1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default should I use clockworkmod recovery to root my phone? seems too easy.

I just now installed clockworkmod (touch) recovery on my Samsung Galaxy S3 ( SPH-L710 ). It seems to be working fine.

The reason I installed this was to root my phone. When I select the reboot option from the clockwork mod recovery menu I get the following opportunity to root my device.

should I use clockworkmod recovery to root my phone? seems too easy.-cwm_root_option.jpg

Will this work and, if so, is there some downside to rooting in this way? Over the past day or so I've seen quite a bit of instructions having to do with "flashing SuperSu". "deknoxification", etc so this seems a little too good to be true.

If it were not for the "THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE" message at the top of the screen I would just try it but that note makes me cautious.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default Re: should I use clockworkmod recovery to root my phone? seems too easy.

I went ahead and chose the "yes" option.

As far as I can tell it didn't make any difference except that when I rebooted again using CRM, the choice didn't show up. The phone was not rooted.

I *was* able to go on to root my phone using the process described here with some modifications:

For the record, here's the process I went through to root my phone, a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 ( SPH-L710 ) running Android 4.3 :

• Installed drivers on my computer to access my phone via usb. I think these came with kies ( ).

• Installed odin 3.07 on my computer ( downloaded from here: )

• Downloaded (to computer) CF-Auto-Root from here: and installed it using Odin. This worked exactly as described here: except that it did not root the phone. I suspect this step was unnecessary but I have no way of knowing for sure.

• Downloaded (to computer) ClockworkMod touch Recovery from here: and installed using Odin. The guide that I was using suggested using TWRP but when I tried to install TWRP, odin crashed as described here: odin now crashes when I press start ( link also contains notes on converting downloaded .img file to .tar file ).

• From this point on, I no longer needed to use Odin.

• Rebooted into recovery mode, selected reboot option, then answered "yes" when given opportunity to "root" phone. I don't know if this made any difference or not.

• Flashed (by downloading to computer, transfering via usb to phone, and installing using ClockworkMod Recovery ) SuperSu ( downloaded from here: ) and KnoxRemover (downloaded from here:)

• Installed and ran the SuperSu app from the play store. This prompted me to upgrade to the latest SuperSu version using ClockworkMod Recovery and then rebooted.

• At this point a root checker from the play store verifies that my phone is rooted.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: should I use clockworkmod recovery to root my phone? seems too easy.

Glad you got it sorted. At least you are rooted.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here