Will we ever see an Android Portrait Slider?

ozahran

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Will we ever see a high end device with a form factor similar to the Pre or the Torch running Android? I know Motorola did a very low-end one a while back, but will we ever see a dual core phone with a vertical slide up keyboard? I personally loved that form factor on my Torch and wish that a phone running Android with that form factor was available? Would you guys buy a device like that?

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I would really love my Evo Shift a lot more if it had a portrait slider instead of landscape. I used a Palm Pre for quite a while and really like that form factor, and the portrait keyboard is still much easier for me to use.

When my wife is able to upgrade from her BB curve she might get the Motorola XPRT. If I really like it a lot I may consider getting one as a replacement for my Shift.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Time will tell. It is possible, but there is only so much of a market for it. Not a whole lot want a physical keyboard anymore. It might still take awhile, but they might.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I would love to have this option out there. I'm almost certainly leaving my Pre for Android (Sprint) when I upgrade later this year or early next. While I like the EVO Shift after playing with it for a while, I didn't really use the physical keyboard, and am still not sure I like a landscape slider. I'm *very* interested in the upcoming Hero 4G and may opt for that - just a smidge smaller than the EVO and the 3D, both of which are too big IMO.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Dell makes a nice phone in that form factor, but it's for WP7. Nonetheless, it isn't a completely forgotten design.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to see that, but these companies have this mentality that portrait sliders are for low end devices. Maybe one of these days someone will make a high end portrait slider.

ozahran

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Dell makes a nice phone in that form factor, but it's for WP7. Nonetheless, it isn't a completely forgotten design.

Yes, I believe that's the Venue Pro. It would just be nice to see more of a variety of form factors with Android. Full black slab gets boring after a while

ozahran

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I would really love my Evo Shift a lot more if it had a portrait slider instead of landscape. I used a Palm Pre for quite a while and really like that form factor, and the portrait keyboard is still much easier for me to use.

When my wife is able to upgrade from her BB curve she might get the Motorola XPRT. If I really like it a lot I may consider getting one as a replacement for my Shift.

I would definitely buy an EVO shift portrait slider. That phone would be kick ass.

Reactions: jjeffcoat

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I wish someone at XDA could reverse hackengineer the dell venue pro and remove WP7 from it and load some Android goodness on it. That would be nice.

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I have the XPRTs OG cousing the Droid Pro and have been very happy with it. It is the phone that finally killed my BB Tour when the OG Droid (crap keyboard), the Eris (underpowered but good Android starter), and the HTC Incredible (bought for my brother) couldn't. Each time I ended up going back to the BB. Then I go the Droid Pro and the BB Tour has been sitting in my desk drawer since. :D

Reactions: jjeffcoat

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been begging for this for awhile now. I want a portrait slider keyboard, high end Android device. The EXPRT and the other portrait android device they have at Verizon are mid to low range phones. The closes I've seen to a high end portrait keyboard device is the Cha-Cha. But the screen is too small, and the specs even smaller. But that's the only freakin choice were given.

I think the Dell Venue Pro is a lovely form factor, however, the phone gets bad reviews, it lacks a front facing camera, and because of the curve display, some reviewers have said it distorted the AMOLED screen. But regardless, I would love to have that option, a 4.3 inch SUPER AMOLED Plus screen, 1.4 dual core processor, physical dedicated camera button, 8 mega pixel cam on the back and a 2 mega pixel cam on the front, portrait slider keyboard, with removable memory. Running whatever the latest flavor of Android is.

People would buy this freakin phone! I hate touch screen. But if I want the creame de la creame, then it's a freakin slab!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

jasetroncs

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've always loved portrait sliders: small enough to be used with a single hand, and the slider aspect keeps the phone from sacrificing screen real estate. It's one of the things I loved about my Pre.

When I made the switch to Android I picked the Nexus S 4G because it was the one I had the least amount of reservations about from the current Sprint lineup. I didn't necessarily love the phone, and the virtual keyboard (which I'm still struggling with) has a lot to do with that.

If there were currently a portrait slider Android device, I would have picked it in a heartbeat over any of the other available alternatives. Portrait sliders are absolutely not an obsolete form factor and here's hoping that one will eventually be released.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Depending on how much typing you do on it. IMO Landscape would be best, give you more space for keys. Yes you need to use two hands but its that much easier. With the phones they are coming out with now, it would be crazy thick. 4.3inch portrait slider? lol that would end up like 5inches long when open.

I loved the PRE and keyboard but for me the screen got to be to small to fast. My wife would love it, shes struggling with her EVO OG. she loves everything but the touchscreen keyboard.
I'm trying to just use the screens keyboard on my Epic. 4inch screen is tight for me but on the EVO it seems so easy and i mess up a lot less,
If a portrait slider with at-least 3.5 or more comes out. Mt wife will be screaming to get it lol ....

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
If the powers that be at VZW are reading this, put my wife and I down for two portrait sliders as well.

The keyboard is the (only) thing I miss most about my switch from my BB curve. I could rattle off some long ass messages on that thing, with one hand, without having to look at the screen. My sausage fingers just can't get acclimated to on-screen keyboards... and swype is just totally flawed by auto-adding mis-typed words to it's dictionary.

The fact that there are 15+ messages in this thread prove that there is a market for the phone. AC contributors make a micro fraction of android users.. it would extrapolate to good sales across the country if people were given the choice of something other than the next 'iPhone killer'

deviouslylost

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I would be tempted to dump my tbolt for a portrait slider. I have used a lot of phones and feel thats what's missing the most. Nothing big and bulky as I know some companies believe that bigger is better.

So my shameless begging... Please HTC build a portrait slider kthxbai

Sent from my BAMF'd Bolt using Tapatalk

dmanlee

May 10, 2011
Visit site
+100
Wish manufacturers could see the light... Build something different from the slab pack! Autocorrect & swype don't do the job of a decent keyboard

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list who want a good Android portrait slider. That's really why I bought the Pre to begin with, and while the phone is laggy and needs to be rebooted every day to clear its memory, I still haven't migrated to Android because I don't like the available form factors.

I may just go ahead and get the XPRT. I'd consider a good landscape slider (I have considered the Evo Shift and the Samsung Epic) but even if they are good phones, they don't have very good keyboards. I don't know if it's just harder to make a good landscape keyboard, or if the form factor is just less finger-friendly, but they aren't a satisfying replacement for the Pre or the Treo.

People are so hung up on "thin". I find that the length and width of the phone matter a lot more as to how it fits in my pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000