screen wobble on my captiate glide

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, just picked up the captivate glide yesterday and for the most part am loving it. Today though i was noticing that my screen had a significant wobble. I almost thought about returning it as it really started bothering me. sometimes when i press down on the screen when the phone is closed, i feel the two halves of the phone click together. i would be fine with it just wobbling from side to side but this wobble causes the whole screen to sink in which can really get annoying. does anyone else have this issue? any suggestions??

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Take it back and see if other units do the same. Better to solve the problem before it gets worse down the road.

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I went back to the local AT&T store to see if the display model had the same issue. It did have a wobble, but not quite as much as my device so I decided to keep it as I think it may be an issue with all of them. But if there is a fix for this problem that would of course be great.

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Nah i think I'll keep it. As long as it doesn't get worse I guess I can live with it. I ordered a 2 piece case, so hopefully that will rectify the issue. If not, I figured that I can put tape on the back of the slider to counteract the uneven level, which fixes the wobble (though I don't know if that could be bad for the phone).

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Can you describe the wobble in more detail? Wobble as in when the phone is open or closed the screen portion is loose and rotates (as if the screen was a doorknob). Or when the phone is open or closed and you push on one side of the screen portion it 'seesaws'? Hope some of that made sense :). I just ordered a Captivate Glide for my wife today, should arrive Thursday. Hopefully we won't see this wobble problem. I ordered the body glove case too.

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So the wobble only happens when the device is closed. It has a minimal "doorknob" wobble (i think all sliders have this) but its the seesaw wobble thats more noticeable and bothers me more. Its only on the left side of the device so sometimes when I scroll or click on that side, I can hear the top half of the device clicking down on the bottom half of the device. This only happens occasionally when the phone is held at a certain angle and you're holding it with your right hand.
But other than this issue, the phone is outstanding. Its very fast/responsive, great camera, great screen, and quite thin for a slider.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok I understand now :). I'll see if our phone has the seesaw wobble and if the bodyglove case fixes it. btw how's typing on the Glide? My wife is coming from a BB 9000 and I'm a little worried the flat keys on the Glide will be an issue.

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
the keyboard is flat so there is some adjusting to do. the keys are quite roomy though and give a "click" when you press them which is good. The more I type on this keyboard, the faster and more comfortable i feel with it. Its very different from a blackberry keyboard but I think that after a week you'll be able to type just as fast.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The wife's phone arrived today and there is no seesaw wobble at all. I did not put the case on the phone. Hopefully it will stay that way.

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
hmm. interesting, your wife is very lucky. the one i played with in the at&t store also had the seesaw wobble. also, im not 100% sure, but i dont think i had the wobble at the start when i bought it. i only noticed it after i had the phone for a couple days

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ok nevermind, I think I got the clicking behavior you described when holding the phone with one hand and pushing on the left bottom corner of the phone. It clicks and moves to the right just barely. Happens with and without the case. And only at certain angles.

btw the bodyglove case is a huge PITA to remove if needed. The case covering the battery case is not too bad to remove, but the case that goes over the screen....have not been able to remove it. I think you pretty much have to break the case itself to remove it.

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
so do you think this clicking effect is with all slider phones or did we get defective products? idk its not that bad but i dont wanna exchange it if its with all of them

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it's specific to all Glides and just part of the mechanics of the phone. It's not a deal breaker for us and the clicking behavior isn't causing any real usability problems IMO. It might be worthwhile to visit a Verizon store to see if their QWERTY smartphones exhibit this clicking behavior. Just to check.

iPhone3GS77

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a samsung glide today from someone...I traded my phone for it. And the one thing I was worried about if there would be any type of play/wobble in the screen cause of the slider....well I started using it and noticed a good amount of wobble. I can hold the phone closed in my hand and shake it up and down at a decent speed and it'll clap. And if I'm typing the left side of the screen will clap like the touch screen part is clicking with the keyboard part. I don't know if its a defect or the previous owner didn't take care of it which I hope that's not the case cause I like this phone. Let me know if any of you have the same issue. Thanks

fpsdoug46

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
And if I'm typing the left side of the screen will clap like the touch screen part is clicking with the keyboard part. I don't know if its a defect or the previous owner didn't take care of it which I hope that's not the case cause I like this phone. Let me know if any of you have the same issue. Thanks
yes, i have this same issue. I don't think its a defect since others have this issue. I'm hoping a case will fix this issue, I ordered one a while back but it never shipped. BTW, if you want a fix for this, open the slider and on the back of the slider put some tape (more than 1 layer) and there will be no wobble. I took the tape off howefer because it looks weird/cheap. I wish I could find a way to actually tighten the slider (a la using a screwdriver and tightening something). It doesn't really bother me that much though

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2