Running out of cool names

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Android manufacturers are facing another problem...running out of cool names to call their phones.

The problem is highlighted when Samsung originally planned to call their 4G LTE Android phone with Verizon, the Inspiration.

Then suddenly HTC came out in public and called their HSPA+ Android phone with AT&T the Inspire.

Then said Samsung phone went around unnamed then resurfaced with names like Stealth and finally settling down to...Droid Charge.

And then, things got legal. Samsung files a complaint. HTC throws back.

HTC seeks declatory judgment against Samsung

Something tells me, there will be more sticky things to come as makers and carriers hunt on a limited resource of "awesome" names.

Looking at all the names being thrown right now, I see names that can easily fit one brand or the other. Names like Sensation which apparently HTC got, and Revolution which LG scored. Not hard to see how names like Infuse, Indulge can sound both LGish, Sammish or HTCish.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Stupid. There are tons of names they can come up with. Or just start going by version numbers. I'll take the Verizon 4GLTE Phone 2.3 thx!

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Android manufacturers are facing another problem...running out of cool names to call their phones.

The problem is highlighted when Samsung originally planned to call their 4G LTE Android phone with Verizon, the Inspiration.

Then suddenly HTC came out in public and called their HSPA+ Android phone with AT&T the Inspire.

Then said Samsung phone went around unnamed then resurfaced with names like Stealth and finally settling down to...Droid Charge.

And then, things got legal. Samsung files a complaint. HTC throws back.

HTC seeks declatory judgment against Samsung

Something tells me, there will be more sticky things to come as makers and carriers hunt on a limited resource of "awesome" names.

Looking at all the names being thrown right now, I see names that can easily fit one brand or the other. Names like Sensation which apparently HTC got, and Revolution which LG scored. Not hard to see how names like Infuse, Indulge can sound both LGish, Sammish or HTCish.

Verizon named that, they licensed the Droid name from Lucas arts. So the tack it on to everything even bluetooth headsets.
Same reason the Mecha is called the Thunderbolt, VZW wanted to name it that because 4G LTE is lightning fast an by naming it that it will be hard to forget the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey