New Chromebook - What is it good for?

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I like the price - cheaper than the new 10" Google Nexus tablet. But what can I do with it? I was just at the Google Play Store and read the promotion of their Chromebook. But it did not convince me I needed one. I have a Windows laptop and a Samsung 10" Galaxy android tablet. But it doesn't appear the Chromebook can use any of the Windows or Android programs I am familiar with so I can't sync files among the devices and work on them like I can start a MS Word document on my tablet and finish it on my laptop.

It sounds like I would have to get all new programs from the Chrome Web Store? It won't run any of the Android programs I already have? Why the whole new OS? Why not have it run Android/Jelly Bean so we can use the apps we already have and are familiar with? I could see having an android Chromebook along with a Nexus 7 tablet. But it just doesn't seem to have a place or purpose between my Windows laptop and 10" android tablet.

And it also doesn't seem like a replacement for either my laptop or tablet. What am I missing about the Chromebook that would make me think I need one?

Last edited:

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, no replies?
Those of you are have a Chromebook or will be buying this new one - what do you do with them? What do you use them for?

KlineAJ

Jul 8, 2010
www.KlineAJ.com
Hi jm345,
A Chromebook has many uses particularly with the new Samsung Chromebook. It is the best of two worlds; portability, and ease of use. When you first start your Chromebook you simply log in to your Google account and it will sync all your Google Chrome Desktop settings,bookmarks, etc. to your Chromebook
It has the fastest start time of any device that I own (Google Nexus 7, Google Galaxy Nexus, Windows 7 Desktop with high specs, Windows 7 Laptop with med specs) and it is ready to go in a matter of seconds.
The one thing that I put my Chromebook through everyday are my classes and work.
In class it is far more simpler and easier for me to use my Chromebook over my laptop and tablet. The doc utility (Like Microsoft Word) is very flexible and rivals it in many ways. Same with the rest of the office suite Google Docs has.
At work the ability to just pick up and go with it has saved me several times as it is never a hassle to carry around. At meetings I simply take my notes and it uploads to the cloud which then downloads to my work computer.
The Chromebook itself is very very very light! In my backpack it feels like I am carrying nothing at all!
The reason for it to be so light is probably due to the limited specs on it. However do not be discouraged by them. I have found the Exynos 5 to be quite versatile and the 2GB of ram to be adequate. The lack of a huge storage drive can be daunting (it was for me as I am used to at least a 1TB) with only 16GB SSD. However once you utilize your Google Drive you will appreciate it so much more! I love how easy it is for all my files across all my devices simply sync together. It is great especially when I go to class and forget that occasional project that I had done months ago!
I am glad I looked into a Chromebook, at first I was wary and almost did return it however as I gave it more time I appreciated it much more and now it is my PC of choice.
If you are on the fence simply buy one. $250 is not too much to ask for and if you simply do not like it just return it. For the ease of use if you happen to go down that road I advise you to buy your Chromebook through Best Buy.
Have a great day.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks KineAJ. Very helpful info. I also just read the review at engadget:
Samsung Chromebook review (2012) -- Engadget

I think it will help to go to Best Buy and try one out. It still seems very close to my Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Logitech keyboard/case. If I didn't already own that tablet the Chromebook would seem more appealing. But now I also have many Android apps I depend on that probably aren't available for Chrome OS.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I like the price - cheaper than the new 10" Google Nexus tablet. But what can I do with it? I was just at the Google Play Store and read the promotion of their Chromebook. But it did not convince me I needed one. I have a Windows laptop and a Samsung 10" Galaxy android tablet. But it doesn't appear the Chromebook can use any of the Windows or Android programs I am familiar with so I can't sync files among the devices and work on them like I can start a MS Word document on my tablet and finish it on my laptop.

It sounds like I would have to get all new programs from the Chrome Web Store? It won't run any of the Android programs I already have? Why the whole new OS? Why not have it run Android/Jelly Bean so we can use the apps we already have and are familiar with? I could see having an android Chromebook along with a Nexus 7 tablet. But it just doesn't seem to have a place or purpose between my Windows laptop and 10" android tablet.

And it also doesn't seem like a replacement for either my laptop or tablet. What am I missing about the Chromebook that would make me think I need one?

You don't need one.

The Chromebook wont be a replacement for your laptop and tablet. For someone who doesn't have a laptop already, though, it fits perfectly between a tablet and a PC. Assuming you utilize Google services, of course.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks KineAJ. Very helpful info. I also just read the review at engadget:
Samsung Chromebook review (2012) -- Engadget

I think it will help to go to Best Buy and try one out. It still seems very close to my Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Logitech keyboard/case. If I didn't already own that tablet the Chromebook would seem more appealing. But now I also have many Android apps I depend on that probably aren't available for Chrome OS.

A Chromebook is significantly different from your Galaxy Tab with a keyboard. Seriously, you don't need one. Let it go.

KlineAJ

Jul 8, 2010
www.KlineAJ.com
I have to disagree with you AzD, I believe the user should try it first as it does provide a different experience from most other devices. For the ease of use and PC ability it definitely goes to the Chromebook. I will be making a review of it against my two ASUS PCs and two Nexus devices in the coming days. Stay tuned as I will be going into great detail.
A Chromebook is significantly different from your Galaxy Tab with a keyboard. Seriously, you don't need one. Let it go.

LouCap

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I own a laptop (MBP), a tablet (Galaxy Note 2), and a new Chromebook. IMHO, while they do share some functionality, they are all very different devices. The Chromebook falls somewhere between the laptop and the tablet, but it is most definitely not inferior to either one. I am finding Google Drive to be quite comparable to MS Office, and storing in the cloud is quite convenient! The Chromebook is lighter than my laptop and has a similar keyboard and it's easier to write long emails or documents than my tablet. So far, it's been my "go to" device for my everyday computing needs. Imagine a super light laptop with the battery life of a tablet and it's not hard to see why people are falling in love with these.

Plazmic Flame

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I would buy online or go to a store right now if it were available in Canada. The Chromebook appeals to me because I mostly do writing and since I use many of Google services I would fit right in.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased mine about a week or so ago from Best Buy. I already own the Note 10.1 & the Galaxy Note 2 phone so I was hesitant about buying it since on the surface I couldn't see what the Chromebook (CB) would do for me the tablet and the phone could not.

However, I figured for $250 I'd take the plunge and give it a shot. It's been a week now, and honestly while I like the form factor and Google integration, I have yet to define its place in my life. At work, in meetings, it's easier to use my own handwriting on the Note 10.1 to take notes than trying to type out what people are saying.
I think because my two primary devices are so unique, with the added functionality of the s-pen, it's hard to fit the CB into my daily routine. For me personally, I literally have to force myself to use it.

That being said, my kids (6 & 8 respectively) have absolutely enjoyed having it around. We have a desktop computer they would use, but the problem with using the desktop you are confined to a particular spot in the house. With the CB, the kids can be anywhere and still access their online spelling activities and other school work which requires internet access. Because of the price point, as compared to my 10.1, I don't have any concerns about them using it.

My wife also always used the desktop to do her coupon thingy, but in the past week she's been dabbling with the CB. With the added cloud printing option, she can view her deals and print coupons from anywhere in the house, without being confined to sitting up in the office at the desktop.

So I believe I will keep it. I purchased it with the thought it would add something to my life, but at only $250 it has proven to be an inexpensive and valuable device around the house for the other family members.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have my Chromebook, an Asus TF300T, and my trusty Bolt.

I use my Thunderbolt for everything. It's always on me, and it is the most convenient device I have for day to day use.

I use my tablet for entertainment; watching movies, playing games, surfing the web, etc.

I use the CB for in-depth surfing (taking the kids to Disney World tomorrow and checking out the parks, as an example), and as my business computer; tracking accounting, clients, and jobs. I was using my Acer a100 for the business stuff, but it really wasn't working for me. The full keyboard makes everything faster and easier, and generating invoices on the spot through Wave accounting just makes my business look that much better. So far, I'm liking it.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
i just got mine the other day. I used to have a laptop but hatted setting it up and it being hot on my lap and all. So I sold it and kept a desk top. I have a nexus 7, galaxy nexus and a S3 but I wanted something with a keyboard to help with paying bills and using sites like this. So far I have enjoyed it. The battery life is great and the screen is nice. It does dim down once you unplug it but even unplugged its nice. If you have a lap top already and like using it you might not need this.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking at getting one of these but I don't think that I'm going to use it enough to justify the cost. If I were in the market to have a laptop, I would definitely get the Chromebook.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree. If you're in the market for a new laptop, then this a great alternative, but if not then you probably don't need one of these. My laptop died about 2 weeks before I got mine, so this was worth the investment.

ksat

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking for a Chromebook lately as well - ever since my Dell Studio XPS 13's screen died and, most recently, the HDD. I think the Chromebook would be most ideal for our family as my wife and I are really just looking for a larger form-factor for browsing the 'net. For beefier activities, we both have desktops readily available, but, for that quick one-off need to be able to jump online to check something out, download a manual, review the bank account, facebook, google+, news sites, etc.... this looks to fit the bill perfectly!

HOWEVER - that being said, I have had a tough time locating one....anywhere! Until recently....Just noticed a couple of OpenBox buys at BestBuy that I am considering....for $219.99, I think it would be well worth it!

But, before I take the plunge....I've seen some rumblings here and there about a possible new version. Anyone know or heard anything more about this new Chromebook that is expected? I know that eventually, ChromeOS and Android will merge...but, that isn't for several years, I believe. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about the re-design, but I really like the current design. The keyboard is great and works well for my large hands, the chromebook is very slim and sleek. I would also like it if Google managed to merge the OS with Android, but even if they don't, I still think the chromebook is very worth the price. And I can recommend it to you, especially for what you want to use it for.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've used mine for a month and i find it satisfactory for a sofa pc. Think of a device that is little more than the Chrome browser . Chrome apps, ok. Web stuff, ok. Drive, okay. Youtube, ok. It's decidedly Google - centric, imagine that.

Java, no. Ssh, no. Ftp, no. Photo editing, don't make me laugh. Games meh, Cut The Rope complained about the processor. I can actually do more with my Nexus 7 and all the top tier apps than this.

That said, once or twice a day I need a real browser. And this connects to my LED TV easy. If spending $250 is something you can just as soon do as pass wind, go for it. Otherwise, this is only a so-so netbook. Like a lot of Google stuff, I think this is still in Beta, and we're all testers.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Can I back up all my media from my GS3 and upload it to my BlackBerry PlayBook? I know it doesn't have windows so how do you manage files?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995