Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MAkes me wonder if current phones are Ice Cream sandwich upgradable

http://www.androidcentral.com/rumore...evice-surfaces

If ICS will be like Honeycomb then itll be using software keys as opposed to the capacitive ones we are using right now, with the home, menu, back, and search keys.

If so how will they implement ICS into current phones?

I think it will be programmable to work with either. There is no way their releasing phones, i.e. the nexus s, which has dedicated buttons, and not upgrading it to ics. It's just not something google would do.

Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

I can't imagine that Google would leave older phones, the Nexus S in particular, in the dust. I agree that Ice Cream Sandwich will probably either work with or without capacitive buttons, or we'll be able to run ICS on older phones without the need to use the capacitive buttons.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

it would be kind of silly to release a phone os without any button support.
    the point is with ics you will be able to make a phone without buttons if you want to.
    as screen size keeps getting bigger, the need for physical buttons diminishes so it is good to have both options available.

Look what I found.

0:24

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

Quote Originally Posted by testt View Post
    Look what I found.

0:24

That's an evo...

Quote Originally Posted by Officerpolabear View Post
    That's an evo...
    I have tried to move my EVO around in different lighting but I cannot get the buttons on the bottom to ever appear as though they are on a light gray backbround.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    it would be kind of silly to release a phone os without any button support.
    the point is with ics you will be able to make a phone without buttons if you want to.
    as screen size keeps getting bigger, the need for physical buttons diminishes so it is good to have both options available.
    Furthermore, I can't imagine Google releasing a new OS - as per Google, scheduled for 4Q 2011 - where none of the current phones or those to be released later this year won't be able to run, specially the Nexus S - Google's own.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have tried to move my EVO around in different lighting but I cannot get the buttons on the bottom to ever appear as though they are on a light gray backbround.
    Cameras and cinematography will do some ca-razy things.

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    screen protectors commonly give that effect when in weird lighting. but more importantly if you watch the video around the :24 second mark and keep an eye on the notification bar you'll see it slide with the picture. it is merely a screen capture on an EVO with a screen protector.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (1 year)>
    Motorola Droid [Rooted] (Froyo 2.2 --> 1Ghz ultra low voltage) (8 months)>
    Motorola Droid X [Rooted] (Fission v2.6.1 --> 1Ghz--> low voltage)(10 months)>
    HTC Droid Eris [Rooted] (CM 7) (risky outdoors device)(current)>
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

Next device: Samsung Galaxy S II

Default Re: MAkes me wonder if current phones are Ice Cream sandwich upgr

Late to the party but, I dont think current phones will be able to support ICS. If they are don't be suprised if only HTC updates your phone.
    HaXoR Master

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts
    ROM
    WXKK5

i hope ICS will be able to be used on older devices... but really only time will tell.... to me its just another reason to get another device... lets just hope they continue to make devices that dont have giant screens (hate that)

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    ROM
    InsertCoin 1.1.1

It's not like ICS has been stripped of all hard button support - think of sliders and such. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if current devices aren't supported though, simply because it seems to be a rather large overhaul when compared to 2.3.x.

I highly doubt Goog will do what Apple did with their 3G, they (Google) will make sure ICS runs on previous model phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottatron View Post
    I highly doubt Goog will do what Apple did with their 3G, they (Google) will make sure ICS runs on previous model phones.
    I wouldnt be suprised! Google has to support all phones with ICS. During their keynote they had pics of all these phones saying it would be a vast OS!