The Samsung Galaxy Alpha has been announced...

SteveyAsp

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
re:

I struggle to see how you can say it's a metal framed version of the S5 when all the spec's are lower including the screen size.
It's a mid tier handset that will have a high end price tag....Once again Samsung are trying to be Apple and I'm sure there are some people who will buy it.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

I don't get the battery size. Alone that would deter me from buying this phone. I'm just going to stick with my GS5 which is probably better in just about every way

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
re:

So spec wise would you rather have a 2.5 quad core or a 1.8/1.3 octo core?

I am one of the few that would probably prefer the 4.7 inch screen. I have a feeling that this phone will never be released on Verizon. If it is and I like it I'm sure I'll have zero problem trading my S5 for one.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's kinda funny, because Sammy just released a phone that most of the Sammy fans that we know will hate... but at the same time, this answers the needs of many other users who want Sammy to stop their current trend and try a different approach. Obviously they're playing to both markets instead of only those who can't look past a spec sheet... so how long until we find out how well they executed on it? Will this be a raging success like the Moto X or a dud because it shot too low and didn't provide any compelling features or ingenuity to justify the atypical approach?

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

Anyone know if this is going to have a US release? Hope that's not a dumb question but everything I've stumbled upon in regards to the Alpha mentions a UK/Europe carry.

devashish90

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

It is unfair to call Alpha a "version" of S5. It is certainly better than S5. Here is my take :-
1. Exynos 5430 is probably the first 20nm SoC in a commercial device. Advantages over 28nm chips like SD801/805/Exynos52xx are obvious in terms of power efficiency as well as performance, and in benchmarks, Alpha has already proven this. yet to prove its power efficiency though.
2. Lower resolution on this is actually a plus. By doing so, they came closer to what the human eye can notice. Carving for UHD/1440p displays is moving insanely wrong direction. Alpha's display will not be a battery sucker for sure.
3. The above two points imply why Samsung went for a smaller battery. It might have gone the other way as well, keeping a monster battery and losing the elegance.
4. Samsung should refrain itself from using metal elsewhere on the body other than the frame to keep the device safe from mechanical injuries. Yeah, removable battery and back cover make devices more tolerant to drops and falls. More Metal/Unibody is a step away from device's mechanical safety.
5. A dual SIM neo version should be launched soon in emerging markets. probably with a hexa-core 20nm exynos with LTE.
6. Would have been better if it was IP67 certified.

Let's see how this device fares in daily use.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

I agree some of the specs are worse than the S5 but it's probably not for the S5 buyer.
I wish it had an expandable memory slot and a higher res screen.

cbobb123

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the battery size. Alone that would deter me from buying this phone. I'm just going to stick with my GS5 which is probably better in just about every way

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

It's because it's so thin, they couldn't fit in a larger battery. However battery shouldn't be too bad as it's 720p.

Jonathan Leduc

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

It is unfair to call Alpha a "version" of S5. It is certainly better than S5. Here is my take :-
1. Exynos 5430 is probably the first 20nm SoC in a commercial device. Advantages over 28nm chips like SD801/805/Exynos52xx are obvious in terms of power efficiency as well as performance, and in benchmarks, Alpha has already proven this. yet to prove its power efficiency though.
2. Lower resolution on this is actually a plus. By doing so, they came closer to what the human eye can notice. Carving for UHD/1440p displays is moving insanely wrong direction. Alpha's display will not be a battery sucker for sure.
3. The above two points imply why Samsung went for a smaller battery. It might have gone the other way as well, keeping a monster battery and losing the elegance.
4. Samsung should refrain itself from using metal elsewhere on the body other than the frame to keep the device safe from mechanical injuries. Yeah, removable battery and back cover make devices more tolerant to drops and falls. More Metal/Unibody is a step away from device's mechanical safety.
5. A dual SIM neo version should be launched soon in emerging markets. probably with a hexa-core 20nm exynos with LTE.

I'm sorry. Isn't putting lower resolution billed as "that's all the eye can see" and under powered specs for style reason exactly what Apple have been doing for years?

It's obvious there's a difference between a 1440p and a 720p screen. Because YOU don't like it does not make it wrong.

I think Samsung made a phone for iPhone lovers in hopes it will bring iOS users to Android. Point.

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
re:

I agree some of the specs are worse than the S5 but it's probably not for the S5 buyer.
I wish it had an expandable memory slot and a higher res screen.

OceanView nailed it, no SD capabilities hobble the Alpha, if I wanted a fixed amount of memory, lower specs, and downsized screen, I could buy something from Cupertino.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
re:

I like your optimistic wait and see approach. I've been basically saying similar things. I don't like how Samsung has bloated TouchWiz over the past couple years though. They really need to work on that. I do think this device would make a great Google Play edition or Android Silver phone though if the price were right.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Samsung is so lost right now.

Wow. I am shocked that this is what Samsung released. No snapdragon 801, 720 screen, FEABLE battery, no expandable storage. They must have thought all they needed to do is release a phone with metal and everything would work out?

Samsung's mobile division is in serious need if a shakeup. What is the point of this phone?

Posted via Android Central App

tlr115

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung is so lost right now.

After the Galaxy Zoom and the Galaxy Round I don't see this as much of a shock. Samsung likes to release a lot of variants to the Galaxy series.

cbobb123

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Regarding the battery, I found a review on a Russian website which said: " GALAXY Alpha battery is removable, but small capacity - 1860 mAh (perhaps this is again done with an eye on the iPhone, plus there are physical limitations due to the small thickness of the body).*However, here again, helps display, AMOLED matrix are more economical, plus the software is well optimized.*HD video at full brightness with active Wi-Fi reproduced more than 11 hours, which is similar to GALAXY S5 mini.*It is traditionally successful for Samsung usage scenario, where the brand smartphones unconditional champions, even with not the most powerful batteries."

Attachments

• 86504.jpg
    86504.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 86503.jpg
    86503.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 40
  • 86502.jpg
    86502.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 40