ICS Update downloaded tonight via Kies = AWFUL

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Sadly the official ICS build for AT&T's Captivate Glide is available through Kies. The build number is I927UCLH2.

Why is the update AWFUL?

1. KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT WON'T TURN ON!!! This is what happens when you copy and paste code for your touch-only devices into a device with a physical keyboard! This enough is a reason to NOT update.

2. AT&T Bloatware cannot be removed! With the Gingerbread firmware, there was some stuff you could uninstall: Family Map, LiveTV, Kindle, YP Mobile... With ICS, your only recurse is to disable the bloatware and leave it there occupying storage space. GRRR!!!

3. More intrusive AT&T branding! You'll get AT&T's alpha tag all the time in the upper-left corner of the screen. Each and every time you open the Contacts application, you'll be nagged about syncing AT&T's Address Book. The boot AT&T logo now comes accompanied by their new stupid tune.

4. Video won't play in landscape mode, unless you leave Auto-Rotate on (I HATE Auto-Rotate) or open up the keyboard. This is idiotic!

5. The update trashes away your home-screen setup. You get the factory shortcuts and widgets instead.

That's all I have found for now. Seriously, if you value your Captivate Glide as a productive communication tool, you will not want this update installed on your phone.

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
1. That sucks
2. Meh
3. Meh
4. Sounds normal to me, is kind of silly.
5. To be expected coming from 2.x to 4.0

Sounds like a normal update, some good, some bad.

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
In the out of box Gingerbread software, videos always played in landscape, the way they should be played, even if you keep the keybozrd closed and even if you disabled auto-rotation. Samsung broke it in thei ICS "upgrade".

catkeepr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, just completed the update and seems to have bricked my phone.

I had problems connecting to Kies and finally corrected that by rebooting the phone.

The update download timed out on me two times but finally completed, then went through the update process and on reboot it just hangs on the "Rethink possible" screen.

If I press and hold the power button, it will power off and then immediately reboot to the rethink possible screen and just stay there.

This has been the worse upgrade experience I have ever had and can't think of anything else. Tried a battery pull but same results.

Guess I'll pull the battery overnight and try again in the morning. If no luck, I guess I'll try for a warranty replacement. :(

Kirbee213

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, just completed the update and seems to have bricked my phone.

I had problems connecting to Kies and finally corrected that by rebooting the phone.

The update download timed out on me two times but finally completed, then went through the update process and on reboot it just hangs on the "Rethink possible" screen.

If I press and hold the power button, it will power off and then immediately reboot to the rethink possible screen and just stay there.

This has been the worse upgrade experience I have ever had and can't think of anything else. Tried a battery pull but same results.

Guess I'll pull the battery overnight and try again in the morning. If no luck, I guess I'll try for a warranty replacement. :(

I had this EXACT issue, and I thought I had tried everything. put your battery back in, make sure it is charged up good enough for a long boot time here.

1. Press and hold the down vol and power until you get the recovery message in the top left. It is going to tell you some crap about being unable to mount E: or w/e just ignore that.

2. Using the vol +/- buttons to move up and down and pressing the power key to select. Wipe user data then (2.b) cache. If it has options for anything else, just wipe the crap (might wanna pull your SD card beforehand).

3. Finally go up to reboot device, and wait...and wait... and wait... make a sammich...

Ok now your phone says "Android is upgradeing x/22" or something like that.

DO NOT SKIP ENTERING IN YOUR GOOGLE DATA HERE!! If you do (and trust me you don't wanna), you will have to wipe user data (settings>back up and reset>factory data reset) and have that long boot again.

Hope that helps! :D
Post back to let me know if it gets you anywhere.

jeyr2012

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This update really ruined it with the whole keyboard backlight not turning on i wish i had seen this post before i acutally updated it :-!

hockeyhippie

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
After an hour of trying random things I finally got Kies to recognize my phone and the update worked fine. Except for the backlight not working, I'm happy with it so far.

Took another hour of random rebooting/unplugging etc to get my wife's phone upgraded too...Kies is really terrible.

hockeyhippie

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My tablet running ICS has the panorama option on the camera app, but it seems like this version does not...I was looking forward to having that feature on my phone. :(

jeyr2012

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
is anyone seeing there text messages showing contacts profile picture? or how about the wallpaper picture no longer moves as u swipe left and right thru homescreen pages?? please let me know im trying to figure this out

catkeepr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, this morning I gave this a try annnnd... It worked like a champ. Phone is now up and working perfectly so far. I did remove the memory card first and in lieu of a sammich, I made some pancakes, but everything went off without a hitch. Thanks for the help on this. Shure beats dealing with customer service.

I had this EXACT issue, and I thought I had tried everything. put your battery back in, make sure it is charged up good enough for a long boot time here.

1. Press and hold the down vol and power until you get the recovery message in the top left. It is going to tell you some crap about being unable to mount E: or w/e just ignore that.

2. Using the vol +/- buttons to move up and down and pressing the power key to select. Wipe user data then (2.b) cache. If it has options for anything else, just wipe the crap (might wanna pull your SD card beforehand).

3. Finally go up to reboot device, and wait...and wait... and wait... make a sammich...

Ok now your phone says "Android is upgradeing x/22" or something like that.

DO NOT SKIP ENTERING IN YOUR GOOGLE DATA HERE!! If you do (and trust me you don't wanna), you will have to wipe user data (settings>back up and reset>factory data reset) and have that long boot again.

Hope that helps! :D
Post back to let me know if it gets you anywhere.

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
is anyone seeing there text messages showing contacts profile picture? or how about the wallpaper picture no longer moves as u swipe left and right thru homescreen pages?? please let me know im trying to figure this out
I noticed the wallpaper not scrolling. But that problem seems to be exclusive to the TouchWiz Launcher. I use Apex Launcher and don't have that problem.

pjs32000

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I also upgraded today. I did a backup with Kies prior to upgrading with no issues. Upgraded to ICS and I also have the keyboard backlight problem. In addition, I cannot get the restore to run from Kies. I have tried numerous times today and keep getting errors. Any suggestions?

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep - no call logs or text alerts history at all. And I want to confirm that the backlit keyboard is dead.

Something some of you might also notice is that your passwords are all wiped out for many of your apps like Facebook and you mysteriously can't log in with your password. Guess what? Hitting the SHIFT key and the character that you want capitalized IS NOT going through! Workaround for now? Hold the shift key down while you hit the character key and it WILL capitalize. Same applies for all Special Character keys - hold that key down when selecting the actual key and it will work (e.g. - the '!' key). This leads me to believe that they've totally messed up the keyboard driver in this version.

I also understand that there may be a slightly changed new upgrade and it may not be necessary to use that really complex Samsung KIES in order to apply the upgrade. Still looking into this. My question is: Why the did Samsung have to interject themselves into the upgrade process when it should have been simple in the first place? This is one of the most poorly handled updates EVER. Even worse than Microsoft! Manufacturers need to get out of the way instead of standing IN the way! I personally know I could have developed a better process for upgrade: Fire at least 90% of the engineers they threw at this project and it'll probably go a whole lot more smoothly in the future! Engineers are NOT always the solution to a problem - all you have to do is ask your customers.

Are you listening, Samsung?

catkeepr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
In addition, there seems to be some missing features. According to the AT&T consumer blog: "There are new lock/unlock features such as the ability to unlock directly to the camera, text messaging, phone dialer, or home screen". This does not appear on my phone after the upgrade.

If you hold your finger on the lock screen, you get the circle with the four direction lines that I assume would point to one of the unlock options, however, there are no options. can only unlock to the home screen.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded my son's Captivate Glide which failed on the first attempt and had to end up do an emergency recovery and initialization. Finally got his phone upgraded. My wife's Infuse wasn't much better when it upgraded to gingerbread. When we upgrade phones, I am definitely looking elswhere than Samsung - KIES has soured me on Samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc