Supports WMA files but won't play WMA files

Razorfn

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been stuck on this for a while, no matter what I do my phone wont play the new music I try to put on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are these WMA files that you ripped from a CD on your own, or are they files you purchased from a music service like Zune? If you purchased the WMA file, maybe it's DRM protected, in which case you wouldn't be able to play it on a device after simply copying it over.

Have you tried playing the files using different media players, like Winamp, PowerAmp, or MortPlayer?

Where are you storing the WMA files on your phone? Does your media player even see them?

Razorfn

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I download my music from Youtube. All the other songs I downloaded work in both the built in music player and Po werAmp. I store the songs on a microsd card. Those songs are .wma and I made the new ones .wma but they won't work

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using some kind of software to download music from YouTube that converts it to WMA? As you probably know, you can't simply tack on a .WMA suffix to make it a playable WMA file.

Posted via Android Central App

Razorfn

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
It gets downloaded as .wmv and is played as .wmv on my computer. I use Realplayer to convert it to .wma format. The files work on my computer as .wma but my phone won't play and gives the error message that "the audio format is not compatible"

vicvlad

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, a real hair puller: but now I can start the regrowth! Well, at least in theory. I finally managed to transfer all my music files from my computer to my Note 3.
Most of my .wma files played after using the usual media sync/drag and drop method.
Then I changed those that couldn't play to .mp3: a good fix for most.
My coup de grace for the real hair-tearers was to dip into a parallel universe: I converted the remaining 'non-playable' .wma files into iPod compatible AAC (aka .m4p or MPEG 4) files. Now I can again warmly embrace my new Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12