The next Nexus

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Must speculation at this point, but a dual core one is inevitable.

Two questions arise.

First, to pick the chipset.

Second, to pick the manufacturer.

The first answer can decide the first.

When Google picked the Snapdragon for the Nexus One, its a little strange because the Snapdragon's core, the Scorpion isn't really a bonafide ARM Cortex A8 core. In PC terms, that's like choosing AMD instead of Intel. Might be a surprise to some, the Scorpion is actually slightly faster than the A8 in computational tasks, and you may see this when the Nexus One nips past the Nexus S in non graphical benchmarks.

Generally, Google's developer or flagship phones have been consistent using a true ARM core. The Droid had a Cortex A8 core courtesy of Texas Instruments OMAP 3630. Then jump to the Nexus S, we see Google return again to the Cortex A8, this time courtesy of the Samsung Hummingbird.

Now to the dual cores. This time, ARM reverses again. This time, the A9 core is faster than the Scorpion cores. That means in the same clock speed, with non graphical computational tasks, an A9 Cortex dual core will nip past a dual core Snapdragon with the same clock speed. I won't be surprised to see HTC Pyramid Quadrant scores to be on the low side against Tegra 2, OMAP4400 or Exynos benchmark and that 1.2GHz bump is necessary to even things up with the 1GHz A9 chip.

In any case, Google on Honeycomb went with the Tegra2, which means its coded for the A9 core first. Take a little while to get Honeycomb on the dual core Snapdragon.

Next is the GPU.

This is the tricky part. You got multiple parties with GPUs, like PowerSGX, Adreno, and now nVidia. I

OMAP 4400 - A9 PowerSGX540
Snapdragon 8660 - Scorpion Adreno 220
Tegra2 - A9 nVidia

f you develop your OS first on one, the other party gets slighted. But if you ask the original ARM, its called the MALI. The latest is the MALI 400MP and T604.

Mali-400 MP - ARM

I suppose if I were Google, I want to be as vendor neutral as possible, and I should support ARM in its purest. That means an A9 for the computational core and a MALI for its GPU.

Once you decide on that, it points to whoever makes such a chip and that manufacturer.

And that seems to be the Samsung Exynos chip. With Cortex A9 dual cores with the MALI 400MP GPU.

Oh now, our focus is narrowing. Given the chip, it points to Samsung. I won't be surprised to see the next Nexus being a Samsung too, one with identical specs to the Galaxy SII with the Exynos (there is another Galaxy SII with the Tegra2).

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the evo 3D WAS A BIG LET DOWN, I was expwcting for.from hic, so I think its going to be sammy to

Moto lost their way

But lg?

Perhaps a apple nexus or a RIM nexus?
Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
If Google wants a Nexus with a Tegra2, the Optimus 2X is already prebuilt and ready. Look what the G2X got.

Vanilla Android interface.

Both ready 850 AT&T and 1700 T-Mobile bands.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll say this, I don't think we'll see another new Nexus phone until late Fall - unless Samsung is allowed to role one out under the Nexus S moniker (Nexus S^2 or something) this summer (which is probably likely).

The Nexus tag is supposed to be desirable for manufacturers, and that means they can't stack them up too close or else there's no real exclusivity to them. Since we know there are 4G Nexus S variants coming out this spring (and possibly summer) there will not be another Nexus phone until after that release window (tablets are a different issue altogether...look for that this Spring, probably announced and given away at IO).

Since LG seems to be getting a crack at being the next Nexus recipient, I'll predict that we see LG put out the next Nexus, that it will have a second generation dual core chipset (i.e. Tegra 3), that it will be the debut device for Ice Cream ______, and it will arrive in November or December.

That's not to say we might not see a Nexus S branded DC phone this summer, but I'm not sure if I'd call it the "next Nexus" since it will continue the branding of the current Nexus.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
i agree LG will probably be the next in line for the Nexus moniker.

a Nexus tablet would be sick!!! where do you think Google will go for that?? Acer? Dell? Moto?