LG V30 Leaks and Rumors

Should the next LG V30 feature a removable battery?

• Total voters

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: If the V30 loses its Headphone Jack, will you still buy it?

I'm idly wondering how many people listen wired while charging now. The wire, of course, means you can only sit by the charger. That seems pretty inconvenient. But in any event, I'm sure it will disrupt someone, so I guess those folks will care.

Good answer though--I can't see it affecting me much. About the only time it might affect me is if I'm on a plane charging with an ext. batt pack and trying to listen at the same time. Even then, I'm usually going to bring my bluetooth noise canceling headphones. If I'm charging while listening, it's almost always over bluetooth.
I do it while driving on long road trips sometimes, but otherwise, I don't do that at all.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

For sure! I love the Moto Z series but its lack of headphone jack is sad.
The Z Play has one.

The Play is arguably the best version of the Z you can get if you really don't care about specs and you aren't on Verizon.

Day-to-day performance is very good and as a great bonus, you get absolutely insane battery life. 2 days of use with 10 hours of on-screen time with moderate usage is pretty easy to achieve.

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Re: Poll: LG V30 removable battery or not?

How would that be very smart? That's a cash sink with no return in sight.
LG already has the manufacturing capability to make the V20. Making a scaled up version of the same thing wouldn't be all that hard. They're also already making the G6. Making a scaled up version of the same thing wouldn't be all that hard either. Phone OEM's have been shipping multiple versions of the same phone for ages now and LG is certainly no exception. (LG G6 has three versions.) LG has been losing market share for years now. They need to reverse the trend. The key issue: What does LG do that makes their phone really stand out? Well look what ASUS did last year for a pricepoint of $799 while still managing to turn a solid profit. The dirty little secret is that RAM and internal storage aren't really all that expensive. Apple has been making a killing by offering phones with massive internal storage upgrades with a price markup of several hundred dollars. It costs them next to nothing and nets them pure profit. But that's not the game LG needs to play this year. They need to make a compelling case that theirs is the undisputed best phone of the year so they can seize and ultimately retain a larger chunk of the global market share.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

They already release two versions of the same phone. One G, one V.

Our hope is that the V remains unique and keeps its perks.

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

How would that be very smart? That's a cash sink with no return in sight.
To make it even more simple, I'm looking to replace my ancient SGS5. LG G6 and SGS8 both look too weak on specs. I'm not interested in waiting till the end of the year to see what the next Google Pixel looks like. That leaves the Note 8, the V30 and an unlikely outside shot for the HTC Ocean/11/whatever. If the V30 offers the best specs, that's my next phone. If it's equal-equal with the Note 8 and LG V30 (and HTC flops as usual) then I'm going with the Note 8 for the added stylus functionality.

I don't think I'm alone here. Given the choice between the V30 and Note 8, most will go Note 8 unless they see a compelling reason to buy the V30 instead. If the V30 comes with 256GB internal and the Note comes with only 64GB or 128GB and the price is about the same, the V30 wins.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The Z Play has one.

The Play is arguably the best version of the Z you can get if you really don't care about specs and you aren't on Verizon.

Day-to-day performance is very good and as a great bonus, you get absolutely insane battery life. 2 days of use with 10 hours of on-screen time with moderate usage is pretty easy to achieve.

Thank you for clarifying! I was curious if the Play had one or not - I knew the Z flagship doesn't - so thanks for that! I'd actually grab the Play over the Force if given the choice! And that sounds like a great battery experience to boot!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

To make it even more simple, I'm looking to replace my ancient SGS5. LG G6 and SGS8 both look too weak on specs. I'm not interested in waiting till the end of the year to see what the next Google Pixel looks like. That leaves the Note 8, the V30 and an unlikely outside shot for the HTC Ocean/11/whatever. If the V30 offers the best specs, that's my next phone. If it's equal-equal with the Note 8 and LG V30 (and HTC flops as usual) then I'm going with the Note 8 for the added stylus functionality.

I don't think I'm alone here. Given the choice between the V30 and Note 8, most will go Note 8 unless they see a compelling reason to buy the V30 instead. If the V30 comes with 256GB internal and the Note comes with only 64GB or 128GB and the price is about the same, the V30 wins.
That all makes sense, but if LG attempts that, they're going to lose boatloads of cash because over 90% of the market will ignore them despite the specs.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

No matter what LG offers Samsung will sell more phones. Most of the public only recognize Samsung and Apple. For them it is one or the other.

The V20 is the best phone I have ever owned by far yet Best Buy doesn't even carry it! This despite the s7 they still sell is ancient in tech terms.

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

That all makes sense, but if LG attempts that, they're going to lose boatloads of cash because over 90% of the market will ignore them despite the specs.
If you want to walk soar among the eagles then you've got to make some bold moves. LG rarely makes bold moves. That's why their market share has been shrinking. It goes without saying that Samsung's name recognition will keep them miles in the lead. That's not the point. The point is to begin to make the case for LG being the better phone. Last year, I had the same decision in front of me: Note 7 or LG V20. The V20 offered no compelling reason to convince me that it was any better than the Note 7. Same specs, no waterproofing, no stylus. Note 7 won easily.

Thankfully I got bogged down in the process of ordering it and I didn't actually get my Note 7. Didn't have to deal with the whole recall mess. Decided to wait a year and see instead. So here we are. It's a brand new year. LG has yet another chance to impress me. All they gotta do is beat the Note 8 and they can steal away somebody who's never owned anything but Samsung smartphones. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm not alone.

And like I said, the dirty little secret in the smartphone industry is that RAM and internal storage are actually pretty cheap. If LG just spends a little extra coin per phone, they stand to start moving the market share needle in the positive direction and significantly improve their reputation.

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

They already release two versions of the same phone. One G, one V.

Our hope is that the V remains unique and keeps its perks.
There are three versions of the LG G6. They S Korea version, the USA version and the everyone else version. The make dozens of sub-flagship models as well. Making two significantly different versions of the V30 wouldn't be that difficult and it would allow them to appeal to two different user bases.
1.) The folks that want a removable battery.
2.) The folks that want better waterproofing, wireless charging and don't care about the removable battery -- most of whom are not currently buying LG phones.

Choosing to appeal to only one of those two groups seems foolish IMHO. There's no rule against making two versions of the same phone, one targeting each group.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

There are three versions of the LG G6. The S Korea version, the USA version and the everyone else version. The make dozens of sub-flagship models as well. Making two significantly different versions of the V30 wouldn't be that difficult and it would allow them to appeal to two different user bases.
1.) The folks that want a removable battery.
2.) The folks that want better waterproofing, wireless charging and don't care about the removable battery -- most of whom are not currently buying LG phones.

Choosing to appeal to only one of those two groups seems foolish IMHO.
Thanks for the missing the point. Regional differences aside, the G6 and the future V30, like the G5 and the V20, and like, to some extent, the G4 and V10, are essentially all the same phone marketed to two different crowds.

Making a V30 with the bells and whistles that we've come to love, plus another version for the mainstream doesn't make sense because LG already made that mainstream phone and they named it the G6.

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for the missing the point. Regional differences aside, the G6 and the future V30, like the G5 and the V20, and like, to some extent, the G4 and V10, are essentially all the same phone marketed to two different crowds.

Making a V30 with the bells and whistles that we've come to love, plus another version for the mainstream doesn't make sense because LG already made that mainstream phone and they named it the G6.
I think we all know that when push comes to shove, LG is going to take the worse-than-expected sales of the V20 as a sign that marketing to folks who want IR blasters and removable batteries isn't improving their fortunes. They'll do what Samsung did and ditch these things in order to be more "iPhone-like" and therefore more marketable. So if there is only one version of the V20, it's going to look a whole lot like the G6, sealed case and all. Personally, I think it's worth their while to make two versions of the V20 and continue catering to both consumer groups. But you are likely 100% right. The removable battery phones from LG are dead and gone starting now.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

That's a neat concept.
I just love it. The idea of getting the second screen at the bottom and have it serve different functions depending on the apps you're using is brilliant. But it probably wont happen and my V20 will be safe for another year.lol

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site

I just love it. The idea of getting the second screen at the bottom and have it serve different functions depending on the apps you're using is brilliant. But it probably wont happen and my V20 will be safe for another year.lol
Kinda like new mac pro touch bar.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I think having second screen at the bottom would be more in the way than would be useful for me. Top bar is a bit out of reach at times but I don't accidentally hit it either.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

I think having second screen at the bottom would be more in the way than would be useful for me. Top bar is a bit out of reach at times but I don't accidentally hit it either.
Yes I completely understand that but that would be the magic in making it work. Just imagine if they could pull that off and it worked 100%. That would be just an amazing stand out feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38