other 5.5's. Let me know your thoughts. I may wait for the smaller nexus or even the iPhone 7. I just like a more manageable handset.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If it is when will they launch it, it be kinda dumb to launch 2 different lines of phones with in the last few months of the year. I mean the z is released for verizon but i hear unlocked will be released in September.. so if i had to guess id think some time in q1 of next year , idk..

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they are going to do a two phones a year cycle? Z in second half, x in the first. Or maybe they are switching to a once a year cycle. X one year, z the next.

Posted via the Android Central App