Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Prime) Waiting Room

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
you know that i understand where you're coming from. but, Google has all but confirmed that a new Nexus is coming, when it made statements in conjunction with its bid to buy Moto. Google said that it wouldn't change the process for making Nexus devices: around christmas they will take proposals from the various OEM's to build the Nexus, they will select one to build the device, and it will be released the following year around the holidays:

Google Nexus Program

We have this strategy where we have this Nexus program and we have this lead device strategy. That strategy has worked quite well to help focus the team. What we do -- around christmas time of each year -- is we select a manufacturer that we work very closely with to release a device in that timeframe.
That includes also semiconductor companies and all the components that go into the device. Essentially teams huddle together in one building, they jointly work in these development efforts, they go on for 9 to 12 months, and ultimately at the holiday season or right before it, devices pop out that are based on this effort.
We don?t expect that to change at all. The acquisition is going to be run as a separate business, they will be part of that bidding process and part of that lead development process. And obviously Android remains open to other partners to use as they are today.

while it's not an official announcement of a device, it's a pretty strong indication that a Nexus device is coming before the end of the year, don't you think?

Yeah, but...where? Verizon? With LTE?

For me that info is important because if I knew something was coming to Verizon in October I may be able to wait another month. If it's not, no use in waiting...I'll just buy the Bionic next week or whenever.

Brandon

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
i understand the frustration. but, if there's even a chance of it coming to vzw (and Phil says it's more than a chance), no way am i going to buy a phone until there's confirmation of either yay or nay. a nexus, with these rumored specs, would just be too hard to pass up (except for maybe the DHD). :)

Reactions: sonicxml

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
you know that i understand where you're coming from. but, Google has all but confirmed that a new Nexus is coming, when it made statements in conjunction with its bid to buy Moto. Google said that it wouldn't change the process for making Nexus devices: around christmas they will take proposals from the various OEM's to build the Nexus, they will select one to build the device, and it will be released the following year around the holidays:

Google Nexus Program

We have this strategy where we have this Nexus program and we have this lead device strategy. That strategy has worked quite well to help focus the team. What we do -- around christmas time of each year -- is we select a manufacturer that we work very closely with to release a device in that timeframe.
That includes also semiconductor companies and all the components that go into the device. Essentially teams huddle together in one building, they jointly work in these development efforts, they go on for 9 to 12 months, and ultimately at the holiday season or right before it, devices pop out that are based on this effort.
We don?t expect that to change at all. The acquisition is going to be run as a separate business, they will be part of that bidding process and part of that lead development process. And obviously Android remains open to other partners to use as they are today.

while it's not an official announcement of a device, it's a pretty strong indication that a Nexus device is coming before the end of the year, don't you think?

Oh, I completely agree there's one one the way, I am more questioning BGR's "reporting." Especially when it seems they are just throwing high end specs out there saying thery're for the next Nexus, "or just possibly some other high end phone". I haven't seen one other reputable tech site even acknowledge the BGR "article". That speaks volumes to me.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And, for the record, Tapatalk is giving me issues today, which is why I keep posting half posts.

Also, Google really needs to tighten up Translate. That article was nearly unreadable. Thanks for finding it though. Nice to see something not spawned from BGR.

I will say, if the Nexus turns into a slab like the current 4.3" phones, I'm not going to be happy at all. Especially now that I'm on the Nexus bandwagon, I love the sleek form and do not want to go back to a brick like the EVO

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
And, for the record, Tapatalk is giving me issues today, which is why I keep posting half posts.

Also, Google really needs to tighten up Translate. That article was nearly unreadable. Thanks for finding it though. Nice to see something not spawned from BGR.

I will say, if the Nexus turns into a slab like the current 4.3" phones, I'm not going to be happy at all. Especially now that I'm on the Nexus bandwagon, I love the sleek form and do not want to go back to a brick like the EVO

if it ends up being made by Sammy, we'll probably see a pretty slim device.

yeah, the translation of that article was almost unbearable. but, it seems like they were quoting sources from Sammy vendors, who were saying that Sammy has begun production of the units....??

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
if it ends up being made by Sammy, we'll probably see a pretty slim device.

yeah, the translation of that article was almost unbearable. but, it seems like they were quoting sources from Sammy vendors, who were saying that Sammy has begun production of the units....??

I'm sure it'll be slim, but on referring more to the corners and the sheer size of the face of the phone. The rounded edges on the NS4G make it 100% nicer to hold. All the big phones are too square and just a hair too big. If they could keep it pretty much the same size and shape as the NS4G, I would love it. If it turns into a mobster size phone, I'll stick with what I got for a while and see what comes out next summer

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it'll be slim, but on referring more to the corners and the sheer size of the face of the phone. The rounded edges on the NS4G make it 100% nicer to hold. All the big phones are too square and just a hair too big. If they could keep it pretty much the same size and shape as the NS4G, I would love it. If it turns into a mobster size phone, I'll stick with what I got for a while and see what comes out next summer

Well, it does have rounded corners in the "pictures" we've seen, but I wouldn't expect it to be any small than an Evo. It's supposedly got a 4.6" display, and even if you account for the lack of capacitive buttons, that's still damn big (comparable to a 4.3" phone).

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site
i understand the frustration. but, if there's even a chance of it coming to vzw (and Phil says it's more than a chance), no way am i going to buy a phone until there's confirmation of either yay or nay. a nexus, with these rumored specs, would just be too hard to pass up (except for maybe the DHD). :)

I agree with you man. My upgrade is hot and burning a whole in my pocket but this device is tough to not wait and hear more about before going with something else.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, it does have rounded corners in the "pictures" we've seen, but I wouldn't expect it to be any small than an Evo. It's supposedly got a 4.6" display, and even if you account for the lack of capacitive buttons, that's still damn big (comparable to a 4.3" phone).

Um, what "pictures" are you referring to? Only "leaks" I have seen are from BGR, and they always have pictures of a Nexus S attached to them.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, Engadget is reporting the Korean article too, so I guess that part is pretty legit.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Welp...now that webOS is dead, looks like i'll be switching over to Android. Hopefully the Prime/Samsung ICS/720p phone comes to Sprint in Oct.

EDIT: that leak looks like it is going to be released during Black Friday time. Yikes.

Last edited:

drbugsmn

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Welp...now that webOS is dead, looks like i'll be switching over to Android. Hopefully the Prime/Samsung ICS/720p phone comes to Sprint in Oct.

EDIT: that leak looks like it is going to be released during Black Friday time. Yikes.

Crap! I'm currently phoneless (OG Droid digitizer death). that will suck if it's that long. Good catch!

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

What phone do you currently have? I have the OG D1 and I simply cannot use it as my primary device much longer. I need a bigger screen, faster phone and something with LTE by yesterday.

If I buy the Bionic and the Prime comes out later with rumored specs I'll probably still get the Prime.

Brandon

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
What phone do you currently have? I have the OG D1 and I simply cannot use it as my primary device much longer. I need a bigger screen, faster phone and something with LTE by yesterday.

If I buy the Bionic and the Prime comes out later with rumored specs I'll probably still get the Prime.

Brandon

i'm still sportin' the OG! maybe it's just because i'm old, but with Proj Elite, Steel Droid, and Chevy pumping out roms, i think i can still hold out til the end of the year, if necessary. :cool:

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My first OG Droid died in a drop, the first refurb they sent me had a digitizer failure after a few months, and the digitizer is dead on the right side of the screen on the refurb I have now.

I can't stick with this much longer :/

scotty_pimmpen

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
i'm still sportin' the OG! maybe it's just because i'm old, but with Proj Elite, Steel Droid, and Chevy pumping out roms, i think i can still hold out til the end of the year, if necessary. :cool:

I'm still rockin the OG as well, but with CM7. I'm looking to switch it up, which rom do you recommend?