Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: ICS Update downloaded tonight via Kies = AWFUL

Is there an undo button for this ICS upgrade? This phone rocked- now I'm really bummed about problems. Didn't anyone test the software out before they released it?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Samsung doesn't give us an official way to downgrade but it is possible, although you'll have to reinstall all your applications.

I followed the instructions on this xda-developers thread but because I wasn't interested in rooting the phone, I substituted the rooted ROM they suggest in Step 3 and Step 13 with the stock Gingerbread-based firmware from Sammobile.com. The process is simple. First you flash the Carrier-IQ free kernel and then flash the stock ROM, and you are back to a fully-functional Gingerbread-based Captivate Glide.

Remember to do a factory reset after flashing, as you don't want traces of "GingerIceCreamBreadSandwich" messing up your setup.
    Phone: Kyocera Hydro Icon with Android 4.3.
    Tablet: None at this time.

I've had most of the same issues as everyone else (keyboard light, call log, bluetooth, and crashing after a phone call). I'm going to a factory reset later.

Of note, the link to samsung's website with information about the update now says it has been put on hold while Samsung "optimizes" the update for their users.

Edit: Factory restore only clears the user data, but does not restore the OS to Gingerbread.
    Last edited by brandroid_h; 09-16-2012 at 08:00 PM.

As mentioned above, I also found the Samsung links were not functional. I found another procedure on XDA with working links and I was able to flash back to gingerbread
    HOWTO: Flash back to GB after ICS Update on the Captivate Glide - xda-developers
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

Have any of these issues been fixed?

Short answer is NO.

And Samsung has now officially taken down their ICS upgrade page telling people to wait while they "fix" the problem.

Still wondering if we should all consider a class action against Samsung AND AT&T for allowing this to happen without proper testing prior to release. This has cost me time and money as a result let alone the fact that AT&T naturally continues to charge their outrageous rates for everything. Maybe it's time we sued for some money back. Anyone interested? Got some great class action lawyers here in Seattle!

BTW - I did manage to download a different Backup and Restore app (I used MyBackup free trial edition) and then went through the long process of resetting my phone and wiping everything. It did re-boot to ICS and not Gingerbread of course. I did remove my SD card where my backup was saved). Then had to restore all my apps and data after putting my SD card back into the phone and re-installing MyBackup (thankfully almost everything did restore reasonable well except for registrations and passwords - otherwise MyBackup worked like a champ!).

Literally had to re-install all my apps from the restore and so far my phone now seems to work 80% like it used to work. But still no backlit keyboard and poor Bluetooth functionality, among other things. And had to install a better power management app - burns up the battery like crazy.
    Last edited by RobertinSeattle; 10-04-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Just spoke with a service representative. Still no ETA on the update.
    Thanked by:

So has anyone installed the new update yet?

I am. It's good. I had to do a factory reset for it to boot, though. Kies only sort of restored it.

Overall I think it is great. Light works, faster, etc

I'll write more later

I couldn't get Kies to upgrade the phone under Win 8, so I installed it under XP from my laptop. It took an hour or so. I recommend doing a factory reset before installing.

Overall I like 4 - it's faster, fonts look better, and it has a lot of small improvements. Chrome runs and is great. The stock browser is faster too.

Enjoy
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

How's the new update?

Id love to tell you, but for SOME REASON it's stuck on 4%...it's been there for like an hour....WTF is going on? this is the second time it's just frozen on 4%...i d/ced it the first time and it was interrupted, so it's not like my computer is frozen...should I just be patient? how long does this thing take????

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

It worked great for me. Hardware keyboard keys now light up like they're supposed to. I've found no issues so far...

I haven't installed it yet or done anything, but I just got an OTA update pushed down. (I'm on the update that came out in September and did not install the recent update yet.) Anyone else got the update?

Edit: I installed the update. Keyboard back-light is fixed. Not sure what else has changed yet.
    Last edited by brandroid_h; 11-30-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Installed Update

Just updated my wife's Glide and it seems to be working good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

It had a couple of bugs but did a factory reset and all is good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I've tried to update my wife's Glide, but Kies won't recognize her phone. I tried and tried, reinstalled Kies, nothing. On Windows 7.

I upgraded my wife's Glide, and Kies wouldn't recognize the phone until I rebooted the phone. Then it worked with no problem.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12