Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stockandroidguy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid Incredible 2 vs. Droid 3

Title says it all-- I was almost going to jump on the Incredible but then those tutorials were leaked and rumors of gingerbread and dual core were thrown around. What do you guys think? I chose to get the Incredible 2 because of its excellent form factor and screen. From what I hear, the droid 3 will have a less than average screen, and it will most definitely be thicker than the DInc 2. But is dual core worth it? At the risk of spawning an entirely new discussion... what benefits does dual core have, anyway?

Go look at the droid x2, from what I gather it will have the same type of screen, though a bit smaller.

By most accounts that I've seen, the system running on d3 will outperform tegra2.

The d3 seems like it will be on par for the upcoming generation of phones, giving some peace of mind for future proofing. Unless you have 4g in your future.

Between the two i'd go with d3.(actually, d3 is the one and only phone, rumored or existing, that I'm interested in, so I'm a bit biased.)

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Overall, the Droid 3 seems to sound like the superior device, dual core, qHD screen, HDMI out are some of its bonuses. Is a slide-out physical keyboard important to you?

I have heard worries of the "PenTile" display in the Droid X2 which the Droid 3 probably will use from some though. Also the worries of it using MotoBlur vs. Sense and most likely a locked vs unlocked (or at least less restrictive) bootloader in the Incredible 2.

I couldn't tell from the videos but does the Droid 3 have a FFC? I see something on the top right corner but it might just be a light sensor.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"

I'm not sure if anyone yet knows for sure about ffc, but I remember those parts listed from a vendor indicated one would there.

All rumors so far say that the D3 will have a ffc.

I too am on the fence about between the two. The Dinc2 looks great, has good proportions, has a great screen and is a world phone. The D3 has everything elseÖ and a 4 row keyboard.

Right now the DInc2 isnít getting a lot of love from the developer community. Thatís not a huge deal to me, but it is something to keep in mind. Also, while the Dinc2 is plenty strong for everything today, a year from now itís going to feel all that more outdated. Itís bad enough that they donít have LTE, but a year from now they are both going to feel ďslow.Ē I have a feeling the Dinc2 is going to fair worse in that department.

I never liked the shape/look of the original Droid, and the Droid 2 did little for me either. At least as far as what weíve seen in the videos the D3 looks pretty good to me.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    ROM
    OEM

The DInc2 is the same thing as the OG DInc. Not worth it. Save your money and get an original DInc, or get D3

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by JCrome View Post
    The DInc2 is the same thing as the OG DInc. Not worth it. Save your money and get an original DInc, or get D3
    In a word, "Wrong." But to answer the OP, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I recently upgraded from an OG Droid to the Droid Incredible 2 and couldn't be happier. Well, okay, I could ALWAYS be happier, but the Incredible 2 has to be one of the best sorted-out devices out there right now. I went with the DInc2 because of the form factor, price, and ease of use. I never used the physical keyboard on my OG Droid, but if that's important to you, the choice is obvious. The screen on the DInc2 is good, but it does wash out in direct sunlight. The screen on the Droid 3 should be better. The 4" screen is a nice step up from the 3.7" on the OG Droid either way, and in my opinion represents the sweet spot for device size. The DInc2 will be thinner, obviously. Will the dual core help the Droid 3? The obvious answer is yes, but when? The OS is not yet optimized for dual core, but having a dual core phone now would definitely be more "future proof" when making a choice that has to last you two years. In theory, the dual cores should help with battery life once the software is optimized for them. I will say that the battery life on the DInc2 is pretty good, MUCH better than the OG Incredible. Another thing to consider is whether or not the Droid 3 will have an unlockable bootloader. I know the topic has been done to death, but the ability to customize their phones and really "unlock" their potential is important to many. They haven't found a way to root the DInc2 (yet), either. I think the Sense UI on the DInc2 is quite smooth, but I still prefer the vanilla Android experience my OG Droid offered. Sadly, I don't think we will see that from Verizon again anytime soon. Overall, I doubt you can go wrong with EITHER phone. As always, YMMV....

Bryan
    Last edited by Last Ride; 06-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hey, Bryan, That is the most thought you have put into anything you've said this week. You know where my loyalties lie, we talk about it all the time at work. I would rather have a DInc 2 over a Droid 5. In a word: MotoBlur. Case closed. But, like you said, it all depends on what you are looking for in a phone. User interface is my top priority, second is the ability to change it on a whim. HTC leads the pack in both, so for me it's a no brainer...
    "In valor, there is hope."

Im in the exact same boat. Leaning towards the DInc2 but with the Droid 3 releasing in a matter of weeks ill wait just to be sure

Get the D3 if you like the full keyboard otherwise opt for a 4g phone.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Will RAM make a difference to anyone? Dinc2 with 768MB and D3 reported to have 512MB. Given this and the different processors (single vs dual core) their performance may be the same (UI notwithstanding). I too am coming from the original Droid so I'm sure either one will seem like a huge step up and no, the physical keyboard is not a factor for me.

i agree

I bet more people will be thinking about this question now that the clock is ticking to july 7th.

I also am still using the OG droid, never use the keypad, do NOT need 4G, and do not believe dual core is worth it yet.

I am one of the weird ones hung up on screen resolution and getting a new phone with less DPI then the Droids 480 x 854 in a 3.7 inch screen seems just wrong.

Droid 3 with a slider i'll never use or Dinc2 that will be "dated" in less then a year...... Sheesh....

Default Re: Droid Incredible 2 vs. Droid 3

Sense vs motoblur that is the real debate in my opinion