So I got the Phone today.......

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Surprised I am the first poster in this thread...

I had the Fascinate, the company bought a continuum and I said I would take it..

I must say it is interesting..I have only had it for a couple hours so I can only speak to what I have tried thus far.

The Ticker--obviously the big change in the phone. It is cool, but there is a learning curve imo. After you get used to it being there, it is nice. It is nice to have the phone pop on with a notification. BUT, if your running Touchdown, it won't display those notifications in the "ticker" That isn't a deal breaker for me, as hopefully in the future there will be away to assign it.
You can do RSS feeds, some are already built in you can subscribe too. And you can put in your own...again nice.

--- The ticker reminds me of a built in "NO LED" application for alerts. Except, it doesn't stay on (I am sure in the future they will alter it so you can make it blink or whatever) and it gives more information.

Another thing about the ticker is when you grip the phone from the side, it turns on and if you tap the clock the phone powers on and you don't have to "puzzle piece" it on. I like that.

Coming from the Fascinate the screen size is smaller ... little adjustment, but its OLED as you all know and very nice.

GPS...Instant lock...I mean instant. I downloaded Google Maps and it locked instantly..tried it several times and had no lag at all. So whatever bug is in the Fascinate they fixed it in this phone. Also the call quality has no side tone that I have noticed. Very Clear.

I have launcher pro on it, works fine, no issues.

Overall the more I use the phone, the more I really like it. The 'ticker' really grows on you after awhile..text messages display on it which is nice..email etc. If developers use the ticker area to its potential, it really will be cool.

One last thing about email...Samsung changed it a little. Everything is one account, but its a little confusing. You have a 'gmail app' like we are all used to...then you have an "EMAIL" app that Samsung uses..but they want you to put all your accounts in there..gmail, personal pop/imap email. It uses the ticker for emails..but for example I have my gmail in there and then on my "gmail app" so I am getting double notifications right now..

Also, corporate email is its own icon. Before I could combine the two, so I had all my email in one spot...

Not sure why they did that.

If anyone is thinking about getting the phone, and has questions ask away.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I went to look at it today, along with the droid pro, and it's about what I expected it to be. I wasn't thrilled about the size, but I've been used to trying out bigger phones lately. The size isn't really a negative, it's just not a right fit for me.

The ticker is a really cool concept, but I'm finding myself wishing it wasn't all part of the same screen. If you look closely enough at the buttons you can count the pixels, because they're just an image on the screen. I didn't do anything with the "life grip", so I couldnt see what the upper screen does, but it seems to me like if the bottom part turns on the top has to as well. If I'm wrong here, OP, PLEASE correct me!

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The top doesn't have to turn on.
I think the biggest draw back is screen size. I like the bigger screen.

That might be the deal breaker.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
If the top doesn't have to turn on for the bottom to light up, then how can it be all 1 screen? I've never seen a screen that can only turn part of itself on before.

I wanted to mention as a side note, when I was in there to look at the droid pro and the continuum, they had already loaded a task killer on both of them. It's as if that's the first thing they do when they turn the phones on. I deleted both before leaving :)

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
If the top doesn't have to turn on for the bottom to light up, then how can it be all 1 screen? I've never seen a screen that can only turn part of itself on before.

I heard that Super Amoled doesn't consume battery, if it's black. Hence one screen can have top off but bottom on simultaneously. SAmoled is the only tech that allows this.

It's an interesting strategy on Samsung's part. If this ticker becomes the standard, SAmoled must be used for all future phones. As you know, Samsung is the only company with SAmodel technology.

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that the bottom screen while showing some good information does not replace your need for the main screen.

Its a preview but you always need to turn on the main screen.

The phone is nice and it should show that Samsung for sure knows how to do GPS and call quality.

I think if the screen was bigger and the ticker was better integrated it would be more interesting.

Also the fact that you need to run samsungs gmail in order for ticker notification to work is frustrating as I don't think its as well done as Google's.

The bottom line is mine will be going back. Just not worth the $200.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

avanti1963#AC

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Caution when purchasing your Continuum phone case! Be sure to check if there are cut outs on each side of the lower section of the case so your fingers can make contact with each side of the case when activating the ticker display. Apparently the ticker screen is activated by capacitive touch and will not work if it is being blocked by the case. I purchased a soft silicone case without cut outs and you can not activate the ticker display when the case is attached. I will be interested in what others are finding.

CHP02

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an HTC Eris and one of the things I really dislike about it is that the vibrate is very weak. I'm curious to hear if you have an opinion on the strength of the vibrate on the Continuum?

AdrianJNYC

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I've went to check out this phone yesterday, and its pretty nice. I like the ticker concept, but the screen is too small (perhaps, a future version will have a larger screen).

I've seen a couple of people with the Continuum walking in the streets and they seem just fine with their new toys.

piccpete

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
silicone case / ticker

Caution when purchasing your Continuum phone case! Be sure to check if there are cut outs on each side of the lower section of the case so your fingers can make contact with each side of the case when activating the ticker display. Apparently the ticker screen is activated by capacitive touch and will not work if it is being blocked by the case. I purchased a soft silicone case without cut outs and you can not activate the ticker display when the case is attached. I will be interested in what others are finding.

Wish I had read your comment before I purchased the case. Not sure if I should get a different case? I am QUITE ANNOYED at not being able to activate the ticker screen; :mad: there are lots of features there that I like! Should I just dump the case? Get a differnt case? Go caseless? cut holes in the darn thing?
Thanks for letting me vent...

piccpete

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
double notifications

<...> One last thing about email...Samsung changed it a little. Everything is one account, but its a little confusing. You have a 'gmail app' like we are all used to...then you have an "EMAIL" app that Samsung uses..but they want you to put all your accounts in there..gmail, personal pop/imap email. It uses the ticker for emails..but for example I have my gmail in there and then on my "gmail app" so I am getting double notifications right now..
Also, corporate email is its own icon. Before I could combine the two, so I had all my email in one spot...
Not sure why they did that.
If anyone is thinking about getting the phone, and has questions ask away.

YES, question please... I am getting the double notifications as well. Gmail has been my main email account for years anyhow, but of course, I have several other accounts.
Any suggestions on how to make them come as only one notification? Would like them to all come into the Email app, including my gmail.
THANK YOU!

RedSoxFan#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I am just about a week in with my Continuum and this is my first Android device. I was a Blackberry user for the past 5 years and my company wanted me to switch to Android. I must say, I am REALLY surprised at what these things can do and realize how much RIM is behind. The only issues I was worried about were battery life (which so far hasn't been too bad) and typing. The auto correct on the Android has been nice and I seem to be able to type relative fast texts and emails.

Finally, I chose the Continuum for just the opposite reason everyone else in here (that doesn't own one) didn't.......the size. I want a device that can 1) Fit in my pocket and 2) Allow one hand control. I don't like the fact that the Fascinate or other devices were too big for one hand. I hate having to have both hands operate a device...........hey, I'm multi-tasking these days (LOL!!) Overall, with a few extra apps and Launcher Pro Plus, my device is buzzing. Highly recommend the phone!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01