Just Purchased my First Chromebook

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday picked up my pre-ordered Samsung Chromebook from Best Buy. It looks and feels great, and I'm excited about using it. I also own the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and Galaxy Note 2 phone.

Any tips, suggestions, or usage ideas are welcomed! By the way, any suggestion on a slim profile carry case?

gencoabandando

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one for my wife.... she loves it. Also have galaxy nexus and nexus 7. She hasn't had much time to tinker with it but she will. Have you come across any tips or tricks?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one for my wife.... she loves it. Also have galaxy nexus and nexus 7. She hasn't had much time to tinker with it but she will. Have you come across any tips or tricks?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I haven't come across any tips yet, but I am thinking about giving it to my wife. She is not much of a gadget person, and new technology often intimidates her. This unit is fairly simple and easy to use with virtually no set up. I have it with me at work today so I can play around with it. I hope some others chime in with some usage tips.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I just realized there are no tips or tricks, just a great device for internet use.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine today (early Christmas present), and I figure it's gonna take a little getting used to. But so far so good! I'd also be interested in any tips or tricks if anyone comes across any. Thanks.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine today (early Christmas present), and I figure it's gonna take a little getting used to. But so far so good! I'd also be interested in any tips or tricks if anyone comes across any. Thanks.

It's a really nice device. I haven't discovered any tricks per se, but so far I am quite impressed with the battery life.

I also own a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet so at first I didn't really see a need for this device, but the more I use it the more I like it.

Enjoy :)

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know this isn't a tip or trick, but I really like scrolling up and down with two fingers and being able to fling the web page. It's a tiny feature, but I like it.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I know this isn't a tip or trick, but I really like scrolling up and down with two fingers and being able to fling the web page. It's a tiny feature, but I like it.

Yes. That is a good feature. :)

Initially I was using the scroll bar on the side which is not nearly as easy as two finger scrolling.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
ScratchPad! It's a very useful app that rest over whatever you are doing and allows you to take quick notes and have them saved as a Google doc within Google Drive. The other day I'm using the CB to browse the web, and I had scratchpad open to the left. My wife asked me a question which I needed my attention a little later. Well, instead of writing it down, I used scratchpad to make myself a little note/reminder and the task was saved across all my other devices. Pretty nice.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not really tricks, but Chome To Desktop is a fantastic feature!

I also love that my wife can instant message, call, or video chat with my Galaxy SIII directly from her Chromebook using Google+/Talk.

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

Video chat? I'm not sure how to do this, but I will check it out.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I did a video chat by setting up a Google + hangout. I invited my wife, and when she accepted, we could video chat.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Video chat? I'm not sure how to do this, but I will check it out.

Like mighty said above, it's just a Google+ hangout, but it's great! I suggest leaving your Google+ tab open and you can revived/send messages, calls, and video calls just by jumping to it.

Essentially, it uses Talk for text/voice, and Google+ for video chat but both services are in the single Google+ message client. You can use it to chat with anyone on Google+ on their desktop/laptop, or anyone with an Android device/Google+ and Talk (usually stock apps), or I imagine iOS users can download said apps and use it too.

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Any tips, suggestions, or usage ideas are welcomed!

One feature I found today, and I'm sure the rest of you already know about it, is the ability to translate web pages to whatever language you want to read them in. I've been trying to learn Spanish, so I spend a little time on Spanish speaking websites to work on reading comprehension. Today, I couldn't quite figure out what a sentence said, so I researched getting Google Translate for the Chromebook. One of the links I clicked on said that if I 2 finger click within a web page, the option to translate the page will appear in the menu. Sure, enough, a few seconds later, the page was in English. Very cool.

Sent from my ASUS TF5000T.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon