How do I put my movies onto my Chromebook?

ziffos

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a "thicky" or "newby" question - if so I apologize but:-

I already have several movies on my PC (Windows) so the question is: How do I put them onto my Series 3 Chromebook so that I can watch them as and when I want?

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to come up with an answer for you. Don't play movies on my chromebook myself, but did try it using the chrome remote desktop from my home computer and it worked using ms media player remotely. Otherwise, all I've been able to find are a couple of links that might address some of your question. Good luck and let the rest of us know what you do find out. It is a very interesting question.

How to watch movies offline? - Chromebook Forum : Google Chromebook Forums

Supported file types and external devices - Chrome OS Help

These are two links I found.

757Dave

g8rzz187

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I put mine on an SDXC card or a USB 3.0 thumbdrive. I read that .mp4 files are the most likely to play (if they're h264 encoded...whatever that means). I also read that changing the .mkv filename to .mp4 would work, and it has so far. The player is pretty basic, but plays the 1080p files that I've tried well - except one that only plays the audio track with the director talking over the movie instead of the movie sound track. I can't find a way to switch the audio tracks. I love this thing...

ziffos

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@757Dave & g8rzz187 - thank you for your reples and help

If I find anything different I will of course update the thread.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You can also upload anything to Google Drive and then retrieve it on your chromebook, though I find using a memory card is the least amount of trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jmunster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As another option, I store a bunch of media on a NAS unit that my Macs can access via smb or afp. Thought I was out of luck with the Chromebook, but remembered that here is a web interface as well. It is kind of crumby but works to get content onto my Chromebook by way of the local network.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I download games on a chromebook such as minecraft?

Simple answer is because they're too graphically intensive for our machines. More extensive answer will also tell you that you can run Minecraft on an upgraded or altered Acer (hardware or just throwing on Chrubuntu).

why can't I download games like league of legend and minecraft?

:(

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

So if you plan to download lots of movies. music and books using torrents, you're better off using windows pc or mac?

leobloom

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Yep, that's what i do with movies/tv shows I then save them to a USB drive and plug it in the back when required. You can put some on your Chromebook but you have limited amount of space don't forget, with books and documents I keep these in the cloud on Google drive or Dropbox.

tbelle_21

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Download an app called Video Downloader Professional. Then chose a youtube video that you want to download to your computer and go to it. In your top right corner, there will be a movie reel that will turn into a green arrow pointing down. Click the arrow then click where it says "here" in red. It will take the video to a different site. Play the movie, click the arrow at the top right again, then click the download at the bottom that is green and says mp4. It will download to the download files on your computer. I have never had trouble with this so have fun!

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I use an app called SEND ANYWHERE . It's free and it works. Onve on my chromebook, i transfer the movie to my micro SD card. GREAT APP

Posted via Android Central App

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
So if I have movies that are in mkv or avi and have them on my SD card they won't play unless it's in mp4? If so then buying a Chromebook will be stupid. These are the most common formats and if a Chromebook can't play them then that's pretty stupid... I can't see people buying it if it can't perform basic functions...