Any promising mid-level devices coming to Verizon?

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
While I personally love to have bleeding-edge or at least very new phones, my girlfriend does not. She recently embraced smartphones in general and got herself a Droid Eris used on Craigslist. It has served her well and she loves the fact that the phone has a small form-factor yet can still do just about everything my enormous 4.3" Droid X can do.

She is due for an upgrade later this month and I'm wondering what her options are. Verizon is (smartly) pushing a lot of high-end phones, but I fear that these are not for her. I haven't been able to find much information about new mid-level phones coming to Verizon in the near future, but it could be because those types of devices are brought in without much fanfare.

Has anyone heard of new mid-level phones coming to Verizon anytime soon, ideally ones that don't suck too much (a la the Motorola Citrus) and aren't Bing-ed out?

I was thinking of having her try out the Incredible 2 and upcoming Droid 3, but those are both "bigger" phones and that's honestly what she cares about most - form/style/feel over internal components or features.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah she initially considered that one, but you're right it has Bing. It's also getting pretty old - as it is she's stuck on 2.1 with her Eris so ideally a new phone would pack a little more punch under the hood and be supported for the foreseeable future.

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
well, i would say that the incredible fits perfectly.... but i don't think verizon is carrying them anymore. so you wouldn't be able to use your upgrade towards it.

arctic388

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same situation. i want to change to Verizon from ATT. we both have iphone 3gs and i want big/fast etc and wife wants a 3.2" device. of course i want a "good" one but just don't know about them well enough to decide. she keeps saying the 3gs is to big to fit in her pocket.

any body know of an updated model for me to look into that is smaller in size?

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend the Incredible 2. It can be had for less than $100 on upgrade, and in my opinion, is one of the most well sorted out phones on Verizon. It's smaller than the DX at 4". If that's still too big, I think you can still get the OG Incredible. Right now, the only thing that could possibly tear me away from my DInc2 is the fabled Bionic. Unless that one blows me away, I'll be happy to plug along with the DInc2 until Verizon figures out their LTE a little more. YMMV,

Bryan

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. She is considering the Dinc2 and I plan to convince her it isn't too big. Its future-proof and got the goods under the hood.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

colbysbb

May 24, 2011
Visit site
DInc2 seems like the best mid range VZW android. HTC has good hardware and sense is fine. It's got great specs and should get gingerbread if it doesnt already have it. Also, the Casio commando looks pretty sweet. dont know anyone who has it tho.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
DInc2 seems like the best mid range VZW android. HTC has good hardware and sense is fine. It's got great specs and should get gingerbread if it doesnt already have it. Also, the Casio commando looks pretty sweet. dont know anyone who has it tho.

The dinc2 is not a midrange phone, the commando that is a midrange phone though.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The DINC2 is a very nice mid-tier device but I also suggest looking at the SonyEricsson Xperia Play.Same hardware as the DINC2 and Thunderbolt.The Play also runs lean Vanilla Android Gingerbread OS with very little bloatware compared to a lot of their Droid-branded Android devices.Very good speakers and solid camera/video software.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the original Incredible and love it. I have suggested to my best friend in California to get the Incredible 2 It will be her first smartphone. I don't need 4G and she doesn't either. All the hype and issues with the 4G phones and the network aren't worth it to me.

Nubs#AC

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the original Incredible and love it. I have suggested to my best friend in California to get the Incredible 2 It will be her first smartphone. I don't need 4G and she doesn't either. All the hype and issues with the 4G phones and the network aren't worth it to me.

Agreed. I still love my DINC1 (except for the 150mb internal memory issues :'( ) so, I really think my next phone will be the DINC2. I don't need a monster screen, that's what my Galaxy tab is for. I just need a great android smart phone that can handle multiple E-mails, 3G and wifi, etc...

In fact, my wife likes the HTC UI better than the Motoblur, so she'll be going to HTC as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci