Verizon dual-cores and others to come?

cowkong#AC

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
So my family just decided we're switching to Big Red and I'm long overdue for a new phone and I want to pick a good one. I'm pretty much decided on the Samsung Galaxy S2, and I'm fairly certain it's coming to all major US carriers soonish. Does anybody know when it's coming? If there's any other dual core phones, like the Bionic for example, that you think would be a better choice, tell me, and tell me why.

Balthazar B

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't know about "soonish" for the GS2, unless you're extraordinarily patient. Although it would be wise for VzW to release earlier, I suspect it won't appear there before September. The revamped Bionic may show up in June, but my hunch is July. Now the Bionic will be an LTE phone, and logically the GS2 should be as well. There'll be other dual-core VzW 3G phones coming, including the DroidX2 and LG Revolution before too much longer. One of those might work for you, depending on your location and how soon you'll have LTE available.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Droid X2 is likely to be a Tegra 2, but that isn't known for sure yet. It will definitely not be LTE though. The specs of the revised Bionic have yet to be released, but it will definitely be dual-core LTE. It will almost certainly have 1gig of RAM, and will have either a Tegra 2 or TI OMAP4 SoC. Both are powerful dual cores, though the TI is a little newer and better. The LG Revolution is LTE but is NOT dual-core, unless LG decides at the last minute to swap it out for the Optimus 2x. That's unlikely, however, as it apparently takes awhile to design an LTE device at this point in time. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will not be outclassed by anything this year, and may very well be the most powerful device of the year and sometime into next year, until we see Cortex-A15 phones coming out.

The Galaxy S2 has not yet been officially announced for VZW, though rest-assured it is coming. Hard to see when it will fit into their market strategy, however, considering they're just now launching the Charge. They wouldn't want to release another LTE Samsung right away and kill Charge sales, yet it wouldn't make sense to release a device this powerful and not have LTE capability built in. While I would love to see an LTE GS2 in June, that is highly unlikely. The most realistic scenarios are either an early fall launch for an LTE GS2, or a late summer launch for a 3g version, followed by an LTE version this December or the beginning of 2012.

Still, if you're considering VZW and have LTE in your area, you'll love the speed. I don't know how I feel about some of their changing policies, but if you lock yourself into an unlimited LTE plan now you should have nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'd be happy with a Charge now, though you could wait a bit to see how things play out regarding the Bionic, the end of unlimited data, and anything official about a GS2.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
Im patiently waiting on Verizon for a dual core option too, Moto Bionic is coming out and will be a great phone however if rooting is in interest of yours this phone is a bust due to the locked bootloader Moto insists on using, The Charge has an Awesome screen and camera if recent reviews are too be believed however I have seen a couple of reviews report back some sluggishness which isn't very exciting for a new phone, its going to be a few months before the Galaxy S 2 drops because you know Verizon is going to want people to pick up the charge. So if unlocked future proof dual core awesomeness is what you want join the rest of us waiting for the Galaxy S 2!!!!!!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Im patiently waiting on Verizon for a dual core option too, Moto Bionic is coming out and will be a great phone however if rooting is in interest of yours this phone is a bust due to the locked bootloader Moto insists on using, The Charge has an Awesome screen and camera if recent reviews are too be believed however I have seen a couple of reviews report back some sluggishness which isn't very exciting for a new phone, its going to be a few months before the Galaxy S 2 drops because you know Verizon is going to want people to pick up the charge. So if unlocked future proof dual core awesomeness is what you want join the rest of us waiting for the Galaxy S 2!!!!!!

You don't know this for sure about the bionic since moto said they are going to unlock more of their devices and this could be one of the changes they talked about making with the bionic which is why it got pushed back.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Droid X2 is likely to be a Tegra 2, but that isn't known for sure yet. It will definitely not be LTE though. The specs of the revised Bionic have yet to be released, but it will definitely be dual-core LTE. It will almost certainly have 1gig of RAM, and will have either a Tegra 2 or TI OMAP4 SoC. Both are powerful dual cores, though the TI is a little newer and better. The LG Revolution is LTE but is NOT dual-core, unless LG decides at the last minute to swap it out for the Optimus 2x. That's unlikely, however, as it apparently takes awhile to design an LTE device at this point in time. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will not be outclassed by anything this year, and may very well be the most powerful device of the year and sometime into next year, until we see Cortex-A15 phones coming out.

The Galaxy S2 has not yet been officially announced for VZW, though rest-assured it is coming. Hard to see when it will fit into their market strategy, however, considering they're just now launching the Charge. They wouldn't want to release another LTE Samsung right away and kill Charge sales, yet it wouldn't make sense to release a device this powerful and not have LTE capability built in. While I would love to see an LTE GS2 in June, that is highly unlikely. The most realistic scenarios are either an early fall launch for an LTE GS2, or a late summer launch for a 3g version, followed by an LTE version this December or the beginning of 2012.

Still, if you're considering VZW and have LTE in your area, you'll love the speed. I don't know how I feel about some of their changing policies, but if you lock yourself into an unlimited LTE plan now you should have nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'd be happy with a Charge now, though you could wait a bit to see how things play out regarding the Bionic, the end of unlimited data, and anything official about a GS2.

The GS2 as we know it will never house an LTE radio. It is possible Verizon could get a repackaged version with LTE, but it will look nothing like the GS2.

Balthazar B

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
You don't know this for sure about the bionic since moto said they are going to unlock more of their devices and this could be one of the changes they talked about making with the bionic which is why it got pushed back.

Wishful thinking (on a VzW phone, anyway). What Moto said was that they'd provide unlocked bootloaders when the carrier approved of such. And if you think Verizon will do so, I have a bridge to sell you.

mrblahblah

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Can we all get unlimited data plan right now or is it only available for LTE phones?

I have been out of contract for almost 2 years and really want the Samsung Charge, but when I found out about the Galaxy 2 coming out I don't mind waiting for it. Now my only concern is about the unlimited data plan, might be gone by the time the Galaxy 2 becomes available.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I suspect they have not worked out the kinks between dual core and LTE yet, particularly on the issue of battery usage. This explains three things simultaneously:

Why all the LTE phones so far are single core.

Why dual core, LTE phones, like Droid Bionic is delayed.

Why the Xoom has its LTE support delayed.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
LTE definitely is nice, but has its kinks. My only issue is with the poor battery life on my Thunderbolt, it is much better with 3G, especially with battery drain while the phone is in sleep mode.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I suspect they have not worked out the kinks between dual core and LTE yet, particularly on the issue of battery usage. This explains three things simultaneously:

Why all the LTE phones so far are single core.

Why dual core, LTE phones, like Droid Bionic is delayed.

Why the Xoom has its LTE support delayed.

Sort of. The reason for the single core is that these phones have been in development for a long time.

It isn't all dual cores that they're having problems with; its mainly Tegra 2.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You can also consider the Droid X2 due out next week, Dual Core Tegra2 1-1.2Ghz (it has been listed both ways) 768MB RAM, qHD 540*960 display so its the Bionic but with 3G. My market gets 4G LTE this summer, but so far the 4G phones from Verizon have been lackluster to say the least. I sold my ThunderBolt, the Charge looks awesome but it seems more like a warmed up Fascinate with a nicer screen and LTE. I have yet to hear the Hummingbird processor is an updated single core (not likely) only 1.04GB of free internal memory, if you root it you can get up to 1.45GB but still.

I am split between the Charge and the DX2, odd I know.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm in a holding pattern now waiting for VZW to release a dual core LTE phone. I'm sure multiple models will be released around the same time. I hope they are released before a tiered data plan goes into affect, if not I guess I wil pick up a single core LTE model. Sprint is letting me down since their roaming agreement in my area was lost and my service area has been chopped. But I still want what I would consider to be an upgrade over my EVO.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Thunderbolt is a solid choice if you are getting a phone right now. Otherwise the Galaxy S2 will be your best bet probably if you want to root your phone ever.

KingKuba

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S2 will not be outclassed by anything this year, and may very well be the most powerful device of the year and sometime into next year, until we see Cortex-A15 phones coming out.

Of course it will. Its nothing special. Dual core. 1gb ram, blah blah.

Already out. End of the year, 1Q and SGs2 will be yesterday's news when 2Ghz, 2gb ram, hd screens, 1400p, tegra 3, etc.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have seen the supposed leaked pages showing a Galaxy S2 phone for Verizon but where is the REAL proof they will get one. Wouldn't they have flashed something at CES especially if it was getting 4G LTE?

mrblahblah

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess you are right, I will just get the Samsung charge, and then update in couple of years after wards. If I keep on waiting, I will never get a new phone, especially considering I have had my Samsung Omina for almost 4 years now.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, you can still root it... just no custom ROMs.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781