Galaxy S8 Edge to improve battery life (the S7 Edge is pretty good by the way)

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've been using the S7 Edge for 6 months or so and the battery life is pretty good and gets me through a day. However, I also have an iPhone 6s plus and the battery life is better with about a day and half of usage.

I've read that the S8 is going to a 4k screen. That doesn't sound like it'll be great for battery life. Any thoughts on this? The battery life is the main advantage I've seen of the iPhone Plus series. The S7 Edge is a great phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
4k will definitely be a battery drainer. But from what I understand, you'll be able to default down to QHD as well as 1080p. My only desire for 4k is next gen VR. Otherwise, I won't use it.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes indeed, I'm looking forward to the S8, with the screen, they say you can control the screen density to save battery, so you would put it on 4k to play VR, or view pics, otherwise wind it back to a more conservative setting... Sounds like Nougat has some other great battery saving functions like Doze but on the move, so the device will sleep in your pocket while you are moving around... Exciting stuff! :)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You were able to control it on the Note7 as well. I think 1080 is likely plenty fine for most things. I don't need 4k. Isn't QHD already more pixel density than your eye can distinguish anyway? It's like the old megapixel wars with DSLRs. More MUST be better.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used VR but I think the need for higher resolution is linked to the VR experience. If the phone can be run at lower resolution to save battery most of the time then change to higher resolution when needed for VR for example then I'd be all for it

thunderbomb

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I also read that they are doing away with the edge and staying with a flat screen. Two screen sizes 5.7" and 6.2". Don't know if it's true. I do miss my S6 edge plus.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
From what I've heard, if the S8 does come with a UHD display, the full 3840x2160 resolution may only be kicked in during VR applications. Under normal use, it goes down to QHD or FHD/HD depending on the user's preference.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't mind a 4K display. But would like a setting to let me downgrade it to 2K for everyday use and save battery. Oh and i don't mind having a little thicker phone if comes with say a 4000 mAh battery.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
And to comment on the other half of the thread title, I think the s7e battery sucks and I can't wait to get rid of this phone. My N7 with its battery life and software experience way by far the best phone I've ever had. My s7e is almost mediocre in comparison in most respects.

m1racle

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
4K on a phone is so unnecessary. The OnePlus 3T has like double the resolution of the 1080P 3 and you can barely tell the difference. Give me increased battery life all day long.

Starr Almighty

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I dont see the benefits in a 4k screen myself on a phone, but they need to continue to add new features to continue to sell devices. Perhaps theyll add a bigger battery than the S7 Edge or power tweaks

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You know I think I've heard better batter life year after year.

But I don't seem to see the batteries really lasting that much longer.

What I see if the price going up.
And we seem to get small advancement every year.

WAsn't Nougat suppose to have come out last year.
Were still waiting on that.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
4K screens on a phone seem completely unnecessary, outside of VR. I think 4K might be a nice option, though unnecessary, as long as you could switch as low as 1080p for battery longevity. What's the downside to that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez