Kodak Ektra smartphone

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Just wondering why no one has been talking about the new/just announced Kodak Ektra smartphone/camera.. Prob the same reason I'm not saying to much about it.. It's been reported via (WiredUK) that the new Kodak smartphone/camera is suppose to retail for $550.00.. In my opinion and I've sent this comment to Kodak among others..

Perhaps Kodak is hoping everyone will over look the cost of the device and droll over the leather carry case.. The only reason I mention this, is after all it does come with Android 6.0. So now I'm wondering if Android Central will create a Kodak Forum..

Source: https://www.dpreview.com/news/76439...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Last edited:

Bertie Bear

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, looks interesting. I mentioned it yesterday in the BlackBerry Android forum as its apparently competing at the same price region as the Dtek60 (£449).
And the main cameras on both are 21mp.
But I read that it will only be available initially in the UK & Europe.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Just spoke to a Kodak Spokesmans who confirmed that the smartphone/camera would only be available in Europe as you've suggested.. Sadly, I've watched Kodak's downfall since the late 70's and I'm very disappointed in how they treat their customers. With no new advancements in photographic technologies, that use to surprises other major companies.. Today, Kodak is simply existing without any sort of merit. I would avoid companies such as Kodak that simply rest on their heels allowing other companies to pull away.

rochdaker

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Just spoke to a Kodak Spokesmans who confirmed that the smartphone/camera would only be available in Europe as you've suggested.. Sadly, I've watched Kodak's downfall since the late 70's and I'm very disappointed in how they treat their customers. With no new advancements in photographic technologies, that use to surprises other major companies.. Today, Kodak is simply existing without any sort of merit. I would avoid companies such as Kodak that simply rest on their heels allowing other companies to pull away.

Kodak sold off their digital camera technology to others who now use the Kodak name... it's not really a Kodak camera, basically the only thing Kodak still makes is Motion Picture film. Kodak was way ahead of their time as digital was emerging, but they rested on their Laurels too long and they will never be what they once were

offsidebowler

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
I like the back of it, very retro looking. Maybe photographers could find a use for this if the camera's good enough because it'd stop them carrying two devices when hiking or whatever.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just received my ektra. Very impressed so far. Camera rocks and software smooth

What's your verdict after ten months use? Did the new firmware shore up the camera?

Curious to know as I'm considering this heavily right now. Very attractive prices are available on the North American variant.

michaelkriss

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I ordered this phone this afternoon and came here to see if anyone was talking about it. Reviews are not too kind, but I always found it interesting. Best Buy has a pretty good deal on it at the moment. The phone is $99 but if you buy a Cricket SIM kit and service card they take $50 off the total. So total was about $92 for the phone, SIM kit and $40 service, making the phone right around $50.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks @michaelkriss but I got the message too late (I go to bed early as I start very early at work).

It's back to $399. I would have jumped all over it for $99.

Let me know how you like it. Be sure to get the firmware update.

michaelkriss

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
it looks like that phone is back on sale at Best Buy for $99. I believe they're still doing the Cricket service card if you buy a SIM card. Sorry I never came back and gave him pressions of the phone, camera is pretty good especially for what ends up being about a $50 phone. Build quality is okay. Kind of sharp edges so it's not comfortable to hold. battery life can generally last me a day, I use my phone quite a bit for work and I'm in buildings where I have poor service that drops it down quick. I've switched to it a couple times on the weekends but I always switch back to my main phone during the week.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure, there's no problem to post in an old thread. But this is the Rumored Devices Lounge, so if you're having issues, it's best to create a new thread about those issues in the General Help or Ask A Question forums for better visibility (since we don't have a dedicated subforum for Kodak).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21