add email to ticker and more!!!

iffy

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
ive searched online, but cant find specifics on how i would go about adding my gmail to the ticker. i have it setup so it informs on the main screen, but not on the ticker. any help would be appreciated, just got the phone today and am still playing with it to see how everything works. its the first smart phone for me.

any apps people recommend i install?? i had the guy at verizon install something called "app killer" and he said it would help with battery life?? dont know how true that is.

im curious, if i log onto a wifi network, does my account still get hit with charges and usage? i opted for the 15$/150mb plan as i dont really go online that much do to my work.

im sure i have alot more questions, im still just getting the hang of this thing.

thanx
IffY

vxaxv17

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Only certain apps that are currently designed to work with the ticker will display anything in the ticker itself. I dont know exactly what the list of apps that work are, but I know its pretty limited right now. I've read conflicting information as to whether or not we will see more supported apps in the future so we may just have to wait and see.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
To be honest right now is not the time to buy a device from Verizon. If you are within your 30 days and still have your last device, it would be a better idea to return it and hold out. I would go with a different, more supported, Android device, such as a Droid X, or even Fascinate, but this device will likely not receive much attention from the development community, which is what determines how well those apps you see on the Market work.

The other option of course is to wait for the Verizon Iphone 4 or Iphone 5 (which may come as early as this summer). Needless to say I wouldn't recommend holding on to this device since the ticker will unlikely get off the ground. It is a cool idea, but would require a decent amount of specific coding since no other devices have the extra functionality. Without a huge marketing push nor any other big-time features on the device, you really need to have a different reason for wanting this phone more than the others on the market. Will Verizon employees tell you it is unlikely to receive much app attention? Of course not! Will they say, you should hold off and buy one of the many much more powerful Android devices that are coming in the next couple months??? Again, of course not, if they think they can make a sale....but these are all things most do not know when deciding to buy a phone or not.

My fiance got one before the Iphone announcement and is now screwed because her old device sold quickly on Ebay. But I definitely urge you to return your device and wait another month if at all possible. If you have to have a device right now, and lock yourself into a two year contract, get the X, or fascinate as those are more powerful. One more thing I left out is there is drama going on about Samsung not updating their Galaxy S line to the Android version that has been on the market for 6-7 months....it is causing some controversy, and may continue to be a headache for you when everyone else gets features that your phone should have, but does not get.

iffy

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The Iphone is a nice idea except that this one cost me 54$. For the price of the Iphone alone I have a year+ worth of internet. I don't use the net that much, and I don't need uber awesome programs. I'm pretty much happy with this phone as is. I'm sure samsung will come to some agreement eventually. the ticker for the clock alone saves me the trouble of having to turn the whole phone on to see what time it is. All I would really need is for my email to pop up there and I'm a happy camper.

As an aside, verizon now only has a 14 day return policy, and 35$ restocking fee.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
well fair enough....keep an eye out here for rooting procedures. There are really devoted members that use the Software Development Kit released by Google to add functionality. Just have to follow steps for gaining root access, which may sound intimidating, but luckily there is not a huge flood of information for this device, so you won't have to do hours of research to find out how you yourself can make this device do what you want it to.

Happy Hacking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol