Android Jellybean 4.1.2 Storage Question

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone please explain to me about Device Memory Storage, USB Storage which is the internal SDCard as far as far as I know. I'm not concerned about the ExtSDCard as I understand what is going on there with the storage, so here goes.

As per my image attachments you will see in Device Memory it shows I have 455MB used and 773MB free.

In USB Storage on SDCard which I believe to be the internal card it shows as per image 44MB used and 1.1GB free.

I have also attached an image for storage which shows all 3 together for System Storage, USB Storage and SDCard, and on this image for SD card this is actually the External SDCard, yes I know it's confusing.

So my question, as you will notice if you add up the data for the USB Storage, the image with the green ticks and compare it to the details at the bottom of the image, they don't add up.

The image with the green ticks are apps that I have moved from device memory to SD card which is the internal card, so why does it say only 44MB used?

I expected to see more data in the USB Storage as I assume that the internal SD card is in actual fact USB Storage. I don't appear to have much on the USB storage irrespective of moving many apps from the device storage to USB storage.

Hopefully these images with help you understand why I am confused about this.

The SD card with the used storage of 3.57GB out of 14.87GB is correct as this is where I have music and images which is the External card.

Am I missing something here, any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• Application Manager All - Device Memory.png
    Application Manager All - Device Memory.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Application Manager USB Storage SD Card.png
    Application Manager USB Storage SD Card.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Storage All 3.png
    Storage All 3.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 9

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do the apps that you have installed to the Internal SD card also show up in Device Memory as taking up the same space? So in other words, does Android Forums also show up in Device Memory as using 5.12 MB? I ask because I'm wondering if that 5.12 MB truly represents how much of the app is on the Internal SD, or if it just represents how much memory in total (spread between Device Memory and Internal SD) that Android Forums takes up. Although I think I know the answer--on your first screenshot, I think that app that takes up 2.29 MB is also Android Forums, which would blow my theory to hell.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Do the apps that you have installed to the Internal SD card also show up in Device Memory as taking up the same space? So in other words, does Android Forums also show up in Device Memory as using 5.12 MB? I ask because I'm wondering if that 5.12 MB truly represents how much of the app is on the Internal SD, or if it just represents how much memory in total (spread between Device Memory and Internal SD) that Android Forums takes up. Although I think I know the answer--on your first screenshot, I think that app that takes up 2.29 MB is also Android Forums, which would blow my theory to hell.

When installed they originally installed to the Device Storage, and when I go to manage applications there was an option to move to SDcard which I did which was a few weeks ago, this image may answer your question there.

Android Forums Screenshot.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you're right, it doesn't add up. Maybe try clearing the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. Follow the instructions in this video, but instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition. Then Reboot System Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgdsyDshHU

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The opposite option of Move To Device Storage is Move To SD card meaning the internal card storage nothing to do with the External Card, however it does get confusing when talking about it as on the phone images as you will see it refers to it as plainly SD card on the Storage highlighted image, I just wish Samsung would have named the External card as it actually is instead of calling it SD card which confuses some people between the external card and the already built in storage card.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I performed as per that video for Wipe Cache Partition, the USB storage has gone up slightly but it's only showing as 49MB used, so something isn't quite right. here is an image now of the USB storage. Should I have needed to remove the battery when wiping the Cache? I just turned off the phone cold and performed the steps to get it into the mode to perform such action for Android system recovery.
Screenshot USB Storage.png

Nihal Rathod

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Dude, system storage is the place where all of your application are installed. Usb storage is sdcard the storage you use within the phone and the external sdcard you inserted.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Dude, system storage is the place where all of your application are installed. Usb storage is sdcard the storage you use within the phone and the external sdcard you inserted.

So as per my images are you saying that all is showing as it should be? why is it only showing USB storage as around 49MB as it is right now?

You say "and the external sdcard you inserted." this is seperate surely as I am using 3.57GB from the External SD card.

Nihal Rathod

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes brother check out your this screenshot. Don't count the apps. In it.
pegezy5e.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the terminology is needlessly confusing. The "SD card" is in fact the Internal Storage, sometimes referred to as Internal SD. I'm not sure why it doesn't completely add up.

Oh, and no need to remove the battery for a cache wipe.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So in other words why is the USB storage showing so little data as per my image on the opening post when quite clearly I have more app data than that that I moved from Device Storage to internal USB SD card storage?

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes brother check out your this screenshot. Don't count the apps. In it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/pegezy5e.jpg

Ok, I add 19.19MB + 14.25MB = 33.44 plus 128KB, excluding the Applications. As you say this only adds up to around 33.44MB plus 128KB, not sure how to add the 128kb, wouldn't have thought that small amount of data would make much difference to the total, so does this not fall short of what I have installed onto the SD card, this is my fundamental question.

Nihal Rathod

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Dude. Some of the MB is taken by the sdcard. And secondly the apps your talking is moved from your internal storage to external sdcard.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I have done the calculation for the USB Storage not including the Apps data, and the result is 33.56500 megabytes, would you not agree that according to my images this falls short?

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Dude. Some of the MB is taken by the sdcard. And secondly the apps your talking is moved from your internal storage to external sdcard.

Not sure what you mean when you say "the apps your talking is moved from your internal storage to external sdcard. Are you saying I have apps on my external SD card? if you are then this is incorrect as I only have music and videos on my External SDcard. On this smartphone it doesn't allow any applications to be moved to the external SD card that I manually inserted when I bought the phone.

The only option for apps on this phone is Device or USB Storage and not the External card.

Nihal Rathod

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
The apps never move the data of the apps move. Go to external folder and check out the android folder. That is all your apps data.

Last edited by a moderator:

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have gone into Application Manager, and have added the data in MB for each Application that I manually moved from Device Storage to USB Storage Internal SD card, and the total amount is 100.74MB, this is nowhere near what the phone is telling me in Storage, please check out my opening post images as they show around 50mb only, or it showed 44MB earlier as per that image, still about 50% short.

Just incase I have confused when I talk about External Card, I am referring to the Micro SD card that is bought separately and fits into the little slot at the side of the phone.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't sweat it--you're right, it doesn't add up. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps a fair amount of the Internal SD storage reported by those apps is actually cache data, which the system might not count toward the actual space taken up (since cached data can be presumably cleared out as needed by the system). For example, take a look at this screenshot of the Android Central app info. You can see that it reports the total storage as 25.61 MB, comprised of 11.33 MB for the app and 14.28 MB for the data. But there's an additional 96.72 MB from the cache--which doesn't count toward the total storage of the app itself.

Screenshot_2014-06-05-22-25-44.jpg

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Is there a fast way of finding your own posts/threads on this app? I always have difficulty finding a specific post that I have made without receiving an email link for it.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Subscribe to the thread by tapping the bookmark icon with the plus sign in the top border. Then you can find it in Favorite Threads.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1