1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid 3 or wait?

It's "fairly" well known that the D3 will come out July 14 (if all stands true), and I've been waiting for this. My OG Droid is struggling to run Gingerbread, and I'm really looking forward to a phone to replace it.

The specs I've seen thrown around are 512 MB of RAM, OMAP 4430 processor, 4 inch touch screen, 2.3.4, 8 mp screen, and 1080i recording. Sounds sexy, but is it worth jumping on?

I'm with big red and I'd really like a taste of the 4g LTE network, but its rumored that the D3 WON'T be LTE. Kind of a bummer. I love the keyboard and all that jazz, but I've also heard that the newest "Nexus" may be released on multiple carriers, and be an absolute monster running 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

My question is this: do I jump on the D3 and hope I'm not crying when Verizon picks up a dual-core beast on 4g LTE, and everything I could ever want?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Default Re: Droid 3 or wait?

if you dont care about 4g then I would get it. Otherwise the bionic is supposed to come out july 28th(rumor) which has a bigger screen, no keyboard, LTE. It is all up to what you want in a phone. The droid 3 looks like a real powerhorse just lacking LTE which to some doesnt matter.

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I plan on waiting for the D3 to hit, check it out, then wait a couple of weeks to see if the Bionic does actually arrive, not sure it will. Some say the pentile screen looks terrible, I didn't have any issues with it and yes I wear glasses, but I'm not blind that said, I am not sure I want a 4.5" pentile vs 4" pentile display if only to keep the pixels psi higher on the D3. I have played with 4G and its great, but given the fact that I can move down to a 3G, keep my unlimited data, and upgrade next year when REAL 4G LTE phones arrive and yes I mean REAL 4G LTE phones. What is here today is ok, but they do not have them optimized for battery life and they are not the best choices.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I plan on waiting for the D3 to hit, check it out, then wait a couple of weeks to see if the Bionic does actually arrive, not sure it will. Some say the pentile screen looks terrible, I didn't have any issues with it and yes I wear glasses, but I'm not blind that said, I am not sure I want a 4.5" pentile vs 4" pentile display if only to keep the pixels psi higher on the D3. I have played with 4G and its great, but given the fact that I can move down to a 3G, keep my unlimited data, and upgrade next year when REAL 4G LTE phones arrive and yes I mean REAL 4G LTE phones. What is here today is ok, but they do not have them optimized for battery life and they are not the best choices.
    God, 4.5" is so massive, I don't want more than 4.3" really, but its all preference. Is it clear that I can keep my unlimited "grandfathered" status if I upgrade to 4g? If not, this may be a moot point.

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Until we actually see something from Verizon in print on July 7th we can only take what we have been told as "rumor". The info has been leaked but Verizon can change anything they want at anytime. The 4.5" screen really is big and I wouldn't mind a real keyboard which is why I am seriously looking at the Droid3.

Now why exactly isn't the Droid3 listed in the "Devices" page you can click here on Android Central. We clearly know what it looks like but its gone.

I doubt you will find anything on vzw with a keyboard that is better for a long time.

If you don't want a keyboard, the options open up with compelling (rumored) releases expected to come out every month till Christmas.

Personally, if the D3 is a good phone, I'm going to snatch it and quit this game for two years.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

A good keyboard and key and so is battery life, I personally am getting tired (so is the wallet) of chasing the best 4G LTE phone when its going to be at least a year until a really solid one will arrive, for me anyways.

I figure i'd rather wait for 4g tech to mature a bit (ie, not 1st gen radios). Not to mention I don't expect 4g to hit my area until the very end of the rollout.

What concerns me, though, is the ram. I know its ddr2, which is great, but I wonder about webtop. iirc, moto said their new high end devices will all run webtop, but I was under the impression there should be 1gb ram. Unless ddr2 can handle both duties with only 512?

either way, droid3 is my next phone. I need my keyboard. If xperia pro came out a few months ago, i'd have used my upgrade for it, but now I wait for d3 and keep rocking the d1.

You should buy a phone if you like it. You should never *not* buy a phone because something better might be coming. Because the way this industry moves today, there will always be something better around the corner. At some point, when something looks hot, you just need to pull the trigger.

And if you want a physical keyboard, there's also leaked pictures of a Samsung device coming to VZW with a slider that looks a bit like the Epic 4G on Sprint. Might be worth taking a look at.

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I guess the reason it only got 512MB is they have no plans for the Webtop dock for the D3. I already have a MacBook Air so the webtop dock is a overpriced for what you get.

ROM
    Virtuous 2.0.1

The droid 3 looks awesome but I got my gf a d2g and that phone is excellent.

Does anyone know how the weight compares, from the D2 to the D3?

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

.As far as I can tell, the Droid³ its launching next week. So I think its worth just waiting for that
    So many phones, so little time.

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by EggoEspada View Post
    .As far as I can tell, the Droid³ its launching next week. So I think its worth just waiting for that
    Have you read the reports that it will be shipping via D-Fill so it is shipping next week, it launches on the 7th which means you likely can order it on the 5th or 6th with a ship date to follow. Not sure why you think its not shipping next week.

It looks great...just might wait it out

The Droid 3 is the only reason I haven't picked up the Xperia Play yet. After trying out the Thunderbolt I've decided to wait until the 2nd gen of LTE devices,which should excellent.I'll be happy with 3G + WiFi for now.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"

ROM
    Stock

I would wait.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

The D3 sounds like a beast, I want it but no upgrade until September, so I will wait to see what's coming out then. Love my thunderbolt anyway

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

With today's news about Netflix HD support for the OMAP4 Chipset this makes the D3 a very nice phone. It will not have a battery drain to it unlike other phones.

ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

i'd prefer a physical keyboard over a 4.5 inch screen.
    i mean, to think ten years ago the trend was smaller, and smaller, and smaller

now it's bigger, and bigger, and bigger

ROM
    Currently Stock w/ Root

Wait it out!

Sent from my I500 using Tapatalk

Having given up BB and have a touchscreen Android, I have to say I really prefer touchscreen over full qwerty. It is easy to get used to and so easy. I won't use a qwerty anymore, but this is my opinion.
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I'm in this boat...Galaxy S II or Droid 3

Droid 3 has the keyboard keys...i've gotten annoyed just today attempting to use the on screen on my Droid 1...i can do it in a pinch though. Also, while i've gotten used to the onscreen hiding what I see when in landscape mode, i don't like it.

Galaxy S II has the smoothness, the UI (I prefer TouchWiz for manufacturer enhanced builds of Android) and potentially the easier tinkerability (unencrypted bootloader)..and the screen. SuperAMOLED is impressive as it is, can't wait to see how plus looks.

Thing is....can i wait that long....i don't know with a semi busted headphone jack.

With the US release of the galaxy s2 supposedly using tegra2 instead, I wonder how many people will look elsewhere, like at the d3.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    With the US release of the galaxy s2 supposedly using tegra2 instead, I wonder how many people will look elsewhere, like at the d3.
    Hopefully since Samsung knew that they would be doing a two chipset strategy, they would optimize the software to run equally well on both platforms.