Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Captivate Glide worth considering?

Hello,

My son is getting ready to update his phone, he currently has the original Samsung Captivate and was wanting a phone with a slide-out keyboard. The Captivate Glide is about the only Android phone that seems worth while on AT&T. So, is the Glide worth getting?

Here are some of my concerns with the original Captivate and would like to know if Samsung fixed them with the glide:
    1) wrong file sctructure used on the Captivate, causing the phone to be laggy.
    2) App data in with the system data, so when you update the Captivate, it wipes out your apps and their data.
    3) Updates had to be done through Kies Mini which was very buggy at best.

I had a Captivate for a while, but was able to update to a Motorola Atrix about 9 months ago and didn't see any of these problems, so I know that these were the way Samsung implemented Android on the original Captivate.

Please let me know what your thought are on the Captivate Glide.

Thanks,

ROM
    IHO CM7.1

The Captivate Glide is more like the Galaxy S II than the original Captivate. I've never used the original Captivate, but I don't believe the Glide is plagued by the problems that the original Captivate had. I was able to update to 2.3.6 without issues and without losing my apps or data. The phone isn't laggy and has been extremely stable with everything I've used it for. It also gets a great signal and the battery life is very reasonable with normal use. Oh... And AT&T has announced that an update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich should be coming in the coming months. I hope I've helped with your decision. Have a good one!

~Azrael's Kiss~
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is the Captivate Glide worth considering?

I am glad to hear that an update won't wipe out your apps and their data. Sounds like Samsung has improved things a bit.

Thanks,

I got one Friday and I'm very happy with it. Upgraded OTA from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 no problems. I was coming from a Blackberry, so having a real keyboard was on my list of 'required' features.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Glad you like it Trying to sell mine (screen feels small after using a bigger one for so long), and everyone seems to think I'm selling an original captivate, saying I'm pricing it much too high. I may end up keeping it and learning to use the slide-out keyboard instead of swype. It runs mario 64 at full speed with no lag and no onscreen controls bone stock. That's pretty crazy if you ask me

I liked my Captivate Glide initially, but found the keyboard to be too flat, and I'd end up using the touchscreen 80% of the time or more anyway. Also had some very inconvenient accidental presses of that "Home" button at the bottom left.

I also found the battery life to be worse than my ATRIX 4G, and was pretty much dependent on Llama to get me onto WiFi at work and home to get through the day.

TouchWIZ on this phone had problems, including limits on the number of contacts linked together, and periodically failing to ring when certain SNS contacts would call (and attempting to call them would crash the dialer). Didn't happen often enough to be a problem, just enough to be annoying at some really bad times. MotoBLUR on the ATRIX was more obtrusive, but also more stable. Neither holds a candle to Sense 4.0, but I was REALLY not impressed with TouchWIZ. And yes I know I'm probably in the minority.

I had a major bad surprise when I tried to connect it to my new Exchange server recently. That server is set to enforce a PIN number or better on the device, but for some reason the Captivate Glide interpreted this as requiring a strong password, and a PIN not being sufficient. I'm wondering if I got a screwey handset...I did get one of the first ones. That made me very unhappy though.

On the upside the screen is great and you'd never know it was PenTile. It's very comfortable in the hand, and both cameras are very good. Ultimately, though, you'll probably find the keyboard is not worth the bulk. There's supposed to be a GSM/LTE variant of the DROID 4 coming to AT&T: I would wait for that, it's a better keyboard. Or start looking at the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3.