Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

Default Best Current Android Phone and Why

As you can probably tell from the title, I want to know what you think is the best current android phone and why. It doesn't necessarily doesn't have to be the top-specced phone out there, depending on what is important to you as an Android user.

For, me it's probably the SGSII, because it combines top of the line hardware, Gingerbread (with a UI that's not half bad, IMHO), and most importantly, it's hackable. My second choice would be the Evo 3D/Sensation.

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

For all the reasons you mentioned, I would agree that the S2 is the best android currently available.

Global Posts
    8,687 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

NS4G, why? Because it has good specs and will be updated by Google to stay current with as many OS iterations possible. I doubt that the question of which Android phone is the best will ever be answered. Everyone has their own preferences and some like an updated phone over something that can do your daily chores.

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I can't believed we haven't learned our lesson with Samsung and their skinning! I know the original Galaxy S over seas got updates timely, but in the US updating was terrible. I think the NS is the best phone because it gives a majority of consumers what they want, current software. Dual core is good, but it's only as good as the software it pushes. You can root yes, but out of the box the NS is the best because it's current, still has fairly good specs, and stock android.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom
    Jc3

The sg2 is currently available? You must not be in the US.... do want =[

Htc sensation>sgs2

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Who is your current carrier (or who do you want to join with?). That would also obviously effect your choice of phones.

Samsung Galaxy SII is the best device currently. Sensation is not out yet but it has less RAM, lower quality screen and less storage (1 GB vs 16 GB). The following video is very enlightening.

YouTube - ‪[GALAXY S II] Official Live Demo -- HD‬‏

Depending on what point of view you choose:
    Hardware-wise, Samsung Galaxy S2.
    Software-wise, Nexus S.

Eh, cm7 is almost ready for sgs2. So in like a week ns =sgs2 for vanilla android. And will have 2.3.4
    But if you don't root, nexus is king of vanilla for sure

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

It will take a long time to get a final build of CyanogenMod (especially for Samsung phones). Just because nightlies start doesn't mean it's at all ready for everyday use, whereas the Nexus stock build is 100% ready from day 1. And by the time CM is finished for SGS2, there will probably be a new version of Gingerbread.

That along with the fact that the Nexus comes with no bloatware and is made to be easily unlocked/rooted. No beating the Nexus for the latest software and strongest/fastest developer support (CM, MiUi, etc).

Sent by a little green robot

No doubt nexus has best support from Google, doesn't make the whole phone experience better. But to each is own

But now I see we were talking software wise. So yeah very solid point

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade my Incredible for anything on the market today.

While it doesn't have the newest hardware, the dev community is absolutely amazing. Right now I have CM7, Sense 3.0 (from the Kingdom), MIUI and the Acer Liquid Metal Rom all loaded in a quad boot setup, and every day is bringing improvements and new concepts to the table.
    Last edited by rpz3.14; 06-06-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Give me enough time and I'll think of something clever...

Global Posts
    8,687 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by rpz3.14 View Post
    I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade my Incredible for anything on the market today.

While it doesn't have the newest hardware, the dev community is absolutely amazing. Right now I have CM7, Sense 3.0 (from the Kingdom), MIUI and the Acer Liquid Metal Rom all loaded in a quad boot setup, and every day is bringing improvements and new concepts to the table.
    The Incredible is a great device being that it does not have the highest end components. It's support by the community is what will keep the phone fresh for some time to come.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    I can't believed we haven't learned our lesson with Samsung and their skinning! I know the original Galaxy S over seas got updates timely, but in the US updating was terrible. I think the NS is the best phone because it gives a majority of consumers what they want, current software. Dual core is good, but it's only as good as the software it pushes. You can root yes, but out of the box the NS is the best because it's current, still has fairly good specs, and stock android.
    trust me, I know about samsung's update issues, considering I have a cappy. I wasn't talking about the iterations of the SGSII that will come to the U.S. I was talking about the Euro version that you can import and use on AT&T or TMobile
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jc3 View Post
    The sg2 is currently available? You must not be in the US.... do want =[
    not in the U.S. but you can buy it unsubsidized and import it to use on AT&T or TMobile, like I said in my last post
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Moneymike420 View Post
    Htc sensation>sgs2
    why?

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    ROM
    custom StreakDroid ROM

I'm still partial to the Dell STREAK. It is a 5" screen. HUGE! Granted, software support is probably the worst in the business, but from a hardware stand point it is probably the best.
    mellojoe
    the one, the only

AT&T: Inspire 4G
    Sprint: Evo 3D
    Verizon: Thunderbolt
    T-Mo: Sensation

I guess I have a thing for HTC

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by mellojoe View Post
    I'm still partial to the Dell STREAK. It is a 5" screen. HUGE! Granted, software support is probably the worst in the business, but from a hardware stand point it is probably the best.
    Why does having a 5 inch screen make it the best hardware? Does it have a dual core processor? Does it have a gig of RAM? What type of screen does it have? QHD? SAMOLED Plus? Does it have a great camera?

I've never even heard the dell streak mentioned as the best phone on the market.

Maybe not the best...but i'm always gonna pull for the LG Optimus 2X or the G2X or whatever its called in the states. Dual Core, this thing is a beast and hopefully more tegrazone games will appear soon. I chose it over the SGS2 for 2 main reasons....price difference and size. The SGS2 was far too big for my hands it just didn't feel comfortable to use. The optimus is absolutely superb
    Manning the AC Euro office since 2011

Inspire better than the Atrix? idt so my friendddd

Quote Originally Posted by thedunn805 View Post
    AT&T: Inspire 4G
    Sprint: Evo 3D
    Verizon: Thunderbolt
    T-Mo: Sensation

I guess I have a thing for HTC

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't the Evo 3D actually have to be out to qualify?

At this point on Sprint, it's the Nexus S 4G with an honorable mention to the EVO.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS Upgrade

So I am a Sprint customer and am disappointed that the Evo 3D turned out the way it did (huge shutter button, etc) and I am not looking forward to the Photon as Motorola just doesn't hold the best of memories... So is there anything else that is spec worthy of these phones to be released in the next two months for Sprint? Otherwise I am keeping my rooted Epic and spending the money on an Asus Transformer with keyboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast