Notifications do not appear on the lock screen ...

fa355115

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I see notifications are not displayed on the lock screen (so if phone is on the table, black screen, and I receive a notification, it rings a bell but nothing is displayed on the screen, unless I wake up the phone then notifications are displayed ....)

I checked all the menus but could not find any option to enable this.

P.S. I have installed the "AC Display" app and with that app it is working .... notifications are displayed ...

Any idea ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is this for text messages? That's the only app that Samsung bundles with their devices that lights up the screen for notifications. You can mimic that with some 3rd party apps as well, but other apps, unless specifically supporting it, won't turn on the screen for notifications.

fa355115

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for replying ... it is for all notifications (Whatsapp, mail, facebook etc ...), except the SMS (for SMS I got notification on lock screen)

There is an option in Parameters -> Lock screen / Security -> Notifications -> Notifications on lock screen where you can enable the apps which will show notifications on the lock screen, but although it is enabled for all, my mobile just rings a bell but the screen stays black (Only way I have to see notifications then is to unlock the phone).

If this option is present I would guess not only SMS notification should be displayed on lock screen !!

P.S. Using an app like AC display is allowing to display all notifications, but I prefer the "native" notifications screen ...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, that option only displays the information on the lockscreen, BUT the lockscreen is not displayed unless the screen is on. The only app that does this by default is Samsung's messaging app. Some 3rd party apps have an explicit option to enable this, but most don't turn on the screen if off.

Like you said, this would be possible with third party apps, but not natively.

fa355115

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
So the lock screen is NOT the black screen when the phone sleeps but the locked screen you need to unlock with pin or fingerprint ??

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, hence the name 'lock screen'. Having the screen turn on with every notification would have a very negative impact in your battery unless you have an AMOLED screen and most of the screen is black.

fa355115

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
ok ... and is it normal as well that the phone is not automatically waking up when its book cover opens ?
I also have a galaxy Tab S where the screen turns on when I open the cover ... the phone not ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That I'm not sure. I think these new phones don't just use a magnet for that function but an actual 'smart chip' in the cover, but I might be wrong. I never use flip covers with my phones anymore, so couldn't say. I know a magnet is enough for tablets, but for the phone I'm not sure if you need the chip or if the magnet alone would work.

RachelD31

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
Just taken me the best part of half a day to work this out but to allow notifications on lock screen (of my Galaxy A5 2017) you have to have security on your phone ie a password otherwise there's no lock screen notification options. Once you've changed that you can make the contents hidden.