LectureNotes - Custom PDF Directory?

sahmad88

May 1, 2010
Visit site
How can I change the PDF export directory on my Samsung Chromebook?

Here is some brief background to the question:

I have used an Android tablet in the past. I use the Android app LectureNotes in my classroom for recording the notes for the day on. Then, I export the file as a PDF. I use DropSync to automatically sync these files to a folder in Dropbox. My students have a link to this online folder and can access the files anytime they need. The process is almost automatic and very simple. I use an old Note 8 tablet that is dying and I am looking to replace this. I thought it would be great if I could replace it with the new Samsung Chromebook Plus. I definitely need the stylus support.

In LectureNotes, there is a setting to set the PDF export directory to a location on the device. On Android, this was easy-peasy. I can't get it to work on my chromebook. I know that there are issues with using Android apps on Chrome OS. Is this one of those cases? The thing I don't get is this: If I use the default directory, the PDF is saved perfectly. The only problem is that the default directory stores the PDF mixed in with all of the other LectureNotes files. This wouldn't work to have DropSync sync all of those files. If I change the directory, then when I choose to export the file to PDF, I get a message that the file couldn't be saved.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@sahmad88: The Android emulator on Chrombooks is based on Android 6.0. This means that you need to give LectureNotes the STORAGE permission in the Android system settings (that users are able to revoke app permission was added in Android 6.0) if you wish to set a custom PDF directory.

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@sahmad88: The Android emulator on Chrombooks is based on Android 6.0. This means that you need to give LectureNotes the STORAGE permission in the Android system settings (that users are able to revoke app permission was added in Android 6.0) if you wish to set a custom PDF directory.

Hello
New Chromebook Plus user here. I also want to change the pdf and zip storage directories on the LectureNote app. How do I give it the required permission? Please tell me.
thanks

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@dzigner: The STORAGE permission can be given in the Android system settings: Go to the device (ChromeOS) settings, there should be an entry `Google Play Store´; open it, then there should be an entry `Manage Android preferences´; click on it, this should bring you to the Android system settings; then there should be an entry `Apps´; click on it, scroll to LectureNotes and click on it, then click on `Permissions´.

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@acadoid: thank you. I have changed the zip file location. I want to use a micro SD card to store the pdf files though, and the app does not show the sd card. Is there a way? I have the chromebook in developer mode, if that helps.
thanks

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@dzigner: The external SD card is a different story, the STORAGE permission does not apply there since Android 4.4 (KITKAT). LectureNotes can only write to a specific path, which is ${EXTSDCARD}/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files (where the placeholder ${EXTSDCARD} is to be replaced by the path of the external SD card on your device). So, if the path to the external SD card is /storage/exSdCard (just an example, you need to determine the path on your device using a file manager app), you can use /storage/exSdCard/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files.

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@dzigner: The external SD card is a different story, the STORAGE permission does not apply there since Android 4.4 (KITKAT). LectureNotes can only write to a specific path, which is ${EXTSDCARD}/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files (where the placeholder ${EXTSDCARD} is to be replaced by the path of the external SD card on your device). So, if the path to the external SD card is /storage/exSdCard (just an example, you need to determine the path on your device using a file manager app), you can use /storage/exSdCard/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files.

I tried that. It gives error : cannot create custom pdf directory, will use default pdf directory
(I have already created the directory in the sd card)

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@dzigner: Which exact path did you try?

Note that creating the path manually (for instance, using a file manager) can cause problems, let LectureNotes create the path.

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@dzigner: Which exact path did you try?

Note that creating the path manually (for instance, using a file manager) can cause problems, let LectureNotes create the path.

I tried both ways, same error.
The path I tried was:
/storage/TJCHRMBK/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@dzigner: The path /storage/TJCHRMBK you gave does not look like a path to an external SD card. How did you determine this path? Note that you need to determine the path inside the Android emulator (I understood that you use a Chromebook).

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@dzigner: The path /storage/TJCHRMBK you gave does not look like a path to an external SD card. How did you determine this path? Note that you need to determine the path inside the Android emulator (I understood that you use a Chromebook).

Hello
thanks for working on this for me. As you know, Chromebook has too little disk space to store all the data files.
The Files app, native on Chromebook, accesses the SD card, and the path there is TJCHRMBK

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@dzigner: This is the path to the external SD card of ChromeOS. The file system of ChromeOS and the file system of the Android emulator are not identical (at least not on the Chromebooks that I came across); there are overlaps (for instance, the `Downloads´ directory and its content is the same in ChromeOS and in the Android emulator), but you need to determine the path to the external SD card of the Android emulator; you can do this via Android apps, for instance via an Android file manager app or an Android terminal app.

yodahe

May 1, 2019
Visit site
Hello
thanks for working on this for me. As you know, Chromebook has too little disk space to store all the data files.
The Files app, native on Chromebook, accesses the SD card, and the path there is TJCHRMBK

i encountered the same problem when changing directory to sdcard and instead of writing the path used by the file app ( 3AE7-5612/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files ) which kept giving me error messages i used extSdCard ,meaning i used (/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files) as dzigner suggested and it worked for me. Thank You .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech