Chrome book newbie

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
OK everyone, newbie to the chrome book here. Been over on the tbolt forum for a while but new to the chrome book as of today! Wife went and bought one this afternoon and handed it to me and said to learn all there is and then I can teach her. Well, fellow cyborgs, give me what I need to know about her new samsung chrome book. The good, bad and ugly... Looking forward to participating here in this forum with everyone.

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I did some research as I was considering using it as my secondary to my Alienware. However I realized the entire selling point is simplicity. IMHO. You don't really have to teach her anything however, I can provide you with more details if you want.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours and you are right it is the simplicity of the device that is it's biggest plus. One of the first things I would like to know is how to adjust the mouse speed. I have large hands and don't like to use the touch pad so one of the first things I did was plug in a mouse. Well, I have to run the thing across the room to get it to move 1 inch on the screen. Any advise? Also, do you have favorite apps? Do you use the google docs? Anything would be appreciated. Again, thanks for the quick response.

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
OK, so after using the google I see that the mouse issue is something that has been a problem for a while with chrome books. Still looking for user experiences with different apps, etc. thanks.

Josh Stark

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, so after using the google I see that the mouse issue is something that has been a problem for a while with chrome books. Still looking for user experiences with different apps, etc. thanks.

To increase the mouse speed you can do that simply by going into the browser and going to settings and there is an option on there should be device and just move the bar up to max for touchpad it was the first thing i did when i got it cause the scrolling and stuff was slow. There is other options you can adjust in there as well. It's basically your whole computer settings area right there. Hope this helps you.

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Josh for the response. I stumbled on that and it did help some, but what I have been reading online is that older mice have real problems with chrome OS. I was using an old travel mouse with the retractable cord at first and it was extremely slow, then yesterday I tried a newer wireless bluetooth mouse and it works much better. I'm really starting to get the hang of this chrome book. As Alex said in his response, it is the simplicity that is makes it different. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours and you are right it is the simplicity of the device that is it's biggest plus. One of the first things I would like to know is how to adjust the mouse speed. I have large hands and don't like to use the touch pad so one of the first things I did was plug in a mouse. Well, I have to run the thing across the room to get it to move 1 inch on the screen. Any advise? Also, do you have favorite apps? Do you use the google docs? Anything would be appreciated. Again, thanks for the quick response.

Aww dude, sorry that I didn't read this. Now I feel bad. I don't have a chrome book so I can't tell you how to adjust mouse speed, but it's probably under computer>mouse if it's anything like Windows. I use and love Google docs because it sinks with everything, far superior to office. As for apps, check the featured section. Again, sorry for not reading this till now. I feel terrible

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I don't see a use for a mouse on the Chromebook. Here is your new best friend: ctrl+alt+/

Learn shortcuts and rarely ever use the mouse or trackpad again. I did turn up the sensitivity to the trackpad for simple things (I use the three finger horizontal and vertical swipe as well as tap instead of click). Also go to chrome://flags and enable some really useful settings. This forum is pretty small as far as Chromebook discussion goes, so I would advise joining the Chromebooks Google+ community. Other than that, make sure that you're aware of Chrome Remote Desktop. I use it in case I forget a file on my desktop. Remotely log in, drop it in Google Drive, and access it on my CB.

I've had mine for three days and will never go back to a traditional laptop again! My 5 year old Macbook Pro will be replaced by a high end Chromebook later this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki